Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » what are these spices called in arabic

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: what are these spices called in arabic
VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VanillaBullshit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-nutmeg
-taragon

Posts: 2404 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nutmeg = Gozet Et Tib

Taragon = Taghun

[Big Grin]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VanillaBullshit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yay smucky!

--------------------

Posts: 2404 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you must have the same cookbook as I do, Smucks !
it saved my life when I moved here...lol

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
nutmeg = Gozet Et Tib

Taragon = Taghun

[Big Grin]

There's no such thing as "Taghun"! People were staring at me like I was the Mad Hatter!

*kicks smucky in the shins*

seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL ROFL [Big Grin]
Well I've never personally asked for it, but it's on my list of spices. Perhaps it's an unsual spice here or something? I hope a local can step up and help.

((rubs shins))

(I take it you got your nutmeg?)
[Razz]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by VanillaBullshit:
quote:
nutmeg = Gozet Et Tib

Taragon = Taghun

[Big Grin]

There's no such thing as "Taghun"! People were staring at me like I was the Mad Hatter!

It's the one herb I always have to get people to bring for me from outside as I can't find it here...best from Canada or France as they sell it in bigger quantities than other places I have tried.
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

^^^ YOU SEE VB!
And you kicked me in the shins !!! [Frown]

VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

*hands smucky some shin-pads*

Yes, I scored some Nutmeg.

[Big Grin]

--------------------

LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw this page which listed a few spices in Egyptian. It reminded me of this thread. Even though the thread is older, perhaps someone could still find the information useful.

Some spices in Egyptian

1. Aniseed (yansun)
Seeds. Used mainly for beverages.

2. Bayleaf (wara'lawra)
Dried leaves. Used with meat dishes.

3. Caraway (karawya)
Dry seeds. Whole, roasted, or roasted and ground. Used mainly as beverage.

4. Cardamom (Habbahan)
Seeds, dry or lightly roasted. Used in soups, stews and coffee. See below for more details.

5. Chard (salq)
Fresh, used with stews.

6. Cinnamon (irfa)
Sticks and powder. Used with meats, stews, sweets and beverages.

7. Cloves (urunfil )
Dried flower, bud. Used in marinades, jams, and sweets.

8. Coriander (kuzbara)
Fresh leaves and dry seeds, whole or ground.

9. Corncockle or sometimes it is called "Black Cumin" (habbit al-baraka)
Seeds. Used mainly in pickles. It is not "Black Cumin". It is "Black Seasame Seed" or "Niger Seed".

10. Cumin (kammun)
Seeds, whole or ground. Sometimes roasted before grinding. Used with meats, stews, fish, and pickles.

11. Dill (shabat)
Fresh leaves. Used with stews and stuffings.

12. Ginger (ganzabil)
Dry and ground roots. Used mainly with cinnamon in sweets and beverages.

13. Mastic (mistika)
Grains. Used with eats, stews, fish, and soups.

14. Mixed spices (buharat)
Mainly nutmeg, cinnamon, and sweet pepper, ground and blended. Used mainly with stews. Always bought readymade.

15. Mint (na `na`)
Leaves, fresh or dried and crumbled in powder form. Widely used with vegetables, stews, yogurt, salads, and beverages.

16. Nutmeg (guzt il-tib)
Whole or ground nut. Used to flavor stews and sweets.

17. Thyme (za'tar)
Dried leaves. Used mainly in marinades.
1. any of a genus (THymus) of Eurasian mints with small pungent aromatic leaves; especially: a garden herb.
2. thyme leaves used as a seasoning.

18. Oregano (it is also za'tar)
Dried leaves. Used mainly in marinades.
Any of several aromatic mints (especially genus Origanum) used as seasonings;
1. a bushy perennial mint (Origanum vulgare) that is used as a seasoning and a source of aromatic oil -- called also origanum, wild marjoram.
2. any of several plants (general Lippia and Coleus) other than oregano of the vervain or mint families.

19. Parsley (ba`dunis)
Fresh. Used with pickles, in stuffing, and as decoration for fried meals.

20. Pepper (filfil)
Peppercorns and ground - white or black.

21 Pepper - hot cayenne or chili (shatta)
Ground or as pods.

22. Safflower (Usfur/Asfor/Kartm)
Dry leaves. Used in pickles or to color rice.

23. Sesame (simsim)
Seeds, lightly roasted. Used to top beverages or in sweets and bean cakes (ta`miya).

24. Sumac (summa`a)
Dried pods or pitted and ground. Used to flavor fried or grilled chicken, eggs, and dips.

25. Greens (Khurda)
Combination of fresh drill and parsley leaves, or fresh coriander and chard, used in stews.

26. Black Seeds (Habt Albrakh/Alhabah Alsawdaa).

27. Saffron (Zafaran).

28. Comstarch (Nsha).

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

Thanks LovedOne [Smile]

--------------------

Member # 14248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Turmeric=Curcum
Posts: 3416 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

I use a lot of Basil and Paprika here, it wasn't on the list...glad my husband knows what they are.
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can someone tell me the Arabic word for fenugreek?

