Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Jamaican Jerk Chicken (most difficult dish yet)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jamaican Jerk Chicken (most difficult dish yet)
Exiled
Member # 14410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have always loved jerk chicken but there is simply no place in town to buy it. So i'm going to have to cook it myself. I will save this dish for the weekend (either tomorrow or friday) because it requires outdoor grilling.

This is not an easy dish at all but i found what appears to be an authentic recipe. Nothing is ever easy and i know i will have to prepare this from scratch (spice wise) but i will search for jerk chicken spice and who knows maybe i might get lucky.

If i bag this recipe, i will be all smiles because i do love JJC. [Smile]

P.S if anyone has any tips with this dish - do speak up.

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 tbs. Ground allspice
* 1 tbs. Dried thyme
* 1 1/2 tsp. Cayenne pepper
* 1 1/2 tsp. Freshly ground black pepper
* 1 1/2 tsp. Ground sage
* 3/4 tsp. Ground nutmeg
* 3/4 tsp. Ground cinnamon
* 2 tbs. Salt
* 2 tbs. Garlic powder
* 1 tbs. Sugar
* 1/4 cup Olive oil
* 1/4 cup Soy sauce
* 3/4 cup White vinegar
* 1/2 cup Orange juice
* Juice of 1 lime
* 1 Scotch bonnet pepper, seeded and finely chopped
* 1 cup Chopped white onion
* 3 Green onions, finely chopped
* 4 Chicken breasts (6 to 8 oz)trimmed of fat

METHOD / DIRECTIONS:

In a large bowl, combine the allspice, thyme, cayenne pepper, black pepper, sage, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, garlic powder and sugar. With a wire whisk, slowly add the olive oil, soy sauce, vinegar, orange juice, and lime juice. Add the Scotch bonnet pepper, onion, and green onions and mix well. Add the chicken breasts, cover and marinate for at least 1 hour, longer if possible. Preheat an outdoor grill. Remove the breasts from the marinade and grill for 6 minutes on each side or until fully cooked. While grilling, baste with the marinade.

Posts: 2418 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Desertgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds good to me [Razz] . Good luck!
Posts: 2932 | From: Just now and then | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiled
Member # 14410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by desertgirl:
Sounds good to me [Razz] . Good luck!

Thank you my dear, i think this one time i do need luck, so before i cook this dish, do a good luck dance for me on your Belgium rug and wish me the best [Razz]
Posts: 2418 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiled
Member # 14410

Good morning everyone,

I thought i would have a difficult time finding allspice, which is translated as sweet black pepper but apparently Palestinians use this spice for their cooking and i easily found it. So yes i caught a break, allspice as in 1 spice and not the allspice that has a combination of spices.

I procured all the ingredients save ground sage, i just couldn't find it. I will begin mixing the spices and marinating the chicken in a little while.

Here is a pic of allspice, it is a very important ingredient in Jamaican food and really without it, it would have been fruitless because to get the jerk chicken taste (Jamaican style), allspice is essential.

pic of allspice.

-

Exiled
Member # 14410

The chicken has been marinating in the fridge for about an hour and a half. The marinade is really quite something and extensive to say the least. I am apprehensive with regards to grilling the chicken breasts on the BBQ grill. The recipe called for chicken breast only but I also added legs and thighs.

You see the Arabic bbq grills are shallow hence the flame/heat reaching the chicken is much hotter. Anyway, I am thinking about grilling the legs, thighs and wings on the bbq grill and grilling the breasts inside the oven as a precautionary measure. The last thing I want is dry chicken breast! I'll see.

Ingredients minus chicken and sugar.

-

Marinating

-

Exiled
Member # 14410

I actually forgot about the meat thermometer i bought few months ago. I am going to BBQ everything [Big Grin] with confidence [Big Grin]
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you my enemy Exiled? [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Hate diettt [Mad] [Mad]

But the place I live is famous for it s kebab and also mezes.. So try to move a little bit north with your wife for having a gastronomic weekend, I m inviting you [Wink]

Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ironborn
Member # 12020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ironborn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dunes, since my family is from Jamaica (and I actually lived there), I've had more than my fair share of authentic Jerk chicken and Jerk Pork.

