Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » mexican food - smuckers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: mexican food - smuckers
Dawn-Bev*
Member # 15190

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn-Bev*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi smucks, I know you have mexican heritage -

Sam has to prepare and cook 2 mexican dishes for his Food Technology exams next Tuesday -

I have to trail to the shops tomorrow to get some ingredients - I dont normally have chillies in my kitchen

this may be a silly question but do egyptian kids have to do Food technology classes in school, esp boys; or is assumed that all the girls will be taught everthing they need to know at home and its not for boys?

thanks

Posts: 712 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
smucks you have Mexican heritage?
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Ladies. Yes Micky, Dawn is correct, my mother is Mexican-American, my father is German-American (mom born in the states, father was not). So we are quite a mixed crew. [Big Grin]

Dawn, I never heard of the Egyptain kids having to do that here, but I don't know a lot about the children in schools and the different things they take.
Did you need some help with a couple of pretty easy dishes for him?

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn-Bev*
Member # 15190

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn-Bev*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
his teacher gