Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » VEGETARIAN (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: VEGETARIAN
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would love to get some wonderful tasty vegetarian dish recipes here. Please feel free to share your own, as we're trying to go much more healthy lately and need ideas. Thanks to all. Here is my contribution:

DUM ALOO

-

Small potatoes 1/2 kg
Coriander seeds 1 tbsp.
Cardamoms (brown) 4
Cloves 4-5
Black pepper 7-8
Cinnamon 1 small piece
Caraway seeds 1/4 tsp.
Cardamom (green) 2
Bay Leaves 4-5
Ginger garlic paste 1 tsp.
Turmeric Powder 1/2 tsp.
Chilli powder 1 tsp.
Medium size onion
(grated) 1
Fine yogurt (curd) 2 cup
Milk 1/2 cup
Ghee/oil 4 tbsp.
Salt to taste

1. Take coriander seeds, cardamoms, cloves, black pepper, cinnamon, caraway seeds, cardamom green and grind it in a blender to make fine powder. *this is garam masala*
2. Peel off the potatoes and prick it.
3. Heat oil in pressure pan for about one minute. Fry the potatoes in oil over medium heat till they change the color from white to light brown. Set aside.
4. Add bay leaves, ginger-garlic paste, grated onion to the remaining oil. Fry till the paste becomes reddish brown and the mixture starts separating from the oil.
5. Add the garam masala to this mixture and heat for 2-3 minutes.
6. Add turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt. Fry it about a minute.
7. Now add milk to make the gravy. Then add yogurt (fine) and continuously stir it.
8. If you find the gravy too thick, you can add some water.
9. Finally add pricked fried potaoes to the gravy and pressure cook it. Switch off the gas after 4-5 minutes.

Decorate it with green coriander leaves and serve hot.

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Almaz.
Member # 14025

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Almaz.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm heading to the market soon, and I will share the vegetarian side of the meal here, then!
[Wink]

Posts: 919 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, I'll stick with the Indian vibe.  -

This is a very easy but tasty recipe. I serve it with rice and a vegetable dish.

Red lentils with fried onions

200 gms red lentils
1 liter of water
1/2 tsp. curcum (turmeric)
1/2 tsp. cumin
2 tomatoes, diced
salt
2 green chilli peppers (or more, according to taste)
fresh coriander leaves
2 tbs. ghee or olive oil
3 cloves of garlic
3 medium sized onions, sliced
fresh coriander leaves (optional)

~ Put lentils, water, turmeric, cumin and tomatoes in pot and cook for 10-20 minutes. (Check frequently because red lentils get mushy very fast.)
~ Add salt and take off the stove.
~ Heat the ghee or oil in a small pot and fry the onions and the garlic until brown. The onions are similar to the ones you put on kushari, so you have to be patient and fry them for at least about 20 minutes, until they are nicely dark, but not burned.
~ Sprinkle onions (and chopped coriander leaves, if you have some) on the lentils, serve with basmati rice.

I cooked the dish below for a friend the other day, and since she liked it she asked me to translate the recipe for her. So since I've been typing it anyway, I might as well just post it here. [Wink] The original recipe calls for cauliflower instead of broccoli, but I find broccoli tastier and visually more appealing. Plus, in Egypt it's hard to get cauliflower. Also, I adjusted the amount of spices and used more than in the original recipe. You have to experiment and adjust according to your own taste ...

Broccoli-Potato-Curry

6 TB oil (I use olive oil plus a bit of butter)
500 gm potatoes, cut into small squares
500 gm broccoli, cut into medium size pieces (you can also use a package of frozen broccoli)
3 tomatoes, diced
1,5 tsp turmeric
1 tsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
salt
dash of sugar
approx. 1/2 liter of water
2 TB ghee
1 tsp garam masala
(If you can't get garam masala, you can easily make it yourself out of cardamom seeds, cinnamon, cumin, pepper, cloves and nutmeg.)

~ Heat oil or ghee in a big pot or wok on medium flame
~ Add turmeric, chili, cumin, salt and sugar. Mix well. Add tomatoes and stir for a minute
~ Add water and bring to a boil
~ Add potatoes and cook for about 15 minutes
~ Add broccoli and let it simmer until everything is tender

~ Add the ghee (or butter), sprinkle garam masala on top and serve with rice and lentils.

