Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Al-tien alshoki and Altien albarshomy (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Al-tien alshoki and Altien albarshomy
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for antihypocrisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I eat them these days. I wanna know their name in English.

this one with spines [Frown] watch out
names in arabic Altien alshoki ( the spiny Tien)
 -

-

this one is without spines. Altien albarshomy( I dont know why it is called barshomy [Confused] )

-

Posts: 2728 | From: جمهورية مصر العربية | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here you are Mr. Amr:

Altien alshoki = Prickly fig
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opuntia_ficus-indica

Altien albarshomy = Fig
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fig

Figs I love, at their best they can taste like living honey, but sadly they don't seem as flavoursome these days. The prickly figs I got put off after buying some and trying to peel them myself and suffering for days after. What's the trick to peeling them safely, other than having the guys selling them on the street doing it for you?

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for antihypocrisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, ya newcomer.
The Guy is tolerant to spines may be [Big Grin]
But I think I can do it with a glove on my hand.

well , I also love this Kiwi. What is its english name?

-
 -

Posts: 2728 | From: جمهورية مصر العربية | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kiwi = Kiwi [Big Grin]
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
there is also a fruit with an egyptian arabic name "bar2o2"
I cant find a pic of it online:-(

and I don know the english name

i can describe. it's rounded blackish red color with a seed like that of the apricot. it's quite larger than the apricot.

PS It's not the raspberry

I know al-toot= rasberry [Big Grin]

antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
i find this pic

-

sorry it's a cherry red color [Wink]

the size of that Bar2o2 is small in egypt [Eek!]

antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
this is another pic but there r some worms in the fruit may be

-

newcomer
Member # 1056

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Amr Al-wahabbi:
i find this pic

-

sorry it's a cherry red color [Wink]

the size of that Bar2o2 is small in egypt [Eek!]

This one is a plumb (with a silent "b").
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
Kiwi = Kiwi [Big Grin]

good chance [Big Grin]
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
at the end

-

this is Kommetrah.this one I know it's pear.

but I've never seen the red pear before

-

[Eek!]

antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
also this yellow water melon i've never seen .
 -

i only know that red and white [Big Grin] water melon
Arabic: al-battee'7 (Albatteekh)

-

antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for antihypocrisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Thank u

Wanna some plumbs? [Cool]

newcomer
Member # 1056

quote:
this is another pic but there r some worms in the fruit may be

-

These look like rather manky pomegranates = roman, here is a nicer one  -
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
It makes sense to me. I like pomegranate( romman) also.

So u know those fruits mentioned in the book
-Chapter sura Al-tien( fug) fugs and Olive r mentioned.
-chapter surat al-insan ( the human). Romman is mentioned there.
-chapter Mariam ( Mary) the palm date is mentioned there (rottab ganiya= ripened palm date)

all these fruits r nutritious n wiz a lot medicinal uses.

One can think of mixing all these fruits mentioned in the Book with honey which is mentioned in the book with some Ginger which is also mentioned in the Book. and make a wonderful cocktail that enhances the body natural defense system to diseases.

but can't be done for a diabetic patient. [Frown]
or can be with some caution

sammy
Administrator
Member # 2

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Thank u

It's actually spelled "plum" with no b at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plum

:-)

Posts: 114 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

quote:
Originally posted by sammy:
quote:
quote:

Thank u

It's actually spelled "plum" with no b at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plum

:-)

Glad to see someone is awake [Wink]
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
got a really stupid question here that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic, but thought that I would ask it anyways.
sometime I see numbers that are typed along with arabic names or words...example...Bar2o2.
usually I see the number 3 or a 7 thrown in.
please please explain why the number, or what does it mean..is it shorthand?

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Sorry, jean_bean, I tried to answer this for you earlier, but I had problems between the Arabic and English directions.

Basically, the numbers are used in transliterated words in place of Arabic letters that don’t have an equivalent in English, so the 2 is used instead of the Hamza (ء ), the 3 is used instead of the ayn (ع ), and 7 is used instead of the Ha (ح ).

antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
Thanks newcomer, I was about to reply but you was faster than me.

