Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » What should I make to serve 50 ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What should I make to serve 50 ?
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This will be a one dish meal thingy...to send to mosque.

I know rice and meat is popular, but anyone have any suggestions for something else that I can do that will be suitable?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Laura

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how about a lasagna
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's all men micky..they want to EAT..lol
Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i do a meat lasagna that has alot in it and alot of cheese. i thought you wanted a 1 dish meal sorry
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
micky sorry if my reply came across as being rude. It's just that the men at the mosque here wouldn't think of lasagne as a meal. Don't know if that makes sense to you.

If I was having my family for dinner, I would surely do something like this.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
how about shepherds pie? or a stew of some kind with lots of neat and veges and of course potatoes
DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what about a large game pie (with a lot of pidgeon meat)
Posts: 1056 | From: UK, Middle East & Europe | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Possibly the stew might work, I will run this one by my husband. He will probably just tell me to stick with the rice and meat, but I was just trying to come up with something a little different, that would be enjoyed.

I have a small oven, so anything that needs to be baked would be very time consuming, also I want to be able to put each serving in individual containers, to make it easier for serving. That way they can all just grab a container and don't have to wait in line to be served.

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
a lot of work good luck [Smile]
hurghada man
Member # 11124

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurghada man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i guess rice and potatos with meat and tomato sauce . does not take a lot of time. and i guess men will love it.

xxx

Posts: 520 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caterpillar
Member # 10438

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for caterpillar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what about koshary? goes a long way and not too hard?
Posts: 1017 | From: uk | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hurghada man
Member # 11124

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurghada man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Koshary is good too , but men will think it is a cheap meal. maybe some chicken with it will be nice.

xxx

Posts: 520 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barnacle Bill
Member # 12656

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barnacle Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Morrocan Chicken Pilaf

50 chicken legs or thighs
25 cups rice
3 cups raisins or sultanas
grated rind and juice of 4 oranges
grated rind and juice of 3 limes or lemons
1/4 cup cinnamon
1/4 cup cumin
10 bay leaves

Put chicken pieces in a large or 2 large roasting tins and place in oven at 220 degrees till chicken is golden and cooked. Add one cup of water to each cooking tin during roasting.

When the chicken is cooked add all other ingredients except rice and stir through coating each piece of chicken. Then add washed and drained rice and stir through. Cover entire contents with warm water till the level is about one inch above the level of the rice. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and return to oven. The rice will cook and absorb all the water.
Make sure all rice is under the water during cooking.

Posts: 586 | From: Styx | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mi feng     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I eat one more plate of rice with chicken at the mosque...... Just kidding, but that is all people ever bring. The good thing about that is that people are expecting this kind of dish and if they have an aversion to it, they probably wouldn't be there to eat in the first place! They usually pair it with a slice of thick bread and some salad.
For something other than rice you could do couscous. And to make the chicken different you could cook it in yogurt.
This section is making me soooooo hungry!

Posts: 1161 | From: wo xiang xiao bian ji si le | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yorkshire rose
Member # 12072

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yorkshire rose   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes chicken always goes down well, , like legs breasts ,wings whatever,done in the oven with lovely rice and salad, easy and quick

--------------------
Alison Faragalla

Posts: 4149 | From: Egypt | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

I have a couple of more days to decide on this, but I think I will probably make almost exactly what necromancer suggested. This was my initial thought, and since it's for a large crowd, will be the simplest yet nice meal.

Thanks everybody for your ideas, you're great! [Smile]

yorkshire rose
Member # 12072

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yorkshire rose   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh and you could make nice crispy garlic bread in baskets, and a big potatoe salad, or coleslaw

--------------------
Alison Faragalla

Posts: 4149 | From: Egypt | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Speaking of couscous, how do you make yours QueenBee? I always end up with this gooey globby lump of stuff [Frown] Too much water, not enough?
magnona777
Member # 12466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for magnona777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make potatoe patties.. you can eat it with your hand with not much of a mess.. its filling.. and not that expensive.. I can post a receipe if you want it.. the next time i go to a sisters social at the masjid .. i'm gonna bring it [Smile]
Posts: 431 | From: beantown | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barnacle Bill
Member # 12656

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barnacle Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Irish Colcannon

Texture like a thick leeky onion and potato dish.

!0 leeks
2 cup butter ghee
6 apples
2 large onions
3 cups of grated cheddar cheese
worcester sauce or hot pepper sauce
1 large Kale, spring greens or dark green cabbage
10 kg potatoes
tablespoon nutmeg
tablespoon cardamom powder
tablespoon cummin powder
20 chorizo or smoked sausages
tablespoon black pepper
1 cup lime juice and zest

Cut leeks into 1cm rings including all leaves in the butter ghee, when they are soft add the peeled, cored and diced apples, spices and lime juice and stir till apple is softened. Add sliced potatoes and add enough water to cover and cook till potatoes are soft. Add sliced cabbage and sliced chorizo, put on lid and steam till all water is absorbed. Add black pepper, enough salt to taste and transfer to a baking tray. It should be quite soft but with no liquid at this stage.
Sprinkle with grated cheddar cheese and a few dashes of Worcester sauce, brown in grill till cheese is golden and melted. Serve warm and not hot.

Posts: 586 | From: Styx | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com