Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » crispy onions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: crispy onions
sheila
Member # 514

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for sheila     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
does anyone know how you get your onions as crunchy as they do on top of kushari in egypt? mine just dont work out! and does anyone have kushari recipe?
Posts: 13 | From: london england | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
henita
Member # 11693

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for henita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My onions for koshari always get burned when i try to make them.I guess using a deep-fryer would help. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 1339 | From: Om Leito | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarka
Member # 13644

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I fry mine in about 1 inch of oil, i dont put too many in at once or the oil gets too watery, but just a handful at a time and take them out just before they burn and leave them on some paper while you do the rest.

you could also coat them in flour first?

I dont use a recipe, I just boil some small pasta, rice and brown or green lentils and the sauce i make with tomato paste or tins of tomatos blended, lots of garlic and some onion lightly fried up first, add the tomato, leave to simmer, add some vinegar, some salt and leave to simmer while you do the rest.

oh i forgot to add chilli if you want a spicy sauce (i just add some chilli sauce)
I may do koshari today, i love it. You have made me hungry now and its only 7.30am [Smile]

here i found a recipe for you

http://www.recipezaar.com/232836

Posts: 83 | From: uk | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I slice the onions very thin and stir them frequently so they don't burn. Mine come out crunchy every time.

I'm eating leftover koshari as we speak. [Smile]

Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MW is right, slice them thinly and cook them slowly (constantly stir them). It will take some time but the end result is worth it. [Smile]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com