Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Flour

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Flour
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thinking about those dumplings and some other disasters I have had in baking, it makes me wonder about the flour I am using.

Can anyone recommend a brand name of flour to use, one you actually use and have good results with, especially in baking.

Thanks
Laura

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
McDougals [Big Grin]

What is it with flour in Egypt? here we have Plain Flour and Self raising Flour, not counting chapatti flour and other ones, is it the same in Egypt? I heard from someone who had a restaurant that making the Yorkshire Puddings was a nightmare due to the flour?

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barnacle Bill
Member # 12656

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barnacle Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mac dougals as Ayisha said or Homepride

Self raising for cakes, plain for pancakes, batters, biscuits, cookies, shortbread.

Strong white for breads and rolls with yeast.

If you want to make dumplings use
2 cups self raising flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teasp salt
1 egg
2 tablespoons oil
2/3 cup milk preferably buttermilk
1/3 cup chopped parsley ( alternatively you can substitute the parsley with grated cheese.

Mix all ingredients in a bowl and form a batter. Scoop up large spoonfuls and drop into gently simmering stew and place lid on top.
When they are cooked brown the top of the dumplings under the grill for a few minutes.

Yorkshire puddings need plain flour and a hot oven. [Wink]

The main flour sold in egypt is strongish white used for breads and rolls!!

Posts: 586 | From: Styx | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL @ McDougals

Maybe I just need to add additional baking powder? Most things turn out very heavy and don't seem to be thoroughly baked, even though I leave them in for more time than recipe calls for.

Maybe I just need to give up baking! [Big Grin]

Mc Dougals is a name brand of flour here in Egypt? I thought you were referring to that resturant like Mc Donalds! We really do have one here in Alex.

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you sure your baking powder is really what we in the states call baking powder?

I found out that what their baking powder is what we call baking soda. A Yemeni doctor that helped me at a store once told me this. Seems he had the same problem.

Anyway, it's worth checking out.

HTH

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
get an all purpose flour, that should do the trick. If you have access to Bisquick (in the states) then that is GREAT for dumplings but if you're in Alex, I know that is probably a long shot.
Either way, keep your flour in the fridge that way you don't get those nasty little weevils, also add a bay leaf to your flour, the weevils hate it and will stay away.

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com