Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Coffee

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Coffee
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok there was a tea thread. I love coffee. I couldn't resist. [Smile]

What kind of coffee do you like? In Egypt? America? Preference of where you get it? If you make it yourself, what method, type, etc.?

My absolute favorite is a Bialetti moka pot.

I use half french roast, and half Kona beans. Grind together. YUM!

Then of course I love the skim milk frothed high. To me, this is better than any coffee anywhere. I also add flavors sometimes too. Like the Splenda Mocha. Delicious.

In Egypt: There was one, can't remember the name. Love it. Think it had cardamom in it. Basically, if I'm here I want my Italian capuccino from my little pot. There that particular Egyptian one. [Smile]

I'm easy to please.

Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm currently using Seattle's Best Blend at home. I really enjoy it. I like stronger coffee but not strong enough to be sludge. I don't care much for Starbuck's unless it's a cafe au lait. However, I generally drink my coffee black no sugar.

In Egypt I had really great cappucino (not instant...real cappucino) at a cute little restaurant in Alex. Otherwise I had Nescafe which really doesn't cut it IMO.

I'm not into flavored coffees or creamers. To me it pollutes the true coffee taste.

Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
audbod
Member # 12901

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for audbod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shebah, I agree the coffee with cardamon is great. The one I had was Turkish but I can't remember the brand. I've tried to get it in UK but no luck.
Posts: 209 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool

I love strong coffee. I like it as strong as you can get it but right before bitterness. [Smile]

Anyway, for years I used a regular drip coffee maker. Would put 1/2 cup or so of french or columbian in it to 10 cups water. For most that is pretty strong. I cannot drink coffee at restraunts or gas stations. OMG like dirty water.

But then an Italian friend told me about a moka pot. I got one. Best little 24.00 investment. Makes the best coffee. Absolutely delicious. I have a 6 cup one. But I'm lucky to get 2 cups out of it. *embarrassed* Yes I even like my espresso strong. lol

Anyway since trying this thing, I've realized just how bad a lot of coffee really is. [Frown] So I'm just curious what others think.

I mostly love plain coffee. But I do like mocha sometimes. If it's flavored, it's always mocha. I like the bitter chocolate flavor rather than the sweet as in white chocolate.

But now that I'm on a no carb diet. I can drink all the coffee I want. Cuz there's no sugar or fat or carbs. Well a few but what I drink is allowed. So I have desert all the time. Makes dieting easier. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlyingTrucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
 -
makes the best cappuchimps...

Posts: 4597 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a turkish coffee nut! I already gave you my secret blend Sheba [Smile]
Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, me too. I just haven't done it here. I don't know why? lol

I have to though cuz omg I miss the coffee.

I was so good at making it too. hehehe [Big Grin]

But I don't like turkish with Splenda. Don't know why. The sugar makes a definate difference in the whole cup. Each layer, texture, froth, taste, etc.

Right now I'm on diet. So I'm taking advantage of desert like coffee. lol

by burnt beans? like dark roast? like espresso? french? columbian? etc.

[Embarrassed] [Embarrassed]

I will definately try it soon though. After my initial 3 weeks no carbs. Then for 2 days a week I eat and drink whatever I want. [Big Grin]

But nothing could replace that little yellow and red bag from Egypt. [Frown] [Frown] [Frown]

You know.......my guys in Saudi right? Well he still hasn't found coffee to his liking. LOL

Thanks

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm Burnt Beans, can any Egyptian help out here? What is the equivalent in the states or UK?

All I know is that here they refer to the black ones as "burnt".

Sheba, do you add the splenda when you are boiling it? It should not be added till after you put the coffee in the cup.

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
ok I think I know what you mean. It's what we refer to as dark roast. I think.

But if I put it in after its in the cup.....wont that mess up my beautiful layers? [Frown]

LOL [Big Grin]

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

Laura
Member # 879

We are not connecting here, I think lol
I was talking about adding the spenda when you make a turkish coffee, and I think you are talking about something totally different [Big Grin]

Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
ok first line was talking about coffee beans

2nd was splenda

what i mean is that when you add it all and cook it then pour you got that beauty thing going on right? i dont want to mess up the beauty thing. LOL so would adding it after mess up my nice 3 layers? and that froth?