It's VERY difficult to pull off though, even if you are an experienced cook/chef.

Jerk food must be cooked a certain way for it to taste right. I've seen them do it before, and it's pretty damn complicated.

Real jerk chicken/pork is SLOW roasted in a dug out pit, and cooked using pimento wood and some other stuff which adds to the flavor.

Without the wood, it will never taste the way it's meant to taste.

~EnJoY

--------------------
Lies fade like smoke when uncovered..but Truth, burns like fire.

Posts: 1221 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiled
Member # 14410

quote:
Originally posted by Shahrazat:
Are you my enemy Exiled? [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Hate diettt [Mad] [Mad]

But the place I live is famous for it s kebab and also mezes.. So try to move a little bit north with your wife for having a gastronomic weekend, I m inviting you [Wink]

Thanks for the invite, i'll keep that in mind [Smile] ... and when i cook, you need to relax and not think about calories [Smile] especially with this dish as the chicken is skinless [Wink] which is actually making my job a little harder.
Exiled
Member # 14410

quote:
Originally posted by EnJoY:
Dunes, since my family is from Jamaica (and I actually lived there), I've had more than my fair share of authentic Jerk chicken and Jerk Pork.

It's VERY difficult to pull off though, even if you are an experienced cook/chef.

Jerk food must be cooked a certain way for it to taste right. I've seen them do it before, and it's pretty damn complicated.

Real jerk chicken/pork is SLOW roasted in a dug out pit, and cooked using pimento wood and some other stuff which adds to the flavor.

Without the wood, it will never taste the way it's meant to taste.

~EnJoY

Well, well, well if it isn't Alistair ... what's up with the new nick ... you do know it is spelled exactly like a brand of U.H.T Egyptian milk. [Smile]

That's alright Ali, what i am trying to do here is merely replicate the taste of Jamaican Jerk Chicken that i ate regularly in NY (restaurants/gf grandmothers house ). Some delcious jerk chicken was even bbq outside in oil barrels (yes oil barrels) and they only used coal. [Smile]

Nice to see you around, i actually asked about you, thought we lost you to a fire in Houston or something [Big Grin]

Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Desertgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the same bottle of Kikkoman Soy Sauce [Big Grin] .
(all purpose)
To shahrazat: diet?? all recipes with chicken are allowed (or maybe I just tell myself [Wink] )

Let us know how it worked out and ~ EnJoY!

Posts: 2932 | From: Just now and then | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DG I have a calorie chart and it makes me to keep my mouth closed [Frown] [Frown]

I know I dont need to be that much strict as I m not fat but some kind of obssession in these days [Frown] [Big Grin]

Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ironborn
Member # 12020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ironborn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Exiled:
Well, well, well if it isn't Alistair ... what's up with the new nick ... you do know it is spelled exactly like a brand of U.H.T Egyptian milk. [Smile]

I usually change my handle every once in a while, just to f*ck with people [Big Grin]

quote:
That's alright Ali, what i am trying to do here is merely replicate the taste of Jamaican Jerk Chicken that i ate regularly in NY (restaurants/gf grandmothers house ). Some delcious jerk chicken was even bbq outside in oil barrels (yes oil barrels) and they only used coal. [Smile]
Well good luck dude.. If you can pull this off, then you've got mad skills.

I'm not even a novice cook, but I can tell you that Jerk chicken/pork is probably one of the hardest meat based dishes to get right.

I've seen so many talented cooks try their hand at it and f*ck it up that it seems almost an impossible task.