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is one of my favourite dishes, I've made it countless times.  -
Making the cheese is much easier than it sounds, so don't be intimidated. However, if you're too lazy or pressed for time or have vegan guests coming over (or Coptic Christians who are fasting that day), you can substitute the paneer with tofu; it has a similar consistency and taste.

Palak Paneer
(Spinach with fried cheese)

-

500 gms spinach (one package frozen)
paneer (*see recipe below) 1 cup cubed
1 - 2 big onions, chopped
4 cloves of garlic
2 cms ginger, finely diced
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp chili powder (I use more)
1 tsp ground coriander seeds
salt
oil or ghee for frying

1. Heat oil in a big pot or wok and fry the cubed paneer until light brown. Keep aside.
2. Put onions, garlic and ginger into the remaining oil and fry until golden brown.
3. Add spinach, turmeric, coriander and salt and fry for 2-3 minutes
4. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes
5. Add panir, stir, and cook for a few more minutes until the mixture is dry.

Paneer

Ingredients

• 2 litres of milk
• the juice of two lemons (white vinegar also works)
• cumin powder (optional)
• salt

Equipment

• big pan, at least 4 litres
• cheesecloth (cotton dishtowels work well for this)
• wooden spoon
• two chopping boards or similar

You can use a clean dishcloth for your cheesecloth, or any other smooth cotton cloth. Make sure you haven't washed it with fabric softener, and that it's been thoroughly rinsed. If it smells freshly laundered, that's how your cheese will taste!

Instructions

1. Pour the milk into the pan. Add about a teaspoonful of salt, and about a teaspoonful of ground cumin
2. Bring the milk to a gentle simmer. Keep it there for about 5 minutes. If you take your eyes off it for a second, it will boil over. If it burns, your paneer will taste funny.
3. Remove the simmered milk from the heat, and start to slowly stir in the lemon juice, about a tablespoonful at a time. The milk will begin to curdle. This is "curds and whey". If it doesn't go, add a tiny bit of vinegar.
4. Keep stirring and adding lemon juice until the curds are thick masses, and the whey is only slightly cloudy.
5. Drain off the whey, keeping the curds.
6. Dump the curds out onto the cloth (it will be messy), wrap them up, and squeeze the cloth to get the whey out.
7. Open up the cloth and look at the curds. Taste some. If it needs a bit more salt, add some (it should not taste salty). If it needs more cumin, add some (it should be quite subtle). If you feel like adding something else, like chilli, or coriander, or anything, now is a good time
8. Fold the curds up in the cloth, in a squarish block. Put the block on one chopping board, place the other chopping board on top, then balance the big pot, full of cold water, on top
(I don't have heavy chopping boards, so I just fill a big pot with water and let it sit on top of the cheese to press it.)

After a couple of hours, you will have pressed out all the whey that's going to go. Unwrap the cloth and dump it in the sink. It will need rinsed out and washed almost immediately, otherwise it will smell very sour. Clingfilm the paneer, and it will keep for a couple of weeks.

You can crumble it up onto curries. You can spread it on flat bread. You can even dip it in batter and deep-fry it. It tastes great. You've made cheese.

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GREAT recipes! I'll try to add another one every day or so~
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

I would love to make my own paneer, I may give this recipe a try Dalia. [Wink]
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
OKRA GUMBO
4 c. diced okra
3 med. tomatoes
1 chopped green pepper
2 chopped small onions
1 tsp. garlic
Dash of salt and pepper

Peel and chop tomatoes. Put okra, onions, green pepper and garlic into skillet . Cook until tender. Add tomatoes and cook slowly for 30 minutes stirring frequently. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Makes 5 servings

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

oh I love gumbo!!
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Southwestern Stuffed Veggie Peppers

-

* 2 cups vegetable broth
* 1 tablespoon butter
* 1 cup white rice
* 2 long mild red or green chile peppers (cubanelle Italian peppers may be substituted)
* 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
* 1 small onion, chopped
* 1 cup frozen peas
* 1 cup mild or medium prepared taco sauce
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 2 scallions, thinly sliced, for garnish
* 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves or flat leaf parsley, for garnish

Pre-heat a grill pan over high heat.

Bring 2 cups vegetable broth and butter to a boil in a small, covered pot. Add rice, reduce heat to low and cook for 18-20 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.

