Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Greek Lemon Roasted Potatoes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Greek Lemon Roasted Potatoes
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

4 large (8 medium) russet baking potatoes, peeled and quartered

1/2 cup olive oil

1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (3 lemons)

1 tablespoon dried oregano, preferably Greek oregano, plus more for garnish

1 tablespoon salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1. Heat oven to 500°. Place potatoes in a metal roasting pan large enough to fit potatoes in a single layer. Add 1 cup water, olive oil, lemon juice, dried oregano, salt, and pepper. Toss potatoes until well coated.

2. Bake, uncovered, until fork-tender and brown on the edges, about 50 minutes. Turn potatoes halfway through for even browning; add water if all the liquid has been absorbed, before they have fully browned. If desired, garnish with oregano; serve.

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have made these before Smuckers and they are so good! I also do a chicken with the lemon, oregano and equally wonderful.
Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey! recipe!
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't really have a recipe per se. I usually just toss in stuff till it looks like the right amount.

I make a marinade of a couple squeezed lemons, maybe a half cup of oregano, 1/4 cup olive oil, salt and pepper, and then let the chicken marinade in this for a couple of hours in fridge.

Then I loosen the skin from the meat, and stuff some more of this mixture in between skin and meat and bake covered for about 45 minutes, and then uncovered for additional 15 - 20 minutes to brown it thoroughly. Oh, also I baste it while baking.

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

ohhhh my mouth is watering..... [Razz]
Miss Sharm
Member # 12405

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miss Sharm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is reminding me of when I used to live in Cyprus and spent many an hour sometimes days with my mother in law cooking, we couldn't speak to each other very well with the language barrier, somehow though cooking together made us very close [Smile]
Posts: 1244 | From: we come in peace | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Oh, I forgot something...
As much crushed/minced garlic as you like [Smile]

And if you want a double delight, before you pop the chicken into the oven, add some potatoes to the pan and coat them with the marinade mixture.

DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fresh rosemary also goes well with the potato recipe above.

(I'm always looking for ideas with rosemary, my garden has 3 massive rosemary bushes - I use sprigs of it in the bath, facial steamers and all kinds of things)

Posts: 1056 | From: UK, Middle East & Europe | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com