Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Koshari (Nanouk's Recipe)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Koshari (Nanouk's Recipe)
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Smile] Main Dish Recipe:

2 cups basmati rice washed
2 cups brown lentils washed
2 1/2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup vermicelli pasta
1 small can of chick peas, drained (optional)
1/2 cup cooked elbow macaroni (optional)

Fry the vermicelli in the butter, when golden brown add the rice and stir till all grains are coated.
Add 3 cups of water bring to a boil, cover and simmer on lowest possible setting.
Add 1 1/2 cups of water to the lentils and cover and cook (really it is a steaming method) on lowest setting until tender (but not until they burst) in the last 10 minutes of cooking add the chickpeas if any.
When the lentils are done drain any remaining liquid.

[Cool] The hot sauce:

1 large can of whole peeled or crushed tomatoes
2 Tablespoons hot chili paste (Moroccan harissa or Mexican chipotle in adobo sauce) (or more if you can take it)
1/4 cup of oil
8 cloves of garlic sliced (or more)
3 Tablespoons vinegar
1 Tablespoon of ground cumin
Salt pepper to taste

Fry the sliced garlic in oil until they start changing color.
Add the can of tomatoes and the chili paste, salt and pepper.
Bring to a gentle boil, turn the heat down to low.
Add the cumin and the vinegar, leave it simmering for 15 minutes.
Put it all in the blender to make a smooth mix.
At this point you can still adjust the ingredients to suit your own taste, in particular the garlic, chili and vinegar.

[Smile] No koshari without the garnish of crispy caramelized onions:

3 large onions sliced into rings.
Put some oil in a large pan add one tablespoon of butter for added taste.
Sautee the onions rings until they turn deep deep brown (just short of charred).
Make sure that the onion rings do not overlap each other so that they can crisp nicely.
If your pan is too small do it in batches.
No part of the onions should be even lightly brown.
Stir to keep them from burning.
This may take 20 minutes or more.
You must taste something that reminds you of candy rather than onions.

Drain on a paper towel and keep others from taking samples.
In my experience that is the one ingredient that runs out the first.
It should be somewhat crispy not soggy and limp.

[Big Grin] Serving:

To assemble you can just mix it all but because everything is tender, the lentils, rice and chickpeas may breakdown and look unsightly.
Instead make a layer of each of the ingredients (rice, lentils, chickpeas, macaroni) with a sloted spoon and spread on the serving dish in layers.
Making layers also allows you to have the koshari in the exact proportions that you like.
Better yet serve every person individually according to their preference.

Heap some caramelized onions on top (maybe a few chopped parsley or coriander leaves for eye appeal).

(Thank you Nanouk)

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unfinished thought.
Member # 16076

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for unfinished thought.   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Posts: 3773 | From: unfinished thought | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vader-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Need....koshari....NOW!!!
Posts: 6335 | From: Straight to my heart. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unfinished thought.
Member # 16076

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for unfinished thought.   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Posts: 3773 | From: unfinished thought | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vader-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got my koshari, woo.
Posts: 6335 | From: Straight to my heart. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amr-
Member # 15737

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amr-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shisha-Master:
Got my koshari, woo.

farting fever
Posts: 206 | From: Afghanistan | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egmond Codfried   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KOSHARY AND ME!

Koshary was a great revelation to me when I visited Egypt, a long time ago. The weirdness of serving noodles on top of rice. But what a nice texture and taste! In my native Surinam, in South America, we eat spicy Indonesian noodles called Bami, on small crusty breads. Strange looking too. Koshary looked like something you would eat, when you are alone, behind closed doors. But here it was for the whole world to see.

I however like to change the water in which I boil the lentils, to soften the taste. I see there are some different views, because I learned to mix rice and lentils first. But layering sound nice, reminds me of Iranian rice dishes.

But I have discovered that this rice/lentils mix, if you run out of noodles and sauce, can have a second live as Moroccan rice salad with lemon juice and cinnamon powder. Waste not, want not!

Posts: 5454 | From: Holland | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
I buy it then eat it...

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com