Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Termis

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Termis
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you like these?

I love them, but was told by someone not to eat them, because I could get typhoid.

Anyone else hear this type of comment?

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what are they??

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are those yellow beans that are sold from carts Ayisha. Usually you will see a column of white paper cones surrounding the cart, and a dish of lemons.

You peel off the outer skin and then eat them. They are delicious.

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ohhh buttons [Wink]
why would they give you typhoid?
I don't care for them personally, they are tasteless to me [Frown]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh i have eaten them. all those little seed things i had shoved in my mouth at some point [Big Grin]

I think the rumour about typhoid is something to do with them being washed in the Nile?

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something like that Ayisha. I was told that here in Alex they are soaked for a couple of days in the water from the sea...hmmmm

So you call them buttons, Smuckers..thats cute [Smile]

seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol well that's what my husband calls them, maybe he just does it for me [Wink]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
magnona777
Member # 12466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for magnona777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had them... I was surprised that they were good.. with lime and salt [Big Grin]
Posts: 431 | From: beantown | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
magnona777
Member # 12466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for magnona777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://i13.tinypic.com/40okry0.jpg..
I found a pic I took of the thermis [Razz] for those who dont know [Smile]

Posts: 431 | From: beantown | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
ohhh buttons [Wink]
why would they give you typhoid?
I don't care for them personally, they are tasteless to me [Frown]

Hey Smuck is there *anything* about your new life that you like? [Razz]
Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations Laura, you just won yourself a new life after surviving eating termis from the street! Because yes it can cause typhoid among other crap.

You can make that stuff at home. I think you should soak it in salty water for 5 years or something. I don't know the exact recipe but that's the only way I would eat it. Mom made it at home a couple of times, I'll ask her for the recipe.

But if you can't resist the cart ones, I suggest you wash it with running water and putting in the microwave for a couple of minutes, then letting it cool down before eating it. it won't taste the same though.

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Thanks MK [Big Grin]

I did try to make them at home, but you are right, they require soaking for eternity!! Too tiresome, but I still love them.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com