Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Lentil Shorba

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lentil Shorba
Barnacle Bill
Member # 12656

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barnacle Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lentil Shorba
Lentil soup egyptian style

1 1/2 cups orange lentils
1 large onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 small red bell pepper, chopped
1 carrot, grated
2 tablespoons tomato paste
butter
oil
salt & pepper
1 chicken bouillon cube
2 tablespoons cumin
1 dash turmeric
1 dash paprika
1 tablespoon heavy cream

Put 1 ½ cups of orange lentils in pot. Add approximately 4 cups of water, bring to a boil and skim out “white foam” as you see it. Cover and turn heat to low. Turn off when lentils are tender, if there is water still don’t worry about it, its better this way.
In a large stock pot, add a few pats of butter and oil.
Add chopped onion, garlic, red bell pepper and garlic, sauté until soft and a bit brown, not too much.
Add in shredded carrots and stir around for 5 minutes.
Add two tablespoons of tomato paste, stir until all coated. You should have like a mushy ball, don’t worry this is right.
Your lentils have cooled, add to blender, add in sautéed onion garlic mixture on top.
Add a bit of water, like 1 cup and puree.
Add the pureed soup back into same pot where you sautéed the onions.
Add salt, pepper to taste.
Add chicken bouillon cube.
Add a dash of turmeric, 2 tablespoons of cumin, and a dash of paprika.
Bring to a boil, then turn to real low and simmer 30-45 minutes.
If consistency is too thick, add water or chicken stock.
The last step is to stir in one tablespoon of heavy cream before serving.

Posts: 586 | From: Styx | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanted to say I made this recipe above and the husband raved over it, it's a winner, it's now part of my permanent recipe book, thanks Necro! [Wink]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yazid904
Member # 7708

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yazid904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing I do differently is:
a. Soak lentils overnight in cold water
b. Change at least 2-3 times to take out debris and the mucous thick gelly water
c. Add cayenne first towards end of cooking with onions, garlic, carrots to retain the freshness of the onions etc.
If you put onions, garlic etc in the beginning you boil them out!

Posts: 1290 | From: usa | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Skip the cream, serve with a shot of lemon juice!!
Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com