Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » MEXICAN FOOD

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MEXICAN FOOD
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

FLAN
Ingredients
* 3 cups milk
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 cup sugar divided
* 5 large eggs

Instructions:
Sprinkle ½ cup sugar in a heavy skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar melts and turns a light golden brown. Immediately pour into a 6-cup bundt pan; let mixture cool. Combine remaining ½ cup sugar, eggs, milk, and vanilla in container of an electric blender; process until sugar dissolves.

Pour into bundt pan, and place pan in a large dutch oven. Add water to dutch oven to depth of 2 inches. Bake at 350 for 45 to 50 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.

Carefully remove bundt pan from dutch oven; cool on a wire rack. Cover and chill 8 hours. Invert onto serving dish, letting melted sugar mixture drizzle over the top. Yield: 8 servings.

Almost all flan is good, but texture is important. It should be relatively solid and grainy when cut ... not creamy like pudding.

------------------

-
Beef Taquito

Ingredients for beef taquitos:

* 2 lbs ground beef
* 1 teaspoon Salt
* 2 tablespoons Chili powder
* 2 tablespoons Paprika
* 1 teaspoon Cumin
* 1 teaspoon Garlic powder or 2 cloves
* 1/2 diced Bell pepper
* 1/2 diced medium Onion
* 12 corn tortillas

Instructions:
In 2 quart sauce pan add ground beef, salt, chili powder, garlic, cumin, paprika. Enough water to cover meat. Bring to a boil. Simmer over medium low heat about an hour.

Then add 1/2 medium chopped onion, 1/2 medium chopped bell pepper continue cooking 20 or 30 more minutes.

For taquitos recipe: Heat oil in skillet. Cook corn tortillas, one at a time, in hot oil until soft, about 5 to 10 seconds; drain.

Strain liquid, then spoon 1 tablespoon of the beef meat in center of each tortilla Roll the tortilla around the beef filling into flute shape.

Use a toothpick to hold the tortilla in the flute shape. ("flauta" in Spanish)
Fry beef taquitos approximately 2-3 minutes or until tortilla holds its shape.

Remove the toothpicks and serve 2-3 taquitos on a plate.
Serving Salsa, sour cream and guacamole on the side.

Better beef taquitos are on the softer side, not crispy. You need turn them only once.

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a dump and taste cook. So forgive me if the measurements are a little off. All measurements are pure guestimate.

Beef Enchilada's

Brown about 2lbs hamburger meat with a chopped onion.

Add 2 Tblspoons minced garlic.

1 large can of chopped tomatoes (sometimes Ro-Tel if you want hotter)

1 small can tomato sauce

s/p

few shakes of Adobo, Italian seasoning, season-all salt.

1-2 pckg of Sazon Goya

I add about 8 shakes of Lousiana hot sauce and about 4 drops of Tobasco. Up to you how hot you want it.

Some water.

Cook down on med heat about 30 min or so. Make it saucy. You have to have some liquid though.

While that is cooking:

Cut onions, shred cheese (cheddar usually).

Take corn tortillas and dip in liquid from meat mixture. Lay in big baking pan/dish (9x13). Put a little; meat mixture, cheese, onions. Roll up. Repeat until all are done. I usually get at least 2 pans. Oh you have to have some liquid in bottom of pan so they don't stick and burn up. You dont want to drench, but have enough to do the job.

Take remaining meat mixture and put on top of all enchilads. Sprinkle with onions and cheese. Bake at about 350. For ???? Until done. lol

Remove. Let sit a minute. Cuz man they're hot.

Yummy.

Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh you can do that with Chicken too. It's really good. What's even better is if you serve it with Queso over the top. [Smile] All Mexican dishes are traditionally served with beans and rice. (for the ones who don't know) Queso and Salsa. [Smile]

Here is a different kind of Chicken Enchilada I make sometimes.

Chicken Enchilada:

Cook and debone about 4 chicken breasts or 1 whole chicken.

In skillet put deboned chicken with an onion, some broth, 1 tsp. cumin, 1 tsp. salt, pepper.

In a sauce pot heat slowly: 1 can Cream of Chicken soup, 1/2 larg tub Sour Cream, 1/4-1/2 cup Picante sauce, 2 cans of chopped green chilis.

Wrap all your enchiladas with just the chicken mixture (onions if you want). Make sure you pour a little of the broth in pans. Top with soup mixture. Optional onions. Then about 1lb grated Monterey Jack Cheese. Make a strip of Picante sauce over across enchiladas. Bake until bubbly. 300?

Let set about 5 minutes. Or you will burn you tongue.

This is really good, but fattening. I add optional things to it sometiems. Hot sauce, more chilis, jalapeno's, etc. Sometimes I double the sauce mixture, if it doesn't seem to be enough.

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com