My dictionary says "7elba" but it's not the most reliable one.

-

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiled
Member # 14410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia*:
Can someone tell me the Arabic word for fenugreek?

My dictionary says "7elba" but it's not the most reliable one.

-

It is helba.
Posts: 2418 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks. I thought I'd just give it a try since I needed some asap. Just got back from the store and got half a kilogram.  -
Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ill stil with lawrys seasong salt!!!!
its easier if i brought my own

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiled
Member # 14410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Thanks. I thought I'd just give it a try since I needed some asap. Just got back from the store and got half a kilogram.  -

Yeah I bought some last week too but unfortunately they had pebbles, etc and so I had to sift them and not only that they were a little on the bitter side. I make a helba tea with them, I simply boil them in water until the water turns to a goldish color and then simply pour to glass and add sugar. Delicious, of course I eat the seeds at the bottom too [Smile]

What do you do with yours?

Posts: 2418 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

quote:
Originally posted by Exiled:
What do you do with yours?

Put them in my hair, for example. [Big Grin]

I also like sprouting them, started doing that again recently, inspired by this thread:

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=000642

Never had them as tea, have to try that.

karen36
Member # 1076

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for karen36     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My MIL used to make me Fenugreek tea all the time. It is used to increase the milk supply of nursing moms.
Posts: 219 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
nutmeg = Gozet Et Tib

Taragon = Taghun

[Big Grin]

Vanilla I have searched for 2 years for tarragon and no luck. I got seeds from the UK and tried to grow Russian Tarragon and not a single one sprouted!! [Mad]

If you find it get me a jar and I will pay ya when I see ya!!
Love tarragon chicken!!! [Cool]

If you want the aniseed flavour next best thing is anise (yansoon)I'm afraid.

I mailed you on Pym [Wink]

Posts: 3416 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by harankash:
quote:
quote:
nutmeg = Gozet Et Tib

Taragon = Taghun

[Big Grin]

Vanilla I have searched for 2 years for tarragon and no luck. I got seeds from the UK and tried to grow Russian Tarragon and not a single one sprouted!! [Mad]

If you find it get me a jar and I will pay ya when I see ya!!
Love tarragon chicken!!! [Cool]

If you want the aniseed flavour next best thing is anise (yansoon)I'm afraid.

I mailed you on Pym [Wink]

http://www.mccormick.com/content.cfm?id=8233

order it from mccormik

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Does somebody know the Arabic word for mustard seeds?
Almaz.
Member # 14025

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Almaz.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Does somebody know the Arabic word for mustard seeds?

Khardal
Posts: 919 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Could you write it in Arabic, so I know the correct pronunciation?

Thanks.  -

Almaz.
Member # 14025

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Almaz.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Could you write it in Arabic, so I know the correct pronunciation?

Thanks.  -

A friend borrowed my Arabic keyboard these days. so I decided to be creative:

-

'Xaa
'Alif
Raa
Daal
'Alif
Laam

KHARDAL

Posts: 919 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

This nicely demonstrates the problem with transcriptions and why I always ask for the Arabic, lol.

"xaa" looks really weird to me, in my mind it sounds like "ksaa" which has nothing whatsoever to do with the sound of the original Arabic letter. That's the way the French spell it, English transciptions use "kha", Germans "cha".

But thanks for your effort, I know how to say it now.  -

Almaz.
Member # 14025

Rate Member
quote:
This nicely demonstrates the problem with transcriptions and why I always ask for the Arabic, lol.

"xaa" looks really weird to me, in my mind it sounds like "ksaa" which has nothing whatsoever to do with the sound of the original Arabic letter. That's the way the French spell it, English transciptions use "kha", Germans "cha".

But thanks for your effort, I know how to say it now.  -

I usually write it KHA ( from the back of the throat) hehe
You are welcome!

Dalia*
Member # 10593

quote:
Originally posted by Almaz.:
I usually write it KHA

Me too. But if you do that in Germany, people will pronounce it like "k". For example, I know lots of people who say "Kaled" instead of "Khaled", which makes me cringe. But then in German we have a very similar sound which is written "ch", like in "Dach", "Buch" etc.

I know this might sound weird, but it's actually one of my favourite Arabic letters, I just like the sound of it.

Almaz.
Member # 14025

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Almaz.:
I usually write it KHA

Me too. But if you do that in Germany, people will pronounce it like "k". For example, I know lots of people who say "Kaled" instead of "Khaled", which makes me cringe. But then in German we have a very similar sound which is written "ch", like in "Dach", "Buch" etc.

I know this might sound weird, but it's actually one of my favourite Arabic letters, I just like the sound of it.

Speaking a little bit of German and a little bit of Spanish myself, I understand what you mean.

In Spanish the pronounciation of KH for example is J! But it depends, as the "j" sound varies from one place to another, in Spanish

In France, particularly in Paris for example certain people pronounce the R like the KH or J or Ch hehe..

I meant gutteral sound [Wink]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com