Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Apple Pie HOMEMADE !

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Apple Pie HOMEMADE !
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apple Pie Recipe

8 or 9-inch Double Crust:

3/4 cup Shortening
5 tablespoons cold water
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 425°. Place shortening, water, flour and salt in food processor bowl. Process just until dough clumps together - about 5 seconds.
Divide the dough in half and shape each half into a 6-inch pancake. Center one pancake inside a 13 by 15 inch plastic bag. Sprinkle a few drops of water on the countertop to hold the plastic bag in place. Smooth out the bag and begin rolling the pastry from the center out in alternating directions to form an even circle. After every few strokes, lift the top surface of the bag from the dough and smooth it down again flip the bag over and lift the other surface and smooth it down. Continue this "roll, lift, flip" pattern until your circle of dough is about one inch wider than the rim of your pie pan.
Loosen both sides of the plastic bag from the dough and slide the pie pan upside-down into the bag and center it over the circle of dough. Turn the pan and bag over so the dough rests in the pan and slide the pan and dough from the bag. Gently press the pastry into the pan and trim the edges about one half inch beyond the rim.

Filling:

1/4 to 3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
7 cups (2 1/2 lbs) thinly sliced, pared tart apples
2 tablespoons butter

Mix sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt. Pare, core, and slice the apples with an apple peeler corer slicer. In a large bowl, toss the apple slices lightly with the sugar mixture then turn the filling into the bottom crust.
Cut the butter in small pieces and dot it over the filling.

Put the remaining dough pancake inside the bag and roll it out using the same "roll, lift, flip" routine. When the top crust is rolled, cut the bag on 3 sides and peel off the top sheet of plastic. Use the remaining sheet of plastic to turn the top crust over the filling, center it, then peel off the plastic. Trim the top crust to 1/2 inch beyond the edge of the pie pan. Fold the top edge under the bottom crust and flute. Cut steam vents in the top crust. Bake about one hour or until the apples are fork-tender and the crust is golden brown.

-

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you ever tried laying strips of cheddar cheese in the botoom of crust? Yummy.

I like it that way. But sometimes I love it plain with lots of warm vanilla ice cream.

Oh my recipe calls for brown sugar too. You ever try that. Good. [Smile]

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, I never baked apple pie myself but whenever I read about it I think instantly of the American Pie movies...... [Big Grin]

Great pic, I am getting hungry. Smuckers, please send me a piece over, will ya?

You really seem to feed your hubby well. [Smile]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sheba, apple pie with cheddar cheese is classical southern apple pie and WONDERFUL! It really adds such a nice contrast with the sugar and apple, it's amazing...
My mother used to sprinkle brown sugar on the top before cooking, gave it a nice sheen.

Tiger, you should give the apple pie a try, I know what great cooks German women are, and your husband will LOVE IT. Thankfully my husband loves to try the things I make and this apple pie is one of his favorites, if I go too long without making it he will buy apples and specifically ASK me to make it again, ((blushing)), who could say no that?? [Big Grin]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice to have another Southern girl in here. [Wink] [Big Grin]

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

yes, now that my husband learns more and more about the culture/language/traditions/foods, etc., he will now ask 'is it southern?'. LOL [Big Grin]
So cute [Wink]

Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
hehehe

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smucks, I had plum cake yesterday - and I bought it fresh from the bakery! [Wink]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Ummm plum cake, that sounds GREAT! You know I actually tasted once where someone made a tomato pie and believe it or not it wasn't disgusting!
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Tomato pie? I would think that it does not have a sweet taste, it's more like eating a pizza, right?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com