Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Spanish - Paella

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Spanish - Paella
Cats In The Craddle
Member # 12627

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cats In The Craddle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paella (pronounced IPA: [pa'eʎa]) is a rice dish, originally from Valencia (Spain) where it is eaten especially on Sundays and during the Falles. There are many variations of it with different ingredients.

The name paella is the word for "frying pan" in Valencian (from Latin patella). However, the dish has become so popular in Spain that the word paellera is now usually used for the pan and paella almost exclusively for the dish. In the Valencia area, nevertheless, the name paella is commonly used for both the pan and the dish.

Paella is usually garnished with vegetables and meat or seafood. The three main ingredients are rice, saffron, and olive oil.

It is normally made using shellfish but can also be made with chicken or rabbit. In many Spanish villages, especially in coastal areas, they use a giant paellera to cook a paella on festival days which is big enough to feed everybody. A paella is very flexible so if you don't have the exact ingredients or if you find some of them hard to get hold of, substitute them for something similar. Getting fresh shellfish can be a problem, but you can always use frozen fish and use fish stock instead of water to increase the flavour. There are literally hundreds of ways to cook a paella and every cook has their own favourite recipe.
Ingredients
small onion, finely chopped
green pepper, finely chopped
½
red pepper, boiled until soft and then cut into long thin strips
medium-sized tomatoes, skinned and finely chopped
carrots, finely chopped
100g
peas, cooked
200g
prawns (if using cooked prawns substitute fish stock for the water)
200g
small clams
200g
squid
mussels
350g
rice (traditionally short grain rice is used but I prefer to use long grain)
cloves of garlic, coarsely chopped
about 800ml
water
a pinch of saffron strands (if you can't get saffron, use yellow food colouring instead and add it once you have added the liquid)
a sprig of parsley, finely chopped
olive oil

Preparation

Mussels: Wash the mussels, removing the beards. Throw away any that don't shut on contact with water.
Fresh Squid: Rub off the outer dark skin. Pull out the insides (including the transparent back bone) and pinch the eye away from the tentacles. Save the tentacles. Cut the squid into rings.
Clams: Wash in water and then put in a bowl with some salt so that the grit comes out. Throw away any that are open.
Prawns: Whether you peel them or not is up to you. If you decide to peel them, save the shells and boil in water for about ten minutes. Save the liquid and add later instead of water.
Garlic: In a pestle and mortar, grind the garlic, saffron (if using), parsley and a pinch of salt.

Heat some olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the onion, green pepper and carrot and fry gently for about five minutes. Add the chopped tomato and squid (with the tentacles) and fry on a low heat for another ten minutes. Add the rice and stir well to make sure that it is thoroughly coated. Add water (or the water from boiling the prawn shells or fish stock if using frozen fish), clams and the garlic/saffron/parsley mixture and bring to the boil. Season with salt. Put a lid on it, turn the heat right down and cook very slowly for about ten minutes. Add the prawns and peas and give it a stir. Arrange the mussels and strips of red pepper artistically on top, put the lid back on and leave for another ten minutes - checking that it has enough water. If you think it is getting too dry, add more water, but shake the handle of the pan rather than stir so as not to upset the pattern. Once the rice is cooked and the mussels have opened, it is ready to eat.

-

Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I adore a good Paella, my mother makes a mean dish of it - I get cravings every now and then, the picture is killing me!! [Big Grin]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pic is lovely and I was doing ok till it got to squid [Frown] and reading the instructions relating to squid, now i feel ill [Frown]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you can always substitute things, my mother never put in squid, just cook it your taste [Wink]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meninarmer
Member # 12654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for meninarmer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmmmm...gotta have some of that.
Last time I had some was in Sevilla and I'm hungry for more.

Posts: 3595 | From: Moved To Mars. Waiting with shotgun | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It does look good.

I have a friend in Spain. She gave me her family recipe. It's much like this one, but with a few secret ingredients. (promised I wouldn't tell) [Smile] But OMG it is the best paella I've ever tasted.

This pic makes me want to make it soon.

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com