Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » KOFTA

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: KOFTA
Barnacle Bill
Member # 12656

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barnacle Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KOFTA

4lbs lean beef or lamb
1 finely chopped/grated onion
teasp salt
teasp pepper
teasp cinnamon powder
teas cummin powder
half teasp chilli powder
1 egg
half cup finely chopped parsley
finely chopped spring onion
cup of breadcrumbs

Method
Mix whole lot up in a big bowl, form into small sausage shapes and shallow fry in olive oil till golden and well cooked in the middle. [Wink]

Posts: 586 | From: Styx | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trababe
Member # 11777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for trababe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for this one i will try them and i hope my daughter will love them as much as she did when we was in egypt
Posts: 477 | From: lancashire england | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Âutomatic For The People
Member # 12634

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Âutomatic For The People     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by necromancer:
KOFTA

4lbs lean beef or lamb
1 finely chopped/grated onion
teasp salt
teasp pepper
teasp cinnamon powder
teas cummin powder
half teasp chilli powder
1 egg
half cup finely chopped parsley
finely chopped spring onion
cup of breadcrumbs

Method
Mix whole lot up in a big bowl, form into small sausage shapes and shallow fry in olive oil till golden and well cooked in the middle. [Wink]

You know, I was told that the reason Kebab and Kofta in Egypt taste so juicy is that they squeeze the graded onion before using it! I don't know exactly how it's done but they explained to me that the onion dries out the meat if it's not squeezed first.
Posts: 465 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barnacle Bill
Member # 12656

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barnacle Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best way is to grate the onion and not chop it. That way it mixes into the kofta mixture much easier. Dont squeeze the juice out of it though!!!
The flavour of the onion will be absorbed up into the breadcrumbs and it will taste lovely.
Try to make fresh breadcrumbs and not the stale boxes from supermarket too.
If you are in egypt you can buy bags of finely powdered pulses in the supermarkets.
Hyper one and Carrefour sell them. They are a mixture of all sorts of beans in a fine powder.
This is an excellent way to increase the fibre and protein in the kofta. Just add a few tablespoons to the mixture. Dont add too much as it will then make the mixture hard to handle. Just a few tabspns!!

Posts: 586 | From: Styx | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
magnona777
Member # 12466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for magnona777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
geeze.. Egyptians just love to squeeze things.. squeeze tomatoes.. squeeze onions.. squeeeeeeeezzzzeeeeee
Posts: 431 | From: beantown | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trababe
Member # 11777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for trababe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i wanna say thanks for the recipe for the kofta i made it for dinner this evening and all three of my children absolutley loved it
Posts: 477 | From: lancashire england | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the onion squeeze and grate is good advice, thanks [Wink]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mac0623
Member # 10529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mac0623     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I LOVE THE STUFF
Posts: 1344 | From: uk/ | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trababe
Member # 11777

Rate Member
i followed the advice of grating the onion so my kids didnt pick at chunks and it was so good we ate the leftovers again today for lunch and 2 of my freinds have asked me for the recipe which i happily gave them and im sure they will enjoy it as much as we did
and when we go to egypt if all fails and they wont eat anything it will be kofta for breakfast lunch and dinner lol [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Sarah360
Member # 12925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarah360   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had this before.
It's soooo gooood!!
With beef though. I hate Lamb.

Posts: 34 | From: Columbus,Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com