Split peppers lengthwise and remove seeds, leaving stems intact. Grill peppers on hot grill pan for 3-5 minutes on each side. Remove from grill and let cool enough to handle.

To a medium skillet over moderate heat, add one turn of the pan of EVOO, about 1 tablespoon, and onion. Sauté the onion for 2-3 minutes. Add cooked rice to the pan and stir in peas and taco sauce. Season rice with salt and pepper.

Load up pepper halves with seasoned rice. Top rice-filled peppers with scallions and chopped cilantro or parsley.

tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
Southwestern Stuffed Veggie Peppers

-

* 2 cups vegetable broth
* 1 tablespoon butter
* 1 cup white rice
* 2 long mild red or green chile peppers (cubanelle Italian peppers may be substituted)
* 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
* 1 small onion, chopped
* 1 cup frozen peas
* 1 cup mild or medium prepared taco sauce
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 2 scallions, thinly sliced, for garnish
* 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves or flat leaf parsley, for garnish

Pre-heat a grill pan over high heat.

Bring 2 cups vegetable broth and butter to a boil in a small, covered pot. Add rice, reduce heat to low and cook for 18-20 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.

Split peppers lengthwise and remove seeds, leaving stems intact. Grill peppers on hot grill pan for 3-5 minutes on each side. Remove from grill and let cool enough to handle.

To a medium skillet over moderate heat, add one turn of the pan of EVOO, about 1 tablespoon, and onion. Sauté the onion for 2-3 minutes. Add cooked rice to the pan and stir in peas and taco sauce. Season rice with salt and pepper.

Load up pepper halves with seasoned rice. Top rice-filled peppers with scallions and chopped cilantro or parsley.

them are good too!!
i am a rice person!!!my mom cooks great stuffed bell peppers!!
i just eat the rice dressing inside lol

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

lol My brother used to be the same way, we used to tell him it was the peppers that gave it their taste, he would just eat the filling. [Wink]
Almaz.
Member # 14025

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Almaz.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Healthy Summer Snack To Honor Your Thread! [Wink]

-

Posts: 919 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Almaz, you certainly out-did yourself with that. A big bowl of whipped cream and I would be attacking that fruit plate. [Big Grin]

Ok, here is my recipe de jour:

La Madeline's Tomato Basil Soup

-

* 4 cups fresh tomato, cored, peeled, and chopped (8-10) or canned whole tomatoes, crushed
* 4 cups tomato juice (or part vegetable or part chicken stock)
* 12-14 basil leaves, washed fresh
* 1 cup heavy cream
* 1/4 lb sweet unsalted butter
* salt
* 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
* lemon juice (optional)

Directions

Combine tomatoes, juice/and or stock in saucepan.
2. Simmer 30 minutes.
3. Puree, along with the basil leaves, in small batches, in blender, food processor (or better yet, one of those handy hand-held food blenders, right in the cooking pan). Return to saucepan and add cream and butter, while stirring, over low heat. Garnish with basil leaves and serve with your favorite bread.

Exiled
Member # 14410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Almaz.:

-

God that looks good.

I love fruit - i have such a sweet tooth for such fruit. It's nectarine, melon and cherry season now. [Smile]

Posts: 2418 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lumos
Member # 14589

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Lumos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Moroccan style broad bean salad with yoghurt and crunchy bits

serves 4
ingredients
• 4 large handfuls of podded broad beans
• 2 lemons
• extra virgin olive oil
• sea salt and freshly ground
black pepper
a handful of fresh mint, leaves picked
1 small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 teaspoon cumin seeds, bashed
a pinch of dried chilli
a handful of stale breadcrumbs
285ml/½ pint creamy live yoghurt or soured cream

In a shallow pan, on a medium heat, fry the chopped onion, cumin seeds and chilli in a little olive oil. Stir and cook until softened. As the onions start to colour, add your breadcrumbs and mix these really well into the onions. Continue to cook until the crumbs are crispy and golden, then season them to taste and put to one side. To serve, divide the yoghurt or sour cream between four plates or bowls. Give the broad beans a final toss, add the rest of the mint leaves, and divide between the plates on top of the yoghurt. Finally, sprinkle over the warm spiced crunchy bits.