am i making sense? [Frown] lol

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted      Profile for SayWhatYouSee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Laura, my husband loves Egyptian or Turkish coffee (I don't). We even bought some of those little pots to make it on the stove top and Egyptian coffee. Please tell me how I should make it, authentically, as it doesn't taste as good here? [Frown]
Posts: 2953 | From: Slightly south of Azkaban. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
audbod
Member # 12901

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for audbod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never thought coffee could be so complicated!
Posts: 209 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

quote:
Originally posted by SayWhatYouSee:
Laura, my husband loves Egyptian or Turkish coffee (I don't). We even bought some of those little pots to make it on the stove top and Egyptian coffee. Please tell me how I should make it, authentically, as it doesn't taste as good here? [Frown]

SWYS, if you look at the pot, there should be a number on the bottom. What is it? It will help me in telling you measurements, and also, do you like it black, medium or sweet?
Laura
Member # 879

Sheba, turkish coffee doesn't have 3 layers, girl what are you talking about? LOL
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SayWhatYouSee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
quote:
Originally posted by SayWhatYouSee:

SWYS, if you look at the pot, there should be a number on the bottom. What is it? It will help me in telling you measurements, and also, do you like it black, medium or sweet?
Thanks, Laura, I'm not at home right now, but will look tomorrow night. We have three pots, the smallest and the next two sizes up. My husband likes the coffee black, strong and sweet. I can't stand sugar in drinks. Maybe I don't add enough sugar. [Confused] Can you add milk to this type of coffee? [Confused] [Frown]
Posts: 2953 | From: Slightly south of Azkaban. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had milk in my Turkish coffee in Egypt and it tasted awful. Turkish coffee is best black IMO.
Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Noooooooo milk...ew! lol
Really the secret is just to have a good coffee blend, and then boiling it correctly. You have to bring it to a boil, stir it a little, till the foam goes down, reboil a little, watching so it doesn't overboil, stir again, and boil another time.
For the smallest pot, which is number 2 I believe, if he likes it sweet, use 2 spoons of sugar and a heaping spoon of the coffee. (use a regular spoon, not measuring spoon)

Here is my "secret blend".

350 grams dark roasted beans
150 grams burnt beans
50 grams Cardamom (whole pods)

Buy the whole beans and ask for them to be ground together with the cardamom.

SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted      Profile for SayWhatYouSee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Laura, that is a great help. We keep coffee beans in the freezer, anyway. I suspected the coffee bought in Egypt was part of the problem. Cardamom, I just love. I've been adding too little sugar for the measure. Many thanks. [Smile]
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't able to make coffee in Egypt. That's how I started drinking tea. I'm so not a tea person otherwise unless it's green tea.

I have a cuisinart coffee maker that I LOVE. It grinds the beans and then brews them. I normally like the Cafe Vienna blend from Starbucks but right now I'm working on a 5 pound bag of Winter blend that my sister gave me for Christmas. I'm a Starbucks dark roast girl in the morning and a breakfast blend in the afternoon.

Here's where I get all weird:

coffee in morning has to be hot with milk no sugar.

iced coffee s/b milk with 1 splenda

CANNOT drink ice coffee in morning no matter if it's 100 degrees outside. won't wake up otherwise.

latte's and cappucinos need 1 splenda in them.

Every cappucino I had in Cairo was the fake kind. blech.

Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Afwan SWYS [Smile]
If he wants it sweeter, just up the sugar to 3 spoons. Most Egyptians like it sweet, same as their tea.

Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
quote:
Sheba, turkish coffee doesn't have 3 layers, girl what are you talking about? LOL
I don't know. [Confused] Ok what I made was Egyptian coffee then. LOL Whatever it is......it's the way I was taught in Egypt by Egyptians and used the little pot. lol

Here it is:

1 glass water 150ml???? guestimate
2 heaping spoons coffee (small spoon)
3 1/4 spoons sugar (same spoon)

Stirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. [Big Grin]

Put to heat. Cook low to med. Just don't want it to boil too fast. Then when it rises to top almost over. Remove pour instantly into glass. Voila. If you're good.........a couple of minutes after sitting/cooling, then you have 3 perfect layers. (providing your glass is clear )

Top: nice at least 1/4 inch froth
Middle: Dark ......and biggest layer
Bottom: Sludge. lol med color and oh about 1/2 -1 inch (depending on how good you are)

All this of course is depending on how much coffee, sugar, etc is in it.

But you do have to cook it right or you don't have nice coffee.

