Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Kitchen Dramas

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kitchen Dramas
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Care to share some of your kitchen bloopers and how you got over them?
Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if a soup or stew is too salty, then put in some potatoes, they soak up the salt and dont have to eat them, you can mix them into another dish, such as bubble and squeak, later.
Posts: 1056 | From: UK, Middle East & Europe | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yea that's a good one Dawn, I've had to do that when the lid to the salt shaker was loose and all of the salt spilled out into my beef stew (which the husband loves), what a nightmare!

I've put too much chicken broth into my rice before and upon realizing my mistake (for fear of stickyness) I add a drop or two of lemon juice, it keeps the rice from sticking EVERY time, so I do it like clockwork now.

Also, if you are cooking using milk and sometimes you might add tomatoes, the acid from the tomatoes might cause the milk to curdle, in this case, when adding the tomatoes, add a half a small spoon of baking soda to the mixture, milk stays as fine as can be! [Wink]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DawnBev:
if a soup or stew is too salty, then put in some potatoes, they soak up the salt and dont have to eat them, you can mix them into another dish, such as bubble and squeak, later.

What is bubble and sqeak?
Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mi feng     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My aunt sent me a "beef wellington" from Neiman Marcus one year for the Christmas holiday season.
It was packed in dry ice, frozen solid. I kept it in the freezer for week or so until the family holiday party at my new house. I read the instructions, which were wrapped around the wellington, and timed the dinner, preparing hors d'oeuvres and serving drinks.
After a couple of hours of cooking I checked the main entree to find it still frozen solid. Panicked, I rifled through the trash to find the wrapper. I stared at it in dread. On the very top, folded over it read, "Defrost the beef wellington for one to two days before cooking."
DUH!!!!!
The family hung in there, eating cheeses and salad for another hour or so, and I learned how to cook in earnest immediately following that gaffe.

Posts: 1161 | From: wo xiang xiao bian ji si le | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
quote:
Originally posted by DawnBev:

What is bubble and sqeak?
normally any potato and cabbage left over from Sundays dinner, mixed up and fried. [Big Grin] A great British dish [Big Grin]
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This isn't a kitchen drama as much as it was a "meal drama" [Smile]

I wanted to try Chicken and Dumplings for my husband, as he had never had this.

Cooked the chicken, added all the yummy extras, and then put the "dumplings" on top and covered the pot and waited for them to steam.

Well, the dumplings magically transformed into nice white ROCKS!

I guess I didn't use the right flour, don't know, but they were the just awful and truly hard as rocks!

Husband, being as brave as can be still ate them to my amazement (and I might add disgust) because I wanted to throw them away and he wouldn't let me [Frown]

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
This isn't a kitchen drama as much as it was a "meal drama" [Smile]

I wanted to try Chicken and Dumplings for my husband, as he had never had this.

Cooked the chicken, added all the yummy extras, and then put the "dumplings" on top and covered the pot and waited for them to steam.

Well, the dumplings magically transformed into nice white ROCKS!

I guess I didn't use the right flour, don't know, but they were the just awful and truly hard as rocks!

Husband, being as brave as can be still ate them to my amazement (and I might add disgust) because I wanted to throw them away and he wouldn't let me [Frown]

you might have over-kneaded the dough, I've done that before, next time mix ingredients until just blended and drop into the broth [Wink]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barnacle Bill
Member # 12656

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barnacle Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dumplings should be a dropping consistency, I never knead them???
If the texture is suitable for kneading then they will turn out very hard.

I have put my recipe on the flour thread. Works everytime and using self raising flour will be light and fluffy.
[Wink]

Posts: 586 | From: Styx | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

No I didn't knead the dough. I know it's the flour, I just need to find a good one and probably just add additional baking powder.
Laura
Member # 879

This makes me think now of baking powder biscuits, split, topped with fresh strawberries and some whip cream on top...OHHHHHHH and it's strawberry season!!
seabreeze
Member # 10289

you know a friend of mine made it for me one time using refrigerated biscuit dough (like you buy in the stores) and I didn't really like it, nothing like the homemade kind I guess, fluffy on the outside and nice and dry and tender on the inside, UMMMMMM good!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com