Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Greek - Spinach Pie

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Greek - Spinach Pie
Cats In The Craddle
Member # 12627

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cats In The Craddle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spanakopitta

Great vegatarian dish!

The other day I made Spanakopitta which literally means spinach pie. It's made with spinach, feta cheese and filo (feelo) pastry. I make it every now and then especially for my children who love to eat it. Yes, you heard right. They can't get enough of it. If you want your little ones to eat their greens then give this dish a try. It doesn't take too long to prepare and is relatively easy to make. It makes a great side dish for any meal. If you've never tried it before, next time you go to Greek town, ask for a slice. I make it in huge quantities so it can last at least 2-3 days in our house.

-

You'll Need:

2 10oz bags of fresh spinach
4 stalks of spring (green) onions
300g (11oz) feta cheese, crumbled. Buy a block of it and crumble by hand. If you are lactose intolerant then look for feta made from goat's milk.
2 eggs beaten
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
10 filo pastry sheets. Comes in a 454g rectangular box
150ml (2/3 cup) olive oil (very healthy)
Black pepper and salt to taste.

A warning before you start. Don't open the box of filo pastry until you're ready to use it. It comes wrapped in sealed plastic for a reason, it dries very fast when exposed to air. If you are not using it, cover with wet towel to keep it moist and work fast. You'll also need a large working area to lay the filo sheets out.

-

Preheat the oven to 190c (375F). Open the spinach bags and lay all the spinach out on the table. Go through it by hand and break off any thick stalks and discard.

-

Boil a big pot with about 1 cup (very little) water. Put the spinach leaves in for only a short time. Cover with a lid.

-

At this point the spinach will immediately start to wilt after about 1-2mins.

-

Remove the spinach. You can use a strainer if it helps, just like spaghetti. Spray cold water on the leaves to cool them off otherwise it will be hard to handle for the next step. Put all the spinach in a mixing bowl.

-

Add the dill and parsley.

-

Add the feta cheese, yum!

-

Crumbled.

Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cats In The Craddle
Member # 12627

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cats In The Craddle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Add the 2 beaten eggs, the spring onions and throw in as much salt and pepper as you like. Taste the cheese before you add salt. Some varieties of feta are extremely salty so additional salt in not required.

-

-

At this point you can put the mixture aside and focus on your dish. Brush the bottom of the dish with a thin coating of olive oil.

-

You can now unwrap the filo and lay it out flat. Take the topmost sheet and place it inside the dish. Brush the sheet with oil inside the dish. It's ok if the edge hangs over the edge since this will wrap over the top in the end. Top off with 3-4 more sheets at different angles, brushing each with olive oil.

Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cats In The Craddle
Member # 12627

-

-

You can now spoon in the mixture. Cover the spinach with 4-5 more sheets, brushing each with oil. Fold in the overhanging filo and brush the whole pie one last time with olive oil. Sprinkle the top with water to prevent the filo edges from curling.

-

You can now put it in the middle of the oven and cook for about half an hour or until golden and crisp.

-

-

Let the dish stand for 30min. to cool before serving. It will also be easier to cut then. Use a sharp knife and slice into small squares or diamond shapes.

-

Yum!

-

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is Egyptian too.

You can have variations of minced meat and vegetables.

I just can't get over meat. I love meat so much. [Cool]

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com