Now for those that don't do it right the first time OR that want to OR way you were taught.......then you can return to fire one or two more times to get good froth.

Or if you have several cups at a time sometimes you have too. I never do though. [Embarrassed]

Cuz after my coffee was scrutinized by all......I LEARNED! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Now.......I'm famous for it. [Wink]

So.....is that Turkish? [Confused]

DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
great thread - I love coffee, flavoured, plain, creamed, but no sugar

but trying to cut down - I find I nibble more when I have coffee, so trying to drink hot water with fresh lemon slices or herbal teas during the day instead. But I must have 2 coffees in the morning and when I'm studying.

My idea of heaven: chocolate coated coffee beans

Posts: 1056 | From: UK, Middle East & Europe | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

AH Shebah!

Now I understand what you are talking about.
Ok, here is the deal. I never order turkish at any restaurant because I hate the foam, and they never boil it enough for me.

That's how the family all likes it too, boiled several times till the foam has settled and you are left with just the coffee and the grounds settled to the bottom.

Am with you Dawn on the chocolate flavored beans, MMM! [Smile]

Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
[Big Grin]

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
quote:

SWYS, if you look at the pot, there should be a number on the bottom. What is it? It will help me in telling you measurements, and also, do you like it black, medium or sweet? [/QB][/QUOTE]

Laura, the numbers on the bottom of each pot are 2, 3 and 5, respectively! What does this mean, please?

FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlyingTrucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Coffee Blend
1. 1 lb. of non-flavored coffee (Mocha Java, Kenyan, Tanzanian)
medium or dark roast Turkish grind (very fine)
2. 4-5 tbsp of ground cardamom

Mix well (shaking the blend in a sealed plastic container mixes the cardamom into the coffee thoroughly)

Making the coffee
1. Water – 3 oz per serving cup
2. coffee blend – 1 tbsp per serving cup
3. 1 tsp sugar per serving cup
4. 2 tsp. ground cinnamon (optional)
5. saffron threads – 3 per serving cup (optional)
Put water in an ibrik (to be traditional) or a sauce pan (Teflon coated to aid in cleaning). Add sugar and coffee blend. Do not stir.

Bring to a rousing boil. Remove from heat before brew boils over. Let stand for 3-4 minutes.

Replace on reduces heat and slow boil for 10 min.

Add cinnamon and/or saffron and simmer for additional 5 minutes. Just prior to serving, bring back to rousing boil then remove from heat just before boiling over.

Serve immediately. Add milk or creamer if desired (milk should be heated).

BEDOUIN STYLE '' V R BEDOIUNS''
LOVELY JUBBELY

HOSPITALITY!!Bedouin coffee which is served in tiny cups and is quite bitter. Coffee is an important symbol of hospitality. Shake the cup to indicate that you do not want a refill.

Posts: 4597 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
So cool Chimps. Hubby teach you that? I love all the history and cultural things that go with this stuff. Makes that cup so much better.

I even wrote a long thing in my journal from Egypt. About how coffe in Egypt is an experience. I remembered when I read this post.

Anyone else have any more cool stuff about coffee? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Thanks guys.

You know......I think this thread was done before. But I don't remember. LOL [Confused] [Embarrassed] [Embarrassed]

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

yorkshire rose
Member # 12072

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yorkshire rose   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i just like good old nescafe, milk, one sugar,
i had one of these senseo machines, tried all the different pads, but cant beat, the nescafe,
i like a capuchino also
oh but my goodness
love the iced greek frappe
the best, yummy

--------------------
Alison Faragalla

Posts: 4149 | From: Egypt | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
magnona777
Member # 12466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for magnona777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LAVAZZA !!!! I drink this brand at home. (I did see a few Cafe in Alex that served it...) And I am weird with my coffee outside of my home.. It has to be ICED.. even if it is 10 degrees outside!! Since I refuse to go to Starbucks (hahaa.. the one in Alex STILL hasnt opened !).. I go to a local place called Pete's. They are the Best. My drink 95% of the time is a Large Iced Caramel Latte(which as 3 shots of espresso).. Flat (no foam)with 2% milk
When I stay in Alex.. At home we have Nescafe. Which is NOT the best.. but it stopped me from getting headaches and bitch fits [Big Grin] or Cilantro is pretty good

Posts: 431 | From: beantown | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
OMG I cannot gut Nescafe. LOL Sorry
But I did drink 2 big jars of it while in Egypt. LOL Desperation. I love Arabian coffee, but sometimes I didn't want the grit from it. My friends thought I was nuts cuz I went through so much coffee so fast. LOL

When in Egypt.....my friends called it American coffee. I was like noooooooooooooooo. LOL

Lavazza.....now I've heard that is good. Never tried it though. Think it might be good in my moka pot. [Smile] What would you compare it to....so that I might get a basic idea?