BTW, did you ever try the pork? The pork tastes 10 times better than the chicken. The pork seems to hold the flavor much more than the chicken for some reason.

quote:
thought we lost you to a fire in Houston or something [Big Grin]
Nope, I'm still very much alive [Big Grin]

~EnJoY

Posts: 1221 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
To Shahrazat: Advice; throw away the calorie chart [Big Grin]

I used to have a summary of "allowed food" (also a bit obsessed about weight [Wink] ) but as Nutella was a no no, I got rid of it!
I cannot survive on 1 bread crumb and half a carrot a day anyway. [Big Grin]

Exiled, please continue... [Smile]

Exiled
Member # 14410

quote:
Originally posted by EnJoY:
quote:

I usually change my handle every once in a while, just to f*ck with people [Big Grin]

quote:
Well good luck dude.. If you can pull this off, then you've got mad skills.

I'm not even a novice cook, but I can tell you that Jerk chicken/pork is probably one of the hardest meat based dishes to get right.

I've seen so many talented cooks try their hand at it and f*ck it up that it seems almost an impossible task.

BTW, did you ever try the pork? The pork tastes 10 times better than the chicken. The pork seems to hold the flavor much more than the chicken for some reason.

quote:
thought we lost you to a fire in Houston or something [Big Grin]
Nope, I'm still very much alive [Big Grin]

~EnJoY

Thanks for the encouragement ali, not like I don’t have enough pressure as is. [Big Grin] I’ll cook this bird soon though and I am seriously thinking about cooking the breasts in the oven. If I achieve something like these guys, I am all smiles :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q64InPVlCA8 (this guy is actually using an oven)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLyOHlnFGGk&feature=related

I’ll serve this dish with yellow basmati rice (Indian gate brand), corn and mulberries will be for dessert [Smile]

Note: chicken has been marinating a little over 3 hours now

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok ok , i am jealous now "A" i will have to wip something up good and show you the finished product. ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh maybe duck [Big Grin] , but this recipe doesnt look hard for your talents my dear sous chef [Wink]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ironborn
Member # 12020

Oh sh*t.. Scratch that " have you had the pork" question.

I forgot you were a Muslim! [Big Grin]

~EnJoY

--------------------
Lies fade like smoke when uncovered..but Truth, burns like fire.

Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
what's up with the new nick ... you do know it is spelled exactly like a brand of U.H.T Egyptian milk. [Smile]

And juices. Now if that isn't suitable!  -

-

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 10 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by desertgirl:
To Shahrazat: Advice; throw away the calorie chart [Big Grin]

I used to have a summary of "allowed food" (also a bit obsessed about weight [Wink] ) but as Nutella was a no no, I got rid of it!
I cannot survive on 1 bread crumb and half a carrot a day anyway. [Big Grin]

Exiled, please continue... [Smile]

All I do is smelling the jar of Nutella and put it back to the refigirator [Big Grin]
Exiled
Member # 14410

quote:
Originally posted by Dalia*:
quote:
what's up with the new nick ... you do know it is spelled exactly like a brand of U.H.T Egyptian milk. [Smile]

And juices. Now if that isn't suitable!  -

-

This is actually hilarious and very suitable [Big Grin] lol
Exiled
Member # 14410

Check this out my cat loves spices. How do I know this?! She licks the spices from the food I give her first and then she proceeds to eat the food. So, like today for example I put aside the residue chicken (the parts I am not cooking) and I boiled them, but this time i seasoned them for her. I think she especially loves cumin and paprika. [Smile]
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MICKY A:
ok ok , i am jealous now "A" i will have to wip something up good and show you the finished product. ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh maybe duck [Big Grin] , but this recipe doesnt look hard for your talents my dear sous chef [Wink]

ignoring me exiled? [Frown]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
My cat loves spices...

Don't try with pilli pilli. [Wink]

Exiled
Member # 14410

quote:
quote:

ignoring me exiled? [Frown]
I would never ignore you, i am sorry i was being silly here, and that was why i jumped on Dalia's Enjoy advertisement.

So what do you think Micky should i BBQ both legs and thighs or should take the easy way and grill the chicken breast in the oven. I think the food thermometer i have is not BBQ-proof.