I would love to add something,

the letter Qaf ق is prounounced hamza ء in the egyptian language.

برقوق
bar2o2

newcomer
Member # 1056

Sorry about that, and thanks, I get muddled up between the fus-Ha (or rather fos7a...if that's correct?) and the Egyptian Arabic transliteration system sometimes. I'm more used to a more literal transliteration of each letter, rather than the Egyptian/internet system which is more phonetic [Smile]
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you guys for telling me this stuff.
I kinda figured that it was like an arabic shorthand.
I am a nosey old broad, and just had to ask.

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
quote:
Sorry about that, and thanks, I get muddled up between the fus-Ha (or rather fos7a...if that's correct?) and the Egyptian Arabic transliteration system sometimes. I'm more used to a more literal transliteration of each letter, rather than the Egyptian/internet system which is more phonetic [Smile]

Never mind, I was ok cuz u replied faster. U saved me some efforts.

Fus7a is arabic name of the classical arabic. this one in the news paper, formal letters, Books.

The egyptian arabic is only used in conversation. It resembles the fos7a but with some small changes.

One of the common things Egyptian language is to prononce the letter Qafق in Hamza ( It's similar to the french languge they prononce R not like What an english man prounounce. U can listen to the word "Paris" in french tone and in english tone"

This is similar . In Egyptian tone and in Tunisan tone,
egyptian pronounces Qaf ق as hamzaء
Tunisian prounounce qaf like Qaf.
see this Word بقدونس parsley in English
in Egyptian pronounced Ba2donis
Tunisian Baqdonis
classical Baqdonis

Baqdonis is "Parsley" in English It's a green herb used food.

It comes with practice . Have you any problem in some egyptian words? If so, u can ask here.

newcomer
Member # 1056

I understand what you mean, it's just that I learned classical Arabic and a classical Arabic transliteration system first, and now that I'm trying to learn Egyptian Arabic on top of that, I sometimes mix the two of them up. If I see the Egyptian Arabic written, I can usually make sense of it from my knowledge of classical Arabic, but it is much more difficult for me to write in the Egyptian system as I'm not so familiar with it and I tend to lapse back into the classical.
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
كل شيء يصبح جيد مع الممارسة و التدريب
newcomer
Member # 1056

إن شاء الله [Smile]
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
قشطة
{translitation into Engish :Egyptian:Eshta/2shta , classical: Qishta} [Wink]

translation of Eshta into English, can you help me in it?
Is it Milk Skim/cream?

In this context I dont mean the literal meaning I mean "very nice"

It's an expression

newcomer
Member # 1056

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Amr El-Wahabbi:
قشطة
{translitation into Engish :Egyptian:Eshta/2shta , classical: Qishta} [Wink]

translation of Eshta into English, can you help me in it?
Is it Milk Skim/cream?

Hmmm, It can either mean cream or custard apple/sweetsop:

-

quote:
In this context I dont mean the literal meaning I means "very nice"

It's an expression

But I guessed what you meant really [Smile]
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
I usually see this custard apple in fruit markets but I am not used to it at all. Is it Yummy?
May be I will try that.

There is also a fruit in Egypt similar to tomatoes but orange coloured.
I usually see it but I tried once before n I didn't like it. I think Its arabic name is " Kaki"

-

antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
this red palm date/ Bala7 A7mar as a yummy n nutritious fruit.

-

-

I love the black one better but the red is ok also

newcomer
Member # 1056

quote:
I usually see this custard apple in fruit markets but I am not used to it at all. Is it Yummy?
May be I will try that.

There is also a fruit in Egypt similar to tomatoes but orange coloured.
I usually see it but I tried once before n I didn't like it. I think Its arabic name is " Kaki"

-

Really, they have custard apples here in Egypt? I haven't seen them here yet...I'll have to look out for them...they are wonderfully creamy and more-ish [Big Grin]

I also love the "orange tomatoes"...but I can't remember the proper name for them and don't know if there is an English equivalent...can anybody else help?