Garnish with a little lemon zest.

Posts: 1157 | From: Censor - Edit - Delete, but you will never take away my FREEDOM! | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lumos
Member # 14589

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Lumos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mixed Bean and Rocket Salad

-

Serves: 6
Ingredients

½ tsp Smoked Paprika
250g Baby Plum Tomatoes or any tomatoes
2 peppers, deseeded and thinly sliced into rings
3 tbsp olive oil
4 tbsp drained and rinsed capers
400g of any mixed beans you like
rocket leaves or leaves of your choice
1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced

For the dressing
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp white wine vinegar
4 tbsp Toasted Pine Nuts
1 tsp Clear Honey

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 250°C, gas mark 9. Put the tomatoes and the red pepper slices into an ovenproof dish. Drizzle with the olive oil and roast for 5 minutes. Switch off the oven and leave them in the residual heat for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl, toss together the remaining salad ingredients, except the pine nuts. Drain the tomatoes and peppers, reserving the oil, and stir into the salad.
3. Make the dressing by whisking all the ingredients together with the reserved oil from the tomatoes and peppers. Drizzle over the salad and scatter with the toasted pine nuts.

As with most salads, this is best made just before serving. However, if you want to get ahead, you can roast the tomatoes and peppers and make the dressing the day before.

Posts: 1157 | From: Censor - Edit - Delete, but you will never take away my FREEDOM! | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lumos
Member # 14589

quote:
Originally posted by Dalia*:
This is one of my favourite dishes, I've made it countless times.  -
Making the cheese is much easier than it sounds, so don't be intimidated. However, if you're too lazy or pressed for time or have vegan guests coming over (or Coptic Christians who are fasting that day), you can substitute the paneer with tofu; it has a similar consistency and taste.

Palak Paneer
(Spinach with fried cheese)

-

500 gms spinach (one package frozen)
paneer (*see recipe below) 1 cup cubed
1 - 2 big onions, chopped
4 cloves of garlic
2 cms ginger, finely diced
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp chili powder (I use more)
1 tsp ground coriander seeds
salt
oil or ghee for frying

1. Heat oil in a big pot or wok and fry the cubed paneer until light brown. Keep aside.
2. Put onions, garlic and ginger into the remaining oil and fry until golden brown.
3. Add spinach, turmeric, coriander and salt and fry for 2-3 minutes
4. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes
5. Add panir, stir, and cook for a few more minutes until the mixture is dry.

Paneer

Ingredients

• 2 litres of milk
• the juice of two lemons (white vinegar also works)
• cumin powder (optional)
• salt

Equipment

• big pan, at least 4 litres
• cheesecloth (cotton dishtowels work well for this)
• wooden spoon
• two chopping boards or similar

You can use a clean dishcloth for your cheesecloth, or any other smooth cotton cloth. Make sure you haven't washed it with fabric softener, and that it's been thoroughly rinsed. If it smells freshly laundered, that's how your cheese will taste!

Instructions

1. Pour the milk into the pan. Add about a teaspoonful of salt, and about a teaspoonful of ground cumin
2. Bring the milk to a gentle simmer. Keep it there for about 5 minutes. If you take your eyes off it for a second, it will boil over. If it burns, your paneer will taste funny.
3. Remove the simmered milk from the heat, and start to slowly stir in the lemon juice, about a tablespoonful at a time. The milk will begin to curdle. This is "curds and whey". If it doesn't go, add a tiny bit of vinegar.
4. Keep stirring and adding lemon juice until the curds are thick masses, and the whey is only slightly cloudy.
5. Drain off the whey, keeping the curds.
6. Dump the curds out onto the cloth (it will be messy), wrap them up, and squeeze the cloth to get the whey out.
7. Open up the cloth and look at the curds. Taste some. If it needs a bit more salt, add some (it should not taste salty). If it needs more cumin, add some (it should be quite subtle). If you feel like adding something else, like chilli, or coriander, or anything, now is a good time
8. Fold the curds up in the cloth, in a squarish block. Put the block on one chopping board, place the other chopping board on top, then balance the big pot, full of cold water, on top
(I don't have heavy chopping boards, so I just fill a big pot with water and let it sit on top of the cheese to press it.)

