Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Seafood Stew/Soup

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Seafood Stew/Soup
Exiled
Member # 14410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is time for me to cook again and initially i planned to cook Micky's Grecian chicken but i am a seafood lover and i am craving seafood. So i will attempt to cook a seafood stew/soup. I have two recipes i am looking at and i will use them both. Seafood soup/stew recipes are not the easiest to come by but i will do my best.

My main ingredients will be mixed seafood consisting of octopus, shrimp, mussels, crab meat and whatever else is in the bag and fish fillets from Oman.

Here is one of the recipes that i am basing my recipe on, like i mentioned earlier this recipe is just a guideline as i will surely substitute plain water with freshly made chicken broth.

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
* 1/2 cup chopped onion
* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
* 1 tablespoon cornstarch
* 1 can (14.5 ounces) stewed tomatoes
* 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
* 1 can hot and spicy style tomato juice, (6 oz)
* 1 cup frozen cut okra
* 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
* 4 ounces frozen imitation crab, about 1 cup
* 3/4 cup quick-cooking rice
* 1 1/4 cups water

PREPARATION:
In a large saucepan or Dutch oven cook sweet pepper and onion in hot oil till tender; stir in cornstarch. Add undrained tomatoes, Cajun seasoning, and tomato juice . Cook and stir till bubbly; add okra. Bring mixture to boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.

Stir in shrimp; simmer until shrimp is cooked through. Add immitation crab, uncooked rice, and water. Return mixture to boiling. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand about 5 minutes or till rice is tender, stirring occasionally.
Makes 4 servings.

P.S if anyone has a good seafood stew/soup recipe speak now or forever hold your peace!

Posts: 2418 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiled
Member # 14410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel very confident and i think this dish will come out great. I feel relaxed, chilling, listening to mood FM (great music), just finished a cappuccino and in a few minutes the broth should be done and i will get busy.

See you guys later. Making love out of nothing at all (that's mood FM for you)

Posts: 2418 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiled
Member # 14410

i have experienced two problems thus far, one minor and the other i am not sure of it's severity yet, the minor one is that i used too many tomoatoes and i recitfied this by taking them while everything was sauteeing - the other problem was that i did not include enough chilli peppers and so i added hot sauce and the problem here is that the mixture had that distinct tabasco/ hot sauce taste, i am in the process of neutralizing this taste,

at least the music is great - can i, can i, have this dance forever [Wink]

Exiled
Member # 14410

It turned out awesome [Smile] You know a little extra hot sauce couldn't stop my flow, actually the tabasco taste neutralized when i added the broth, i also added an additional fillet. I hooked up temra (that's my cat) by giving her the chicken from the chicken bones i used to make broth. Now i'm gonna chill with my lady and watch U-Turn starring Sean Penn, J-Lo and i don't remember who else. I'll kick it with you guys later on tonight and post some pics.

ciao [Smile]

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sounds awesome [Razz]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiled
Member # 14410

quote:
Originally posted by MICKY A:
sounds awesome [Razz]

Nice to see you around Micky, I know you’re very busy nowadays. [Smile]

Here’s a pic of the ingredients, I did not use the yellow pepper, took out half of the tomatoes you see there and I also added an additional fillet. I used an array of spices e.g. chill pepper, salt, pepper, a pinch of cumin.

-

Here’s a result of my cutting, dicing and slicing. Yeah I wasn’t playing around and you know I was chop-chop-chop and just got down to business – and really this dish was easy, easy to prepare and easy to cook and most of all easy to slice and clean up.

-

This is the finished product and it tasted awesome - simply a bona-fide seafood stew/soup. It hit the spot [Smile] White rice could have complimented it but I made it rich and plentiful which was satisfying all by itself.

-

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yummoooooooooooooooooooooooooo, great job there"A" [Razz] [Smile]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
i love crab soup so i will share my recipe for
MARYLAND CRAB SOUP

30 ounces Beef Broth
6 cups Water
1/4 cup Onion or Leeks -- chopped
2 1/2 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning
16 ounces Tomato -- chopped
1/4 pound String beans
2 Celery Stalks -- sliced
8 ounces kernel Corn
4 Carrots -- sliced
5 cups Potatoes -- sliced
16 ounces Crab Meat

Saute onion & combine w/broth, water & Old Bay seasoning; Add vegetables & simmer
1 1/2 hrs; Add crab meat & simmer 1 1/2 hrs more.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com