Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » VEGETARIAN (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: VEGETARIAN
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:

Potatoes today! [Smile]

I love baked potatoes, so easy and delicious.

Try potatoes with sesame:
Wash potatoes, cut in half, dip the surface in oil (or brush it on), then in sesame. Bake until soft and serve with oil, butter or aïoli and a big salad.

-

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lumos
Member # 14589

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Lumos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that an X-rated potato, Dalia? [Razz] I just get flashing neon box, with what looks like a a banned image!
Posts: 1157 | From: Censor - Edit - Delete, but you will never take away my FREEDOM! | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dalia!? [Eek!] Naked poatoes! ?
[Big Grin] [Razz]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lumos
Member # 14589

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Lumos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hot potatoes? [Eek!]
Posts: 1157 | From: Censor - Edit - Delete, but you will never take away my FREEDOM! | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lumos:
Hot potatoes? [Eek!]

[Big Grin] lol
Hot potatoes...must be a recipe by...THE NAKED CHEF.
[Razz]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Strange, I can see it perfectly.
I'll try to down- and upload it and edit my post ...

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lumos
Member # 14589

"...must be a recipe by...THE NAKED CHEF." - Smuckers.

[Big Grin]

Thanks, Dalia! I see it now - they look like baby hedgehogs... one albino!

seabreeze
Member # 10289

Ohhh wow those actually look really good! [Eek!]
I see the potato with sesame, what are on the other potatos? [Confused]

Dalia*
Member # 10593

Caraway seeds and rosemary.
Lumos
Member # 14589

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Lumos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds delicious.
Yowza
Member # 14400

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yowza     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to try this!
Posts: 198 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

quote:
Originally posted by Dalia*:
Caraway seeds and rosemary.

Sounds great, I wonder what other spices would be good for this, I might do a bit of dabbling. [Wink]
Dalia*
Member # 10593

I was thinking of trying it with zaatar, I'm sure that would be yummy, particularly with a good olive oil.  -

-

Dalia*
Member # 10593

quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
Dalia!? [Eek!] Naked poatoes! ?
[Big Grin] [Razz]

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-

Yowza
Member # 14400

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yowza     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin]

What is Zaatar?

Posts: 198 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

quote:
Originally posted by Dalia*:
I was thinking of trying it with zaatar, I'm sure that would be yummy, particularly with a good olive oil.  -

-

Oh good thinking, Zaatar, I'll bet you get really good Zaatar in Cairo. Darn it, I'll have to see what I can find. I was also thinking that maybe a combination of onion and dill, but it would need to be dried onion. [Cool]
(LUVed the potato picture btw [Wink] )

Dalia*
Member # 10593

quote:
Originally posted by Yowza:
What is Zaatar?

Za'atar

Also known as zahtar, this spice blend is predominately ground sumac, roasted sesame seeds, and green herbs, za'atar is used to flavour meats and vegetables, or mixed with olive oil and used as a marinade for olives or as a spread for pita or flatbread. The taste of a za'atar mixture can be tangy, herbal, nutty, or toasty.

Za'atar is both a family of herbs and an herb, Thymbra spicata, with a slight minty tendency,in the marjoram/oregano family. Some are salty flavoured and quite rare, some are lemony. Za'atar is not sumac; what is sold commercially is often blended with sumac and lightly toasted sesame seeds, but the base of the za'atar blend is za'atar herbs.

Marjoram is much milder than the oregano we usually find, Western blends usually use it along with oregano and thyme. In the East, thyme is "zaatar romi"(roman zaatar), and oregano is "zaatar ach'dar"(green zaatar) and so forth. Zaatar can also be the name of hyssop or a varied mixture of herbs. Commercial blends will often contain three kinds of zaatar and sumac.

Recipe for Za'atar

Ingredients:

2 teaspoons oregano
2 teaspoons basil
2 tablespoons ground thyme
1 teaspoon whole thyme
2 teaspoons savory
2 teaspoons ground marjoram
1/2 teaspoons whole dry marjoram
1-2 tablespoons ground sumac berries
1/4-1/2 cup unhulled, toasted sesame seeds, ground coarsely
1 1/2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
1 tablespoon dried ground lemon peel or zest of two lemons, very finely minced

Preparation:

Ideally, this is a little coarse. First grind the sesame seeds then crush everything together with a pestle.