After a couple of hours, you will have pressed out all the whey that's going to go. Unwrap the cloth and dump it in the sink. It will need rinsed out and washed almost immediately, otherwise it will smell very sour. Clingfilm the paneer, and it will keep for a couple of weeks.

You can crumble it up onto curries. You can spread it on flat bread. You can even dip it in batter and deep-fry it. It tastes great. You've made cheese.

I love paneer, but have never made my own. The first time I tried it in India, I wondered if some chicken-like texture had mistakenly made it's way into my food. Today, it's widely available, like tofu and quorn. Guests at your home are very well looked after indeed, Dalia!
seabreeze
Member # 10289

GREAT recipes Lumos! [Wink]
miffmiss
Member # 14978

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for miffmiss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smuckers. i tried out your 1st receipe this weekend for me and my friends and it went down a treat. Everyone loved it. Even i liked it cos it wasnt full of veg.

Thanks

Vx

Posts: 1710 | From: we come in peace | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

ohhh I'm so happy you liked it!
Yes, vegetarian dishes can be soooooooo tasty, but if you're a meat eater you can only do it a few days before you have withdrawls. [Big Grin] It's so much better for you and I swear you don't feel so heavy after you eat a good veggie meal. I hope more people contribute. [Wink]
I can't wait to try out that paneer. !!!

Yowza
Member # 14400

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yowza     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm trying this one! Even though I don't like spinach much, this one looks great.
Posts: 198 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Green Beans with Lemon

-

1 pound haricots verts (thin French green beans) or regular green beans
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh flat-leafed parsley leaves (wash and dry before chopping)
1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Trim regular green beans if using and in a large saucepan of boiling salted water cook beans until crisp-tender (2 minutes for haricots verts or 3 to 4 minutes for regular green beans) and drain in a colander.
In a bowl toss beans with lemon juice, parsley, lemon zest, and season with salt and pepper.

Dalia*
Member # 10593

This is what I'm going to cook tonight. I've never tried it before but will serve it along with the lentils+onions I posted earlier on.

Eggplant Spinach Curry

1/4 cup oil
1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
12 garlic cloves minced
2 pound spinach rinsed, dried, and finely chopped
1 medium eggplant cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 piece ginger root (1-inch) peeled and grated
1/4 teaspoon jalapeno chiles, minced
1/4 teaspoon tumeric powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 medium tomatoes finely chopped
salt to taste
cilantro sprigs, for garnish

Heat oil with half of the mustard seeds in a large saucepan. Add remaining mustard seeds when the cooked seeds begin to pop. Add garlic and saute until tender. Add spinach, a small amount at a time, stirring occasionally to keep spinach from scorching. When spinach wilts, add eggplant, ginger, jalapeno chiles, tumeric, paprika, coriander, and cumin. Saute to blend the flavors. Cover, and cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes. Add tomatoes and season to taste with salt. Cook uncovered for 5 minutes longer. Garnish with cilantro.

-

seabreeze
Member # 10289

I thought I would do a dessert today since my husband has been begging for something sweet again. This is a favorite, and SOOOO good - quite fattening too so just a little at a time! [Wink]

BREAD PUDDING

* 3-4 c of stale white bread, cubed
* 3 eggs
* 3 c milk
* 1/3 c sugar
* ½ t salt
* 2 t vanilla
Preheat oven to 350.

Arrange bread cubes in baking dish. Combine remaining ingredients in the bowl to make a custard, and pour over the bread.
 -

Bake about 35 minutes, until firm but still moist. Serve warm.

-

Dalia*
Member # 10593

What's fattening about it? The ingredients don't sound healthy, ok, but it doesn't seem to be high in calories.

Not that I care about fattening ... just curious.

seabreeze
Member # 10289

Sorry, I just mean if you eat the entire thing in one sitting like I try to. [Big Grin]
Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Desertgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Exiled:
quote:
Originally posted by Almaz.:

-

God that looks good.