I love those red dates in a sandwich with white creamy cheese, otherwise I find them too dry...can't wait for Ramadan and all those dates and milk, or dates and rayeb [Smile]

antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
sorry, I'm not sure if It's a custard apple which I see.
I saw something like this pic yesterday in the fruit market I faced while walking. I usually see this thing.
 -

Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
can't wait for Ramadan and all those dates and milk, or dates and rayeb [Smile]

I thought the combination of dates and rayeb was my personal invention.  -

I also like them with yoghurt, soaked overnight, and a few spoons of tahina and honey added.

-

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
u both ( NC and D*) sound like fantastically clever. [Smile]
newcomer
Member # 1056

quote:
sorry, I'm not sure if It's a custard apple which I see.
I saw something like this pic yesterday in the fruit market I faced while walking. I usually see this thing.
 -

That looks like the custard apple, tell me if you try one and let me know where you found it and how much it cost [Wink] ...it's years since I've had one.
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
how to eat that? with the peels like the normal apple??
newcomer
Member # 1056

The skin is hard, so you have to split it open and then scoop it out with a spoon, or eat it the sunnah way...but mind the pips [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Dalia*:
[QUOTE]
I also like them with yoghurt, soaked overnight, and a few spoons of tahina and honey added.

That sounds worth trying too. See how interested I can get when the recipes get simple [Wink]
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
I remember wayyyyy back when I first came to Cairo and saw something called Dome, listed under the juice selection on a menu. Of course, I asked what is was in English, and hubby couldn't tell me. Then asked the waiter, and even the chef came over trying to help.
Finally left to go over his sisters house, and she had just bought some (she is crazy about dome) and she brings out this round hunk of wood !
Thought...oh...they are just playing an egyptian joke on me...aint no way anyone can eat this stuff.
but it did make for some tasty juices !

I still think it takes the award for the weirdest fruit around !

Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never actually seen doum as a fruit, lol, just the juice or the powdered stuff or the teabags.

-

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

You can buy it in the spice shops in a broken up dried form.

I tried making some juice with it and also chewing it...as I was told it was good for low blood pressure...but it was so insipid I ended up throwing it out in the end. Maybe I wasn't preparing it properly.

Dalia*
Member # 10593

I've seen the broken stuff in the spice shops, but still haven't seen a fresh fruit.
I'm not a big fan of it either, I like almost all the drinks, like karkadeh, licorice, carob, sugar cane etc. ... but the doum has a slightly weird taste imo.  -

Dalia*
Member # 10593

quote:
u both ( NC and D*) sound like fantastically clever. [Smile]

-
 -
 -

Rahiq
Member # 13906

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rahiq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr Amr the little orange tomatoes are they this?

Physalis

-

they call them harankash here in Egypt

I dreid off some seeds for a week then planted them in a pot of sand and they are now 3 feet high plants with fruits on them!! [Big Grin]

Posts: 286 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahiq
Member # 13906

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rahiq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The prickly fig is also known as the prickly pear and here is lots of interesting stuff about it to read Mr Amr

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opuntia

--------------------
Posts: 286 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
hey pseudovellum, I also love that Harankash. It remind me with some old days in my life in my home town. But i dont usually c that in cairo markets.

but it's something different to Kaki.

newcomer
Member # 1056

Found it, its called persimmon in English; full name: Kaki Persimmon or Kaki (Diospyros kaki) [Big Grin] :
 -

Rahiq
Member # 13906

Rate Member
Sharon fruit

is nicer than the persimmon with no seeds and sweeter.

Grown in the Sharon Valley in Israel

http://www.wnbc.com/producepete/10672029/detail.html

--------------------
newcomer
Member # 1056

They'd have to change its name before they could sell it in Egypt!
Rahiq
Member # 13906

Rate Member
[Big Grin]

that's definite Newcomer

--------------------
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
[Big Grin]
Dalia*
Member # 10593

If they can sell dates called "Nasrallah" and "Bush", I'm sure they would find a way to sell a fruit called Sharon.
[Big Grin]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com