Right now, I am totally hooked on fresh ground. I buy beans and grind myself. Usually every other day. 1/2 Kona and 1/2 French is like the best to me right now. But my tastes change a lot. Most of the time I just prefer a very dark roast. French or Columbian.

So at home you make your Lavazza, Iced? Or what method? How do you make yours?

I've seen a lot of people think it's made totally wrong. But it's steeped right? Not just ice in coffee. I need to try this. LOL

Has anyone else tried a moka pot? If you haven't you really don't know what you're missing. The best coffe you've ever had in one of those little average, authentic Italian pots. [Smile]

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

little surfer girl
Member # 12820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for little surfer girl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Community Coffee with Chicoree. A New Orleans favorite! Good Strong Coffee! MMMMMMMM!
Posts: 178 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i use the italian expresso beans in my coffe maker. it grinds the beans then makes the coffee.i like my coffee black but once in a while i will use butter pecan international creamer for my ice coffee, yummmmmmmmmmmmmy [Razz]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
audbod
Member # 12901

Rate Member
I really fancy a turkish coffee with cardomon now. Only problem is i don't have any.
Undercover
Member # 12979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Undercover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Mormon told me that they don't drink coffee. I said, "A cup of coffee every day gives you wonderful benefits." He said, "Like what?" I said, "Well, it keeps you from being Mormon ..."
Posts: 3188 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Undercover:
A Mormon told me that they don't drink coffee. I said, "A cup of coffee every day gives you wonderful benefits." He said, "Like what?" I said, "Well, it keeps you from being Mormon ..."

I'm going to drink a gallon...
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mi feng     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go to the Middle Eastern store and buy Cafe Najjar, with or without cardamom! Its the best coffee ever!!!!!
Posts: 1161 | From: wo xiang xiao bian ji si le | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
where is a middle eastern store in the usa? near philly anyone know queen bee?
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shebah:

What kind of coffee do you like? In Egypt? America? Preference of where you get it? If you make it yourself, what method, type, etc.?

In Egypt I get my coffee at the coffee / spice store and I have them add spices before they grind it. My favourite is 7abbahan (cardamom), but I also like to add other spices, such as gozet et tib (nutmeg), zir el ward (rosebuds), qurnful (cloves), mistika (mastic gum).

In Germany I get good quality coffee beans and add some cardamom before putting them in the grinder. I use this kind of coffee maker:

-

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Mistika in coffee? That's interesting Dalia. How did you discover this?

I have friends who bring me a nice supply from Greece, on their trips to Alex. I will have to try this. Any recommendations as to quantity to use.

I wonder what the Carob pods would taste like if ground in with the coffee, hmmm???

Thinking up some new coffee variations now.

I do like a sprinkle of Cinnamon on top of a cappuchino, so the nutmeg might be nice also.

Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Mistika in coffee? That's interesting Dalia. How did you discover this?

The lady in the coffee store once suggested she put a combination of spices into my coffee, and since I'm a curious (and spice-loving) person I agreed, but asked her to tell me which spices they were. That's how I discovered the mistika.

quote:
Any recommendations as to quantity to use.
I'd start with a bit and then increase the quantity little by little. Guess it depends on your personal taste.

quote:
I do like a sprinkle of Cinnamon on top of a cappuchino, so the nutmeg might be nice also.
I love cinnamon on coffee too. It's one of my favourite spices anyway.

Have you tried this tea, Laura? It's delicious with hot milk and a dash of garam masala or nutmeg.
 -

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mi feng     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by micky azzam:
where is a middle eastern store in the usa? near philly anyone know queen bee?

Micky - I didn't see this until now... I am outside of Boston, so I have no idea. Just go to anyplace they sell Middle Eastern food and ask them where the markets are.
Go to Bitar's Pita Hut and Market, get a chicken shawarma and chat them up!
http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-2739048-bitar_s_pita_hut_market_philadelphia-i

Posts: 1161 | From: wo xiang xiao bian ji si le | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com