I love fruit - i have such a sweet tooth for such fruit. It's nectarine, melon and cherry season now. [Smile]

Wow, Almaz! [Razz] [Razz]
Posts: 2932 | From: Just now and then | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Desertgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will make a vegetarian lasagna next week.
(with mushrooms and courgettes)
As I will be very busy the next 4 days (correcting exams)( [Frown] ) I plan to do this next Thursday. Keep posting, I like the cooking section on ES a lot. [Smile]

Posts: 2932 | From: Just now and then | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

That sounds good DG, can you post your recipe? [Smile]
Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
yes, sure. I will post it when I prepare the lasagna and add some pics. [Smile]
Dalia*
Member # 10593

The eggplant spinach curry was yummy, I highly recommend it. Easy to make, too.  -
seabreeze
Member # 10289

It sounds great, I love a lot of garlic, was it very garlicky? (is that a word??)

I'm doing the bread pudding today, I didn't have everything I needed yesterday, so wish me luck.

I did this recipe yesterday and it came out pretty good, thought I would share it:

Peas, Potatoes, Corn, Carrots, Cauliflower etc(boiled) - 1 cup
Pepper(crushed ) - 2 tsp
Garlic(chopped) - 1 tsp
Ginger(chopped) -1/4 tsp
Onion - 1 no
(chopped)
Tomato - 1 - 2 nos
(chopped)
Penne or macroni(boiled) - 1 cup
Salt - As reqd
Tomato sauce - 2 tsp
Oil or butter - 2 - 3 tsp
Water - 1 cup

For white sauce:-
All purpose flour - 2 tsp
Milk - 1/2 cup
Butter - 1 tsp

1)Boil the macaroni or penne in water with a pinch of salt, till its done.

2)Mix together milk and flour without any lumps.

3)Heat butter in a pan.

4)Add the milk flour mixture, stirring well for 2 - 3 mins. Keep aside.

:- Can add little water or milk if it becomes very thick as it should be of sauce consistency.

5)Heat oil or butter in the pan.

6)Saute onions, ginger and garlic, till light brown.

7)Add tomatoes and fry for 3 - 4 mins.

8)Add the boiled vegetables and salt and saute for 3 - 5 mins.

9)Add tomato sauce and pepper.

10)Mix well for 2 mins.

11)Add the boiled penne or macaroni and cook well for 5 mins.

12)Pour the white sauce and mix all the ingredients well.

:- Serve hot.

:- You can microwave the same with shredded cheese on top, till the cheese melts.
:- Can use chilli sauce or more pepper, if tangy state is required.

-

Dalia*
Member # 10593

quote:
It sounds great, I love a lot of garlic, was it very garlicky? (is that a word??)

Well, the recipe calls for 12 cloves, so it was quite garlicky. [Big Grin]
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Hope you post a new one today Dalia! [Wink]
Lumos
Member # 14589

quote:
Originally posted by Dalia*:
What's fattening about it? The ingredients don't sound healthy, ok, but it doesn't seem to be high in calories.

Not that I care about fattening ... just curious.

It's positively slimline, compared to the UK version - Bread and Butter Pudding. [Razz] The bread is buttered, then layered with sultanas, before soaking in the egg mixture and baking. It's deliciously wicked!
seabreeze
Member # 10289

There is a different way, you can add a bit of rum if you like, or pecans.
Lumos, why don't you add a good UK pudding recipe? I always wanted to give them a try! [Wink]

seabreeze
Member # 10289

-

Potatoes today! [Smile]

Herb Roasted Potatoes with onion

* 6 large potatoes, cut in quarters
* 6 medium onions, quartered
* 1/3 cup vegetable oil
* 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
* 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
* 1 teaspoon dried leaf basil
* 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme

Preheat oven to 375°.

Place potatoes and onions in a shallow roasting pan. Drizzle the vegetable oil over vegetables and sprinkle with pepper, parsley, basil, and thyme. Lightly stir vegetables to coat all sides with oil and seasonings; bake, uncovered, for about 1 hour, or until fork-tender, turning occasionally to keep the vegetables from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Serve immediately.
6 servings.
(I USE OLIVE OIL BUT IT'S YOUR CHOICE!)

-

Lumos
Member # 14589

These also work well with fresh rosemary and garlic, Smuckers. I like them cut into wedges too.
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Ohhh garlic, that sounds goooodd! [Wink]
Superwoman
Member # 14656

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superwoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh they do look good, i am going to do these today as well.

disclaimer: No potatos will be peeled without the full consent of the potato peeler.

Posts: 918 | From: Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn-Bev*
Member # 15190

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn-Bev*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
do you want some fresh rosemary, lemon balm and mint from my garden - there's so much of it!
Posts: 712 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My spicy eggplant. I don't have a pic. [Frown]

This is called "Baigan Bhartha" and is one of my favorite dishes ever!

