EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Hetheru's Corner » Historical novels set in Africa

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Historical novels set in Africa
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archeopteryx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have already made a thread about historical novels set in Ancient Egypt. Here I will make one about novels set in other parts of Africa. Novels can provide a break from all the scholarly articles, fact books and reports that one reads both at work and in ones spare time.

So if you have any tips for good historical novels set in Africa, this is the right thread.

I can start with an excellent book called The Great Ponds written by the Nigerian author Elechi Amadi. It is about two villages in Nigeria at the turn of the last century, who end up at war because both claim ownership of some ponds or lakes rich in fish. The war begins with small skirmishes but soon escalates out of control. In the wake of war comes famine, disease and death. In their attempts to win the war, both sides invoke both spirits and gods. Soon the war is noticed by surrounding peoples who try to intervene and end the conflict.

The book is an excellent study in the psychology of war, its inherent dynamics and fate.

It is a dramatic and exciting book, who does not leave the reader unmoved.

-

Elechi Amadi

--------------------
Once an archaeologist, always an archaeologist

Posts: 2685 | From: Sweden | Registered: Mar 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com