Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » hot sauce for falafels and other snacks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: hot sauce for falafels and other snacks
DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3 gloves of garlic (crushed)
1 teaspoon cumin
6 chillies (finely chopped)
2 chopped tomatoes
3 teaspoon coriander
juice of half lemon
half teaspoon sugar
60 ml water

Put all the ingredients into a pan and bring to the boil.
Allow to cool.

serve with falafels for that extra zingy bite!

Posts: 1056 | From: UK, Middle East & Europe | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mi feng     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that like the Israeli falafel hot sauce? I know they use one that is red and green... I can't recall the name just now.
Posts: 1161 | From: wo xiang xiao bian ji si le | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes is it, its called Shoog, and its a yemenite sauce. I got the recipe from some Yemenite Jews from Rosh Hayin, when I was on a kibbutz, many years ago.
(I keep a little note book of receipes and ideas and things that on my travels, hence the mixture of imperial and metric measurements and sometimes nonexistent oven temperatures, some of it is guess-work - my cooking is a bit like that, throw things together, experiment and see how it turns out)

Posts: 1056 | From: UK, Middle East & Europe | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by QueenBee:
Is that like the Israeli falafel hot sauce?

I never understood how the Israelis dare to claim that Falafel is an "Israeli" dish. Falafel is older than Israel itself!
Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and yummy too! [Razz]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com