Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Necessary Kitchen Items

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Necessary Kitchen Items
Alchemist
Member # 12318

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Alchemist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are the thing you need to have in your kitchen? Of course we all know plates, drinking glasses, and silverware.

But what else? Mixing bowls, etc? I am talking the bare necessities here.

Also what are the basic knives you use in a kitchen? Can you get away with just a paring knife, santoku, and perhaps a bread knife?

Also pots and pans, maybe like one good frying pan and one multi-purpose pot?

Please construct your bare basic kitchen for me. Thanks. [Smile]

Posts: 1879 | From: Going to Graceland | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i use jamie oliver's collection of frying pans and and all my pans can go on the stove top and then right in the oven( all purpose)
my knives are all henkeils(spelling?)you always need for basics, paring, bread, and a chef knife at least 6" to 8" and a set of mixing bowls small med, large, a peeler and i always use a micro plan for zest of lemons ect.and it is also great for ginger and garlic

i will let you know if i think of more, got to run now to my class [Smile]

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is mine:

microwave, 1 big and 1 small glass (microwave proof) bowl each (with lids that you can use to fry things in the microwave in), 1 sharp knife, 1 slotted spoon. You can do mixing in the glass bowls as well as use them for cooking etc.

That's all you need [Big Grin]

PS yes I did buy a foodprocessor but its still in its box 'having a holiday in the cupboard' as my old granny used to say

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cutting board
blender
food processor
recipe box/organizer
plenty of kitchen towels
sifter
colander
knife sharpener

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wish I could help ya...but I think that I have every damn gadget known to man !

Top of my list, and most important though has to be a great set of knives.

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oldbag:
This is mine:

microwave, 1 big and 1 small glass (microwave proof) bowl each (with lids that you can use to fry things in the microwave in), 1 sharp knife, 1 slotted spoon. You can do mixing in the glass bowls as well as use them for cooking etc.

PS yes I did buy a foodprocessor but its still in its box 'having a holiday in the cupboard' as my old granny used to say

Dear God and she's not kidding! [Big Grin]

balloon whisk
tongs
peeler
lemon squeezer
measuring spoons and cups
electric rice cooker ( does any type of rice perfectly)
salad bowls and spoons
trays
melon baller
garlic press or micro plane
plastic storage tubs
pizza wheel
wooden spoons
can opener
oil splatter cover
mortar and pestle

Posts: 3416 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jean_bean:
Wish I could help ya...but I think that I have every damn gadget known to man !

Top of my list, and most important though has to be a great set of knives.

this is my big thing too i need great knives and a sharpener [Smile]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me a good big knife is also essential. And a blender, I use it almost every day.
Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VanillaBullshit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an electric knife that comes in handy alot, I like to pretend it's a tiny chainsaw.

--------------------

Posts: 2404 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *********     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by VanillaBullshit:
I have an electric knife that comes in handy alot, I like to pretend it's a tiny chainsaw.

[Eek!] [Big Grin]

you didnt mention your pink frilly apron with the boobies and the thong on hanging on the back of your kitchen door Vanilla!

Posts: 3416 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VanillaBullshit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You said you wouldn't tell nobody!!

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 2404 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vader-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kitchen gun.
Posts: 6335 | From: Straight to my heart. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

sorry

I was just thinking that some folk here are under the impression that you were some big, strong, muscley, hunky,bouncer type guy and was just setting the record straight for them. [Big Grin]

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oldbag:
This is mine:

PS yes I did buy a foodprocessor - but its still in its box 'having a holiday in the cupboard' as my old granny used to say

Now, people, sit down in a dark, quiet place before reading this.....

I got the food processor out yesterday (bought December 22nd), and USED it [Eek!] to chop up some lettuce, cucumber and tomato.

Now all I have to do is eat them [Razz]

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com