Your call babe, tell me what to do. [Smile]

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
bbq them on low flame, then after like 20 mins poke them to make sure there done
all therm. are heat proof

Exiled
Member # 14410

quote:
bbq them on low flame, then after like 20 mins poke them to make sure there done

Should i spread the coal evenly or should i set it aside to one side? And BBQ the chicken on the opposite side?
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
set it to one side or if you have a 2 layer grill put the chicken boobs on the top and the dark meat on the bottom
Exiled
Member # 14410

quote:
set it to one side or if you have a 2 layer grill put the chicken boobs on the top and the dark meat on the bottom

[Smile] Thank you and were you when i was doing 2 hours of BBQ research [Big Grin]

Micky, you see i have an Arabian BBQ and it is very unfriendly, i haven't gotten around to buying a conventional BBQ, and this grill is just shallow and it only about 4 inches deep.

Thank you for helping me out being my chef [Smile]

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
just put the coals to one side then , and find the coolest side , good luck buddy [Razz] let me know how it comes out
Exiled
Member # 14410

quote:
just put the coals to one side then , and find the coolest side , good luck buddy [Razz] let me know how it comes out

Cool, one more thing my dear chef, how long should i cook the breast on each side and how long should i cook a leg and thigh on each side, i know it varies but what is the norm? I just need a guideline [Smile]

Thank you again for helping me out. I was doing youtube, and i was doing e-how and no one could answer my questions - but you do! [Smile]

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
i would cook them on 10 mins. each side , check after 5 mins. so they are not burning, the legs and thighs take longer to cook , maybe 10 more mins. just make sure there is not pink in the middle, stay close to the grill. orrrrrrrrrrrrrrr you can always use aluminum foil for the boobs to keep the juices in.then the last 5 mins put them on the fire for that charcoal taste
Exiled
Member # 14410

quote:
i would cook them on 10 mins. each side , check after 5 mins. so they are not burning, the legs and thighs take longer to cook , maybe 10 more mins. just make sure there is not pink in the middle, stay close to the grill. orrrrrrrrrrrrrrr you can always use aluminum foil for the boobs to keep the juices in.then the last 5 mins put them on the fire for that charcoal taste

it's all going in the BBQ gill [Smile] I don't care and i don't care [Big Grin] the fire has been ignited and it is soo on! on i say, on!!

see you later my chef [Smile]

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
good luck [Wink] and i want to see the results
Exiled
Member # 14410

quote:
good luck [Wink] and i want to see the results

Micky it's all going well, i have the legs and thighs on the BBQ grill outside, the breast are in the oven, i want them done simultaneously and as a precautionary measure as i love my chicken breast nice and juicy.

I am not going ob time, i am going on instinct, [Big Grin] - the smell is fantastic and my dear chef you shall see the results of your student [Smile]

Exiled
Member # 14410

The BBQ legs and thighs tasted absolutely delicious, the chicken breasts tasted great too but the BBQ legs and thighs were out of this world. I feel so full and I just want to go chill and watch a dvd (see below) [Big Grin]

Starting the fire!

-

Ready to enter the grill

-

Delicious jerk chicken

-

Yeah I got connections [Big Grin] – I can watch cinema movies in the luxury of my own home

-

See you guys later, the honey is burning Arabian incense (3oood), I guess I did good today [Big Grin]

Have a lovely evening everyone [Smile]

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
awesome [Wink]
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exiled you HAD to show me this...and when it's VEGETARIAN day here at the Smuckers household?? [Frown]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiled
Member # 14410

quote:
awesome [Wink]

I knew my Chef would be pleased [Wink]
Exiled
Member # 14410

quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
Exiled you HAD to show me this...and when it's VEGETARIAN day here at the Smuckers household?? [Frown]

My apologies Smuckers, if it’s any consolation the Indiana Jones movie sucked [Big Grin] It’s cool of you to incorporate a veggie day into your diet.
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're trying to go healthier, believe me, I'm craving the meat!! [Big Grin]
My mother said the same about the movie, my uncle too. They said Harrison Ford is just too old for this sort of thing. [Wink]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com