While it is fresh, dampen a few tablespoons with olive oil, and add some hummus or crushed chickpeas. Spread on pita or flatbread, and bake or broil until heated through.

Green zahtar variation: Omit sumac and replace with ground and whole thyme or marjoram, fenugreek leaf (exotic flavor) or dried parsley.

http://www.theepicentre.com/Spices/zaatar.html

seabreeze
Member # 10289

Corn Tortillas

1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup unbleached white flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup warm water
Non stick cooking spray

In large bowl combine first 4 ingredients. Stir in warm water until mixture is blended and sticks together. Form into 12 balls. Place the balls between pieces of waxed paper. With a tortilla press or a rolling pin, roll each tortilla into a round that is about 5-6 inches in diameter. Spray a griddle or lg fry pan with spray. Heat each tortilla for 1 1/2-2 minutes per side. Tortilla should be speckled and brown when cooked.

Southwest Tortilla Quiche

-

Flour or corn Tortillas ( I Prefer Corn!)
3 Eggs
1/3 cup Milk
1 red pepper choped finely
3/4 cup Cheddar Cheese grated
1 Tbsp. Green Onions chopped
2/3 cup canned Corn drained
1 Tbsp. Flour
1/8 tsp. Red Hot Pepper Sauce to desired taste

Recipe Instructions:

1. Spray room temperature tortillas with cooking spray and press into large muffin tins or custard cups. Combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl and season to taste. Pour 1/4 cup of mixture into each tortilla shell and bake at 350 degrees F for 55 minutes or until set. Serve warm with salsa.

seabreeze
Member # 10289

Cauliflower and Potato Curry

-

* 4 Cups potatoes, peeled and quartered
* 1 small cauliflower, cut into florets
* a pinch of asafetida
* 3/4 tsp ground turmeric
* 1/2 tsp chilli powder
* 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
* 3/4 tsp salt
* big pinch of sugar
* 2 tomatoes, chopped
* 1 1/4 cups water
* 1/2 tsp garam masala

Add all ingredients to a crockpot and cook on low for approximately six hours.

Dalia*
Member # 10593

Six hours?!?  -
love in the Pyramids
Member # 15468

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for love in the Pyramids     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tortilla Española (spanish omelette)

Prepare a large bowl with 1kg of thinly sliced potatoes and sprinkle plenty salt over them and work it down to the bottom of the bowl.

In a large frying pan heat about ½ cm of olive oil. When it's very hot add the potatoes from the bowl and start to fry them. Be sure to keep stirring them so that they don't stick or start to brown.

After about 5 minutes add half an onion to the potatoes. This should be chopped very fine. Stir the contents of the frying pan then cover it.

Now break 8 large eggs into a bowl and add a pinch of salt and beat them.

Keep checking the frying pan to be sure that the potatoes aren't turning brown. Turn down the heat if necessary
Once the potatoes break easily under the touch of the stirring spoon they are ready. So now add the potato/onion mix to the bowl of beaten eggs. Drain away any excess that's left in the frying pan oil at this point.
Mix the potato and egg mixtures together well whilst the frying pan gets very hot with no extra oil in it.
Now add the mix to the frying pan.

Flatten it down in the pan and keep the heat at medium for a few minutes.
Put a plate over the mix and turn over the tortilla gently. When you return it to the pan press down the sides to create the classic shape of tortilla de patatas.

Turn the tortilla several times. You'll find it gets heavier each turn.

It is ready when you put a knife into it and the knife comes out clean.

This recipe makes a vary large omelette. What I tend to do is create the same mixture as above but make two separate tortillas using a smaller pan as this seems more manageable. Be sure to use a ladle when transferring the mixture to the frying pan if you decide to follow this advice otherwise one omelette ends up with too much liquid and the other with too much potato.

Posts: 31 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com