Veggies:
1 large eggplant
3 ripe tomatoes, or 2 14.5 ounce cans of diced tomatoes
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
1 jalapeno or green chilli (finely diced) (I use 1/2 to 3/4 of a large jalapeno)
garlic to taste (chopped/diced)
1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and cut (finely chopped)
1 green pepper (chopped)

Spices:
2 cloves cardamom, crushed
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teasoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
Kosher salt to taste
(equivalent amount of garam masala can be used in place of coriander/cumin)

Olive oil

Directions:

Cut the eggplant lengthwise and then one-half inch slices.
Brush with olive oil and salt
Lay eggplant out on sheet of aluminium foil or cookie sheet. Broil in the oven until tender and browned.

Heat large frying pan over medium high heat.
Add black mustard seeds and other dry spices, allow to heat up a bit.
Add some olive oil to spices.
Coarsely chop onion and green pepper, finely dice jalapeno pepper, and add to pan to heat. Add the garlic and ginger. Stir to mix.

When onions are clear, add tomatoes and eggplant from oven. Allow to simmer until desired consistency. Serve over rice.

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiled
Member # 14410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cooked the southwestern stuffed peppers yesterday and the dish took a while because I made taco sauce from scratch and that alone took 2 hours mostly simmering. I however did not understand what the recipe meant when the recipe called for:

I mean how can you split them length wish and then have to stuff them. I remedied this part by baking the peppers after wards in the oven, I simply poured a little olive oil on top and baked. This reminded me of mashi but the taste is different of course. I also made bread butter pudding, and I should have followed smuckers recipe but I didn’t and mines came out not as sweet as it should be. (I took a pic and maybe I’ll upload it later). I was amazed at how fluffy and pie like the soaked bread turned out in the oven.

Posts: 2418 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

I also did not split them lengthwise Exiled, I agreed with you. [Wink] BTW, my husband also said, 'maashi!'. [Eek!]

I always add a bit more sugar to the bread pudding recipe, also cinnamon and nutmeg. It's so sweet and good, my husband loved it. I'd love to see a photo of yours, it's a great cheap dessert to make and super easy. [Wink]
Glad you tried them.

YWC, your recipe sound really good...eggplants are abundant here now so I might give it a try. I can't find black mustard seeds though, what do you think would be an appropriate substitution? [Confused]

Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
VEGETARIAN LASAGNA

I was not really sure about posting my lasagna but another member convinced me it looked ok. [Smile]

Ingredients:
mushrooms/ courgettes / pasta (lasagna)/ onions/ red pepper/ cheese (combination of gouda and emmental)/ tomato sauce

-

-

-

-

-

The result (it was ok).
 -

Dalia*
Member # 10593

quote:
YWC, your recipe sound really good...eggplants are abundant here now so I might give it a try. I can't find black mustard seeds though, what do you think would be an appropriate substitution? [Confused]

I've eaten this at restaurants but never cooked it myself. This recipe will definitely be the next one I'll try.

Smuckers, I wasn't able to find mustard seeds either. I would just make the dish without, maybe increase the amount of the other spices a bit.

Yowza
Member # 14400

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yowza     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never tried eggplant in lasagna, it sounds very good. I'll be trying this one soon too. [Smile]
Posts: 198 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Cooked, black mustard seeds don't taste like any mustard we are used to. Instead, they have a nutty flavor. They just provide some depth to the overall taste. You could cook without them. Or perhaps a teaspoon of sesame oil? I have no clue how that might turn out though.

I wish I'd known. I could have brought you TONS of black mustard seeds. I get huge bags of them for about $2 in the Indian food stores, and can never use them fast enough.

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

I found this online about it:

Brown or yellow mustard are no substitute for the black mustard seed. If you can't find black mustard seed - and it can be difficult to find if there's no Indian grocery near you - just leave it out.
web page

Dalia*
Member # 10593

Exactly, that's why I suggested leaving them out.
I'm sure it must be possible to find them somewhere in Cairo though, I will keep asking if I come across spice stores; should I happen to get some I can send them to you.

I also get them easily and cheaply in Germany, so I'll definitely bring some with me in summer.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com