Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Spicy drink with chickpeas?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Spicy drink with chickpeas?
Life is good
Member # 12116

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Life is good         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had one at a friends house.
What is it called and how is it made?
It was lush.

Posts: 316 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK............I'm really not meaning this bad. But a drink with chickpeas? The texture would throw me. Seems I have a thing with textures.
[Frown] What else was in it? Color? Taste like?

I remember I was given a lunch by the ladies in the family. They gave me Tum-Tum juice while they all goofed off and danced. I loved it. Don't know if it was the juice or the combination of the call they do?(what's that called?) Drums on back of tray. Belly dancing. Wonder if it was the whole experience I liked so much or if it was really the juice. [Smile]

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's called hummus al sham. I love it, great on cold winter nights. [Smile]

I have a recipe but haven't tried it out yet. But it seems to me that a bit of water should go in there as well, not just tomato juice!?

1 cup cooked or canned chickpeas
1 tsp lemon juice.
2 fresh minced garlic cloves.
1/2 tsp cumin.
1/2 tsp black pepper, 1/2 tsp salt.
1/4 tsp hot pepper, or spices of your choice.
1/2 cup of tomato juice.

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Add some liquer and a stalk of celery and you have an EGYPTIAN BLOODY MARY. [Wink]

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
get_over_it
Member # 11286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for get_over_it     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried this once - and I did drink the whole thing, but I really didn't like it - like drinking a glass of baked beans [Frown]
Posts: 463 | From: Other side of nowhere | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sheba76:
Add some liquer and a stalk of celery and you have an EGYPTIAN BLOODY MARY. [Wink]

Noo ... it's very different. You drink it hot, so it's more like a thin broth with chili, chickpeas and spices rather than a *drink*.

I'm really not sure about the tomato juice. Whenever I had it I never really saw or tasted tomato in there. But I guess there are just different ways of preparing it.

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Life is good
Member # 12116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Life is good         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Dalia!

This is exactly the drink.

Posts: 316 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com