Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Curd lovers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Curd lovers
spasm
Member # 12981

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for spasm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello , do you know where in Cairo I can find “curd “ , Kurd “ this milky substance with fruits that tastes a lot like yogurts but with a more rich and creamy taste ..

I tried all supermarkets starting Alfa and Metro ending with these very local groceries , the thing is that they ( supermarket owners) don’t know the meaning of Curd , maybe it has a another pronunciation in Egyptian !?

Posts: 92 | From: cairo | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barnacle Bill
Member # 12656

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barnacle Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Is this what you mean?

[Confused]

Posts: 586 | From: Styx | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spasm
Member # 12981

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for spasm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sure not ! [Smile] , these are still Yogurts even when they are in the form of liquid , what I mean is a type of dairy product it is present on every supermarket shelf in Europe but with different names , it is heavier and richer that the yougort , you know … it tastes more like the cheese cakes [Smile]

--------------------
painter

Posts: 92 | From: cairo | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barnacle Bill
Member # 12656

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barnacle Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greek yogort is thick and creamy, there are others called quark or creme fraiche not yogorts. Ultra low in fat.
Maybe soured cream?
Then you go to curd cheeses which you can use in cheese cakes but are full fat and rich. [Confused]
If you go to the deli bit in carrefour and ask for curd cheese unflavoured and ask for a taster. They have lots of varieties and some are hot!

Posts: 586 | From: Styx | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this what you mean?

I didn't like that stuff. But my guy sure does. LOL

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss Sharm
Member # 12405

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miss Sharm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could be what we call here fromage fraise - a little bit thicker than yoghurt.

We also do have lemon curd here but it surely can't be that as that it spread on bread or toast [Smile] and you wouldn't eat a jar full of it unless you had strange cravings.

I am intriqued now as to what spasm is on about, I will take a trip tomorrow to my local supermarket to investigate further what it could be.......watch this space [Smile]

Posts: 1244 | From: we come in peace | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it's what we call Cottage Cheese in the states.

I know it's great with fruit, and they do sell it with pineapple added.

Comes in small and large curd form.

-

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spasm
Member # 12981

Rate Member
Well , I think laura got it right , it sure looks a lot like the curd I know …..
Can I find this type here in the Market ?

--------------------
painter

seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I luv cottage cheese (and yes with pineapple it's a GREAT breakfast [Wink] ).
Im sure you could probably find it at least at carrefour in cairo, I've never seen it in public circulation so to speak [Wink]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spasm
Member # 12981

Rate Member
I tried Carrefour , no they don’t have it , they only have ties for LE 12,-- [Smile]

--------------------
painter

Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spasm, I love it too, and have looked in just about every store in Alex and have yet to find it.

Who knows, maybe they will start carrying it, as I see many new items added to grocery stores weekly.

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com