Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Lentil Recipe ~ "Poor Man's Caviar"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lentil Recipe ~ "Poor Man's Caviar"
Cats In The Craddle
Member # 12627

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cats In The Craddle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Creamy Lentil Soup with Garlic and Bacon

-

This lentil soup from France is flavored with garlic, onions and bacon. What makes it different is that the lentils are separated from the bacon and whizzed in a blender, then stirred back into the broth to make the soup wonderfully velvety. The bacon is then chopped and stirred back in with a little cream.

Makes 4 hearty dinner servings, 6-8 small entrée servings
INGREDIENTS:

* 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
* 2 garlic cloves, pressed
* 2 onions, minced
* 1-1/2 cups lentils (I like the small green French lentils, Lentilles du Puy)
* 8 oz. bacon (about 8 strips cut in half)
* 7-8 cups chicken stock
* 1 3-inch sprig of thyme
* 1 cup cream
* salt and white pepper to taste (watch the salt, since the bacon is probably salty enough)

PREPARATION:
1. Melt the butter over med-low in dutch oven. Add the onions and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes until soft but not at all browned.

2. Add the bacon and cook an additional 2 minutes stirring.

3. Stir in the lentils, 7 cups of chicken stock and the thyme sprig. Increase heat and bring to a boil.

4. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours until the lentils are soft.

5. Place a colander over a large bowl. Pour in the soup, separating the lentils from the broth. Remove the bacon strips from the lentils and set aside. Wipe out the dutch oven and pour the broth back into the pot.

6. Place the lentils in the bowl of a food processor and purée.

7. Skim the fat off of the broth, stir in the lentil purée.

8. Slice the bacon. Add the bacon back into the pot and stir in the cream. Simmer over med-low heat for about 10 minutes to heat through.

To serve:

Serve hot, garnish with parsley if desired.

Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bacon [Eek!] [Eek!]

What's a dutch oven?

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think a Dutch Oven is a kind of big pot??

I use chopped chillies in my lentil soup too, without the bacon though [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valerie
Member # 6806

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Valerie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This version not really suitable for a Muslim country

Try.....
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 carrots, chopped (1 cup)
1/2 cup chopped fresh or canned tomato
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup dried red lentils
4 cups water
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, or to taste

Heat oil in a 4 to 5 quart heavy saucepan over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then saute onion, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, carrots, tomato,cumin, and salt and saute, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add lentils, water, and broth and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until lentils are tender, about 20 minutes.

This goes down well with my Egyptian friends.

Posts: 290 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love my mother in laws lentil soup - it's so delicious, it's real creamy, is the recipe above that you gave Valerie the creamy type?
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com