EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Hetheru's Corner » African Queens: Njinga (2023) - TV Series

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: African Queens: Njinga (2023) - TV Series
Firewall
Member # 20331

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Firewall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Netflix’s ‘African Queens’ EP Says ‘Black Panther’ & ‘The Woman King’ Have Cleared Path For Jada Pinkett Smith-Narrated Docu-Drama

Exclusive: Blockbuster hits Black Panther and The Woman King have cleared the path for Netflix to succeed with Jada Pinkett Smith-narrated docu-drama African Queens, according to the show’s exec.

Premiering this week, African Queens will first tell the story of Queen Njinga of Angola and subsequently Cleopatra in its second season. It is produced by Welcome to Earth with Will Smith indie Nutopia and Pinkett Smith and Will Smith’s Westbrook Studios.

Speaking exclusively to Deadline ahead of a London screening tonight, EP Maxine Watson, who has worked on some of Britain’s biggest factual hits, said recent blockbusters have created a landscape in which shows like African Queens can flourish. A separate Njinga drama from Starz, which is being exec produced by 50 Cent, is also in the works.

“Now is a wise time to launch as The Woman King and Wakanda Forever have made it easier

See full article at Deadline »
https://www.imdb.com/news/ni63953394/?ref_=tt_nwr_1

Posts: 2560 | From: Somewhere | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Firewall
Member # 20331

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Firewall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
African Queens: Njinga | Official Clip | Netflix - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnR-3KEMKec

African Queens: Njinga | Official Trailer | Netflix - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z6TntNvGZI

Posts: 2560 | From: Somewhere | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They’re doing Cleopatra after Njinga? I wonder how they will represent Cleo?

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw the first episode of the Njinga season this morning. It's not all historical reenactment, for there are cutaways to various historians and other experts explaining the context to what the characters are doing. Some people might find them obtrusive to the main story, but I actually found these cutaways helpful by indicating what events in the reenacted segments were based on known facts as opposed to what could have been more fictionalized elements. Overall, not bad at all. I will keep watching as the remainder of the week rolls by.

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Just finished all four episodes of the season. I gotta say that, while I liked how they brought the history to life while using interviews with historians to provide the larger context, Njinga herself comes across as a complicated character with a nasty streak of ruthlessness even if you end up rooting for her against the Portuguese. I also thought the reenacted battles looked too much like disorganized skirmishes rather than the big pitched battles they would do back in the day.

Overall, though, I recommend giving it a look.

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

BrandonP
Member # 3735

The season with Cleopatra is coming out on Netflix on May 10th!

Check out the trailer here!

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com