Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » drum roll...Eat like an egyptian top 10 dishes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: drum roll...Eat like an egyptian top 10 dishes
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mahshi 3inab
Koshary
Ta3miya
Fuul
Molokiya w/Chicken
Samak al-Bolty b’Reda (grilled Tilapia w/flour)
Firakh Mashwi (rotisserie chicken)
Kebab wa Kofta

P.S i intentionally left out #9 and # 10

Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
why? What are they?

I just realized looking at this list that I like maybe 2 of them... [Frown]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yana
Member # 11508

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
any recipi for each of them ?
Posts: 311 | From: Armenia | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cresk
Member # 13445

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cresk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sobriquet:
Mahshi 3inab
Koshary
Ta3miya
Fuul
Molokiya w/Chicken
Samak al-Bolty b’Reda (grilled Tilapia w/flour)
Firakh Mashwi (rotisserie chicken)
Kebab wa Kofta

P.S i intentionally left out #9 and # 10

What about the following:
Tagen bamia (okra)
Tagen lesan asfour (risotto) bel moza
sineyet batates
Rice bel khalta
sineyet rokak with minced meat

oh am already hungry

Posts: 20 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So which two dishes do you like Smuckers?

Whenever I’m in Egypt I always make an effort to buy Melegy’s Rotisserie chicken with Aish baladi. They over season the chickens and as soon as they take them out the flame with the juices dripping they wrap the Aish baladi around the chicken. This results in the juices soaking the bread. Delicious! And I love those salads they season and I actually love drinking the juices from it [Big Grin]

Also Souk fish, it is always the same day catch and really truly tantalizing, I mean where else can you buy raw fish and only pay like 2 L.E(per KG) more for them to cook it.

I think CRESK submitted better # 9 and # 10 than I would have. Alexandria also has some delicious dishes the Mullet fish (bory) grilled Alexandrian style is heavenly delicious. The seafood soups of Alexandria are also beyond delicious.

We forgot the Quails and pigeons and yes I chew those bones, you must with the little meat there is [Big Grin]

I think the greatest test with regards to Egyptian food is Molokiya. If you love Molokiya then you will love Egyptian food (what I just wrote has the intention of lightheartedness and it is merely my opinion [Razz] )

Seriously though Molokiya is the test, Try it several times and make sure you try it cooked with fresh leaves at least once before you judging. I mean that is like one of the greatest dishes.

Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like balti. [Smile]
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use frozen mouloukhia leaves and it turns out great. I can't get fresh leaves here in the states.

I would say my favorite Egyptian foods are...mouloukhia, koshari, firakh meshwi, goolash (not the Hungarian style), falafel (taamiya), maashi 3ineb, and lahma with pisella and tomato sauce.

My least favorite would have to be macarona bi bechamel. Way too heavy.

Thanks to the koshari recipe posted here I make the most kick azz koshari around. My Egyptian husband says it's so good I could open a koshari shop. [Smile]

Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are the first Westerner I've heard that likes Mouloukhia Mother War. [Wink]

I love Koshari, ta3miya, the chicken of course
and MY homemade kofta. [Big Grin]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I LOVE mouloukhia! I've been making and eating it long before I met my Egyptian husband. We had it for dinner last night as a matter of fact. [Smile] Mouloukhia with chicken and rice.
Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
Originally posted by Mother War:
I LOVE mouloukhia! I've been making and eating it long before I met my Egyptian husband. We had it for dinner last night as a matter of fact. [Smile] Mouloukhia with chicken and rice.

Mother War knows the deal she even spelt it better than me ‘mouloukhia’. Yeah I am definitely in her corner because it’s not only delicious but nutritious and as she mentioned with white rice. Innnnnnnnnnnnnnnn saaaaaaaaaaaaa eww. +Can of coke =ladies and gentleman you have a delicious dish.
seabreeze
Member # 10289

((gagging a little))
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:

I love molokhyia and know a few other Westerners who do. [Cool]

I usually cook it myself because it's almost impossible to get a meat-free version in a restaurant. Also, I prefer to eat it with Basmati instead of Egyptian rice.

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

What is the plant that is Molokyia?
Is it spinach?? [Confused]

Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. The botanical name is "Corchorus olitorius" and it's not related to spinach at all.

http://baheyeldin.com/egypt/molokheya-an-egyptian-national-dish.html

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

I also prefer basmati rice. It has a lovely flavor and smell.

quote:
Originally posted by Dalia*:
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:

I love molokhyia and know a few other Westerners who do. [Cool]

I usually cook it myself because it's almost impossible to get a meat-free version in a restaurant. Also, I prefer to eat it with Basmati instead of Egyptian rice.

karen36
Member # 1076

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for karen36     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mother War--can you post your recipe using the frozen stuff? I can only get frozen and the package says "boil in water". Mine NEVER turns out right. Can't tell you how many packages I have wasted. I need exact measurements. Thanks.

Anyone else love Hawashi? Yummmmm!

Posts: 219 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Karen...

I can't really tell you *exact* measurements as I've never used an actual recipe. I'll try though.

1 whole chicken, cut in pieces with skin removed
5 cloves of garlic (or more) minced
1 small onion, diced
1 Tbspn oil (I use canola)
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp cumin powder and 1 tsp coriander powder (this is approximate since I never measure)
1 package frozen mouloukhia

Saute onion until translucent then add garlic.
Saute until garlic is browned but not burned. Add chicken and spices, stir until chicken is coated. Add about a cup of water. Let simmer until chicken is cooked, about 45 mins. Remove chicken. Add mouloukhia (I put it in the microwave for a couple minutes to defrost) and extra water (if needed). Let simmer until mouloukhia is completely melted but do not let boil rapidly (about 2-5 mins is sufficient). Boiling mouloukhia too long or rapidly will result in a brownish color and strange taste. Mouloukhia should be a fresh green color even when cooked. You can add additional salt and pepper to taste at the end. Serve mouloukhia and chicken with white rice. Yum!

If you like spicy food you can add a little crushed red pepper.

You can also eat mouloukhia with pita bread, that is also yummy.

karen36
Member # 1076

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for karen36     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you sooo much!

I will let you know how it turns out! [Smile]

Posts: 219 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com