Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Egyptian Rice

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Egyptian Rice
Barnacle Bill
Member # 12656

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barnacle Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egyptian Rice

Serves four

2 Medium onions
3 cups rice
tablespoon butter ghee
tablespoon salt
tablespoon tomato paste
teasp pepper

Very thinly slice the onions and fry in the ghee. Dont let them burn but let them caramelize and become sweet and very soft.
Add the tomato paste salt pepper and stir for a minute.
Take rice and wash thoroughly, and drain.
Take damp rice and add to the pan with the other ingredients and stir on a high heat for 3 mins.
Then add water till it cover rice and the level is 1cm above the rice. Bring to the boil and immediately lower temp till it simmers gently for 2 mins. You must put on the lid at this stage.
After 2 mins switch off the gas and leave lid on for 15 mins without lifting lid!!

You should now have perfectly cooked rice
ENJOY [Smile]

Posts: 586 | From: Styx | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that sounds great thanks
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what it was called. But I made a Spanish rice while there. Seems they make the same kind of thing but bake it. Then of course you get that yummy coating on top from the tomato sauce/paste? .

Anyone know what this is called?

Typical ingredients: onions and peppers cooked in oil.....brown rice and garlic...season.......add tomato sauce/paste (whatever you have) I used chicken broth for the liquid

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsC
Member # 10808

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MrsC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=009413
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=009411

[Big Grin]

Posts: 549 | From: charm el feikh? | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Mrs C.

I guess I must be the odd ball. My rice no matter what way I cook it turns out perfect 99% of the time. [Confused] Hamdulleh!!!!!!!

I love cooking it the Egyptian way. Browning in butter then adding the rest. Looks pretty, never sticks, and good too.

I got a killer Persian rice recipe. Anyone want it?

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsC
Member # 10808

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MrsC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
whats persian rice?
Posts: 549 | From: charm el feikh? | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsC
Member # 10808

Rate Member
ive just recently started using pudding rice in some chinese dishes... it works realy well.

is it the same as sushi rice?

Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
I don't know the name I just know how to make it. A Persian friend who visits and cooks for us sometimes (we share recipes and secrets) showed me how.

Basmati........clean well. Put in pan (usually about 2 cups) With lots of water and salt. Cook until half cooked. (Firm in middle, soft on outside) Drain. Take a dutch oven or tall sauce type pot. (don't know what its called.) Pour some oil in bottom. Slice a couple of potatoes (1/4 inch or so round) Lay in bottom of pan (tachini) In layers put rice........fresh chopped dill(lots of it) not a a complete layer but heavy......lima beans (cooked).....repeat until finished. I usually end with rice and dill on top.

Drizzle some oil over it. Take a wooden spoon handle. Poke about 3 holes in it. Cover with foil and seal the lid tight. Cook over medium heat about 30 minutes or so. Depends on amount of rice, size of pot, etc.

The authentic way to tell when it is done. Lick your finger and touch quickly to the middle outside of pan. When it ssssssss like sizzles it's done.

To serve. Scoop out rice into a large oval platter. Spoon tachini over the top. Serve.

This is delicious. I serve it with Baathm Juune. And everyone fights over the tachini. LOL

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

caterpillar
Member # 10438

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for caterpillar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we dont make egyptian rice that way, we make it with vermicelli?
Posts: 1017 | From: uk | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Just goes to show how many variations there are for Egyptian Rice.

For me Egyptian rice just means the way I was served basic everyday rice while there.

Most of the time a little was browned in sunflower oil, then the rest added and made the normal way. 2 cups water/ 1 cup rice. Salt, stir. Cover for 15 min.

Although I was served many kinds. This was the everyday stuff.

[Smile]

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

Barnacle Bill
Member # 12656

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barnacle Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mrs C
pudding rice is not the same.
Use arborio risotto rice for sushi if you cannot get the real thing. Its closer than pudding.
But if you go and get glutinous rice from a chinese market that is the real deal in sushi!! glutinous!!

Posts: 586 | From: Styx | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsC
Member # 10808

Rate Member
thanks for that. i will!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com