Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » For Expats: Your first Egyptian Family meal

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: For Expats: Your first Egyptian Family meal
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What was your experience like?

Were you overwhelmed at the amount and types of food?

Did you like everything to begin with, or did it take you time to develop the taste buds for certain things?

Were you almost force fed? lol

How about the "double dipping" that goes on?

The "double dipping thing was the hardest thing for me to overcome in family meals. I still have a problem sometimes when everyone is eating out of the same salad dish but I just try to grab a spoonful of everything now, before anyone else gets to it..lol

Yalla lets hear your stories [Smile]

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
damn! I thought this was a thread with a complete menu of what to cook to impress his family the first time [Frown]

My first Egyptian family meal was with a copt family in Cairo. I remember fried chicken, rice with 'bits' in and molokheya. There were other things but cant remember what. It was delicious! It too about 3 years for me to find out what the 'bits' in the rice were though [Big Grin]

I have been force fed, often still am by husband.

The double dipping I didnt experience till later, long after that first meal. It's never really bothered me [Big Grin]

As for taste buds, they start jumping up and down at the thought of Egyptian food!!! everything I have tasted I have loved, can't think of anything I didn't like, I even like molokheya!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol Ayisha..you can start that thread, have no idea what YOU could cook though..haha

Do you cook? [Razz] [Razz]

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
lol Ayisha..you can start that thread, have no idea what YOU could cook though..haha

Do you cook? [Razz] [Razz]

ahhh Laura i USED to cook, and bake. But alas no more, when one has been married to an insensitive, moody arsehole for a million years, who would not say what he DID want but would inform you he DID NOT want what you had cooked so it ended up in the bin on a good day, up the wall on a bad one, then one does not tend to cook much anymore [Big Grin]

My present hubby cooks wonderfully, that's why I married him and I did tell him that [Big Grin]

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Khadija_Diagne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you believe my husband wont eat my wonderful cooking!!. Three weeks in Alex and i was crying cause he would not eat my cooking. He told me when he comes to US he will bring his mother, cause he will never eat my cooking. Even reading good recipies wont help me, because he only eats his mother or sisters cooking!..the funny thing, is he told me he would not eat my cooking before we got married, and i did not beleive him, cause I can cook! LOL we order out for 3 weeks.
Posts: 478 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trababe
Member # 11777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for trababe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my first meal with my fiances family was two kinds of fish with rice, one was deep fried in garlic and the other was grilled almost to the point of charcoaled and i was dreading it cos i am not a big fish eater but when i walked in the appartment i was like ohhhhh that smells soooo declious. We all sat down together and the only bit i stuggled with was stripping it off the bones etc but my fiance helped me and it was the most beautiful thing i ever tasted and his mom kept strippin more off amd sayin eat till the point were i thought i would explode and i miss it so much but his mom has said it will be the first meal she makes when i go back mmmmmmmm [Big Grin]
Posts: 477 | From: lancashire england | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think one of the first meals I ever had with an Egyptian family was when we went to visit a friend's mother somewhere in the backstreets of Shobra. I had wanted to try home cooked Koshari so she made it specially for me. Was wonderful but it's one of the those meals though that fill you up very fast so was really stuggling to finish.
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Khadija_Diagne:
Can you believe my husband wont eat my wonderful cooking!!. Three weeks in Alex and i was crying cause he would not eat my cooking. He told me when he comes to US he will bring his mother, cause he will never eat my cooking. Even reading good recipies wont help me, because he only eats his mother or sisters cooking!..the funny thing, is he told me he would not eat my cooking before we got married, and i did not beleive him, cause I can cook! LOL we order out for 3 weeks.

Wow that's a keeper!
Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Khadija_Diagne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MK the Most Interlectual:
Wow that's a keeper!

Yea good think he married me for all the other things i can do well! [Big Grin]
Posts: 478 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
What was your experience like?

Were you overwhelmed at the amount and types of food?

Did you like everything to begin with, or did it take you time to develop the taste buds for certain things?

Were you almost force fed? lol

How about the "double dipping" that goes on?

The "double dipping thing was the hardest thing for me to overcome in family meals. I still have a problem sometimes when everyone is eating out of the same salad dish but I just try to grab a spoonful of everything now, before anyone else gets to it..lol

Yalla lets hear your stories [Smile]

my first meal was maashi

i hated it and still do but I had to force myself to eat it and not regurgitate...

overwhelmed by the amounts of food given and continue to be

still have not developed taste buds for anything...

I was and still AM force fed but I'm beginning to 'fight back'

yes the double dipping is extremely yuk, even if if is ME that is sick they want my germs I guess...and do we have to eat 5 kilos of bread with every meal??? [Confused]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aww Smuckers, what's that saying..what doesn't kill ya, only makes you stronger? [Wink] [Big Grin]
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't remember double dipping. [Frown] Guess I'll have to watch for that next time.

I remember people eating with their hands quite often, not everything, but definitely more than Americans do. I remember no beverage with dinner -- that seemed to come after. And I remember no napkins...tissues *after* the meal to clean up.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
magnona777
Member # 12466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for magnona777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

what kind of food do you cook???
Posts: 431 | From: beantown | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by magnona777:
quote:

I cooked him pancakes, french toast, oatmeail with brown sugar. I tired to make him spagetti, but he had a heart attack when he saw me use the DEADLY PURPLE ONION [Roll Eyes] I cooked rice, chicken breast, everything, He just dont like american food, he tells me. I just dont have the Egyptian spices that he likes.

NE way, I will come up with something, cause all he eats are my scrambled eggs [Big Grin]

daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beef. I'm telling ya. They eat beef! [Big Grin]
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first Egyptian meal I shared with my guest family upon arrival must have been Bamya and rice if I remember correctly - and it scared the hell out of me.

Although belonging to the upper middle class meat was only served ONCE a week - on Fridays.

But seriously, even after three years staying in Egypt I am not fond at all of Egyptian food.

German food rocks!!!! [Smile]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

I cooked him pancakes, french toast, oatmeail with brown sugar. I tired to make him spagetti, but he had a heart attack when he saw me use the DEADLY PURPLE ONION [Roll Eyes] I cooked rice, chicken breast, everything, He just dont like american food, he tells me. I just dont have the Egyptian spices that he likes.

NE way, I will come up with something, cause all he eats are my scrambled eggs [Big Grin]

my husband loved the pancakes and french toast, but hated the TERRIFIC homemade macaroni and cheese dish (still can't figure that one out). He loves dishes like
meatloaf ( [Eek!] ) and
chili with cornbread,
pasta salads,
anything Mexican-foodish
but he mostly likes the dessert dishes I make, tonight I'm making a mean Mississippi Mud Cake (mom sent marshmallows) that is sure to get him to take me shopping [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
my husband loved the pancakes and french toast, but hated the TERRIFIC homemade macaroni and cheese dish (still can't figure that one out). He loves dishes like
meatloaf ( [Eek!] ) and
chili with cornbread,
pasta salads,
anything Mexican-foodish
but he mostly likes the dessert dishes I make, tonight I'm making a mean Mississippi Mud Cake (mom sent marshmallows) that is sure to get him to take me shopping [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Thanks Smuckers! Maybe i need your french toast receipe (maybe mine were too soft) Oh, and way to go on the Halal marshmallows. Can I get them in the States? Or should I put my order to my Mother In Law, because we are really missing out marshmallows in the hot chocolate, and the rice krispy treats.
seabreeze
Member # 10289

I just have my mother throw them in the mail to me when she's sending something priority, she usually adds the large ones and a package of the minatures...
If you want to keep your french toast from being too soft, let the bread sit out overnight or at least a few hours to get kind of hard, it soaks up the liquid better and gets nice and crispy when you fry it, also use REAL butter (just a dab) and it should help, too.

Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by *Tiger$lily*:
But seriously, even after three years staying in Egypt I am not fond at all of Egyptian food.

German food rocks!!!! [Smile]

Which German foods do you like?
I don't really like German food at all, I find it too bland and boring – and too much meat, of course. But I don't even really know how to define "German food", if someone asks me to name some typical German dishes I'm a bit lost.
[Embarrassed]

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
magnona777
Member # 12466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for magnona777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

[Smile] .. yeah. Thank God my H loves pasta.. haha cause I told him I can cook italian food.. not egyptian.. inshallah I'll learn a few dishes. I had him try pancakes for the first time in a American restaraut in Cairo called Lucielle's. Hahaa. He actually like them! thank god.. cause thats what I cook on the weekends [Wink] [Big Grin]
Posts: 431 | From: beantown | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com