Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Ma'ashi

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ma'ashi
Cinderella2
Member # 13259

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cinderella2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have a good recipe for Ma'ashi?
You know.. the little fingerlike leaf roll-ups?

Posts: 10 | From: NY | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iloveEgypt
Member # 13258

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for iloveEgypt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't help you w/the recipe, but maybe you'll have better luck if you called it "Wara 3enab" which literally means paper of the grapes...but translates into stuffed grape leaves [Smile]

Good luck!

Posts: 48 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MissJambi
Member # 13261

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissJambi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
slow fry some onions in ghee until they are carmellized. add fresh parsley (italian not that tasteless curly crap) cumin salt and pepper and 1 can of tomato paste. mix up well. i add ground chicken to it for good flavor and it makes it easier to roll.

boil a whole head of cabbage but dont let it get mushy. sit it in cold water to stop the cooking. holding the leaf with the wide end out and the stalk cut out, place about 1 tablespoon of that mix in the middle. flap the end towards your wrist over and tuck under mix. then bring in the sides and roll it up.

brape leaves are ten times easier to roll and have a nice flavor.

place wet papertowels or leaves on the bottom of a large pot and layer the rolls.
cover half way with water and press a plate down on top then cover with the pot lid. simmer low for an hour or so and there ya go! [Smile]

Posts: 229 | From: florida | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cinderella2
Member # 13259

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cinderella2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank You Miss Jambi and I Love Egypt!!

I will try it out!

Posts: 10 | From: NY | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Buck Naked
Member # 13323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buck Naked     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
woooooooow i love the mahshy especial when it is big. do you restaurants i can go to eat mahshy in cairo?
what about cous cous? is it in egypt?

Posts: 135 | From: I leave you with your misery, a friend who won't betray! | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com