EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Hetheru's Corner » To catch ancient times in art

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: To catch ancient times in art
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archeopteryx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which are your favorite artists when it comes to pictures and reconstructions of humans, environment or wildlife in ancient times?

Here is one of mine: Swedish-Finnish artist Tom Björklund who paints ancient humans and their environment. He also paints prehistoric and contemporary wildlife.

Here are a couple of examples of his art:

-

From left to right, top to bottom:

-Stone age woman from Finland
-Western Hunter gatherer girl from Denmark
-Boy from pre-Columbian Caribbean
-Neanderthal boy

Tom Björklund on Facebook

Tom Björklund on Instagram

--------------------
Once an archaeologist, always an archaeologist

Posts: 2836 | From: Sweden | Registered: Mar 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as ancient Egyptian depictions are concerned, I'm rather partial to those by Sanio.

-
 -
His Instagram
And his Etsy shop

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7211 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Antalas         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
J.F. Oliveras (even though he blocked me on Instagram lol), he tries to be as historically accurate as possible :

Philip II of Macedonia

-

Carthaginian officer and Libyan mercenary

-

Persian immortal

-

J.F. Oliveras

Posts: 1779 | From: Somewhere In the Rif Mountains | Registered: Nov 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archeopteryx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^ Cool pics.

Another artist who also makes pictures of ancient warriors and others, is Peter Connolly. He is the author of books like Hannibal and the enemies of Rome and Greek armies.

-

Mycenaean warriors

-

Etruscan warriors

--------------------

Posts: 2836 | From: Sweden | Registered: Mar 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Angus McBride also has a lot of cool illustrations.

-
 -
 -
 -
 -

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7211 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
^^ Indeed. I was about to post him, but you bet me to it. Pity he is not with us anymore.

--------------------

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Another picture by Angus McBride, used as cover for a book in the Osprey book series Men at Arms

-

--------------------

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Giovanni Caselli is an Italian artist who made a lot of vivid paintings of ancient people and environment. He has also made pictures of mythological figures and Dinosaurs.

-

-

Larger image, Zhoukoudian

Larger image, Neanderthals

Larger image, Lake Mungo

Larger image, Dolni Vestonice

--------------------

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Here one can read about how the artist Gregory Manchess made the illustrations to National Geographics article The Black Pharaohs.

There are a couple of question marks though. Piankhy and Taharqa was not the same person as he writes. Also the skin the king wears do not look like a cheeta skin but more like leopard. One can also wonder did all kings and their soldiers during the 25th dynasty run around in leopard skins? Or is it mostly added to depict them as more "exotic" looking?

The Black Pharaohs, Part 1

The Black Pharaohs, Part 2

The Black Pharaohs, Part 3

-

--------------------

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
In another thread I have mentioned Björn Landströms book Ships of the Pharaohs with many excellent pictures of ancient Egyptian ships and boats.

Landström did also write a couple of other books which are also a feast for the eye, among them The Quest for India and Columbus.

Here are a couple of pictures from The Quest for India:

-
Phoenician sailors repair their ship at Gibraltar

-
Roman ships wait in the port of Aden for the monsoon winds that will carry them across the Indian Ocean to the trading cities of India.

-
The monk Brendan and his crew spot a walrus during their voyage in the cold seas of the north

-
A hippo in West Africa as seen by the Portuguese captain Cadamosto in 1456

--------------------

BrandonP
Member # 3735

Harappan priest by J. F. Oliveras:

LINK

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
The YouTube channel History Dose have some fascinating art, painted by one of the two brothers (Joseph Feely) who run the channel.

Here is just two examples which has a connection with themes discussed here on ES

-
The Chinese trade with Africans

-
Roman Merchants in India

Joseph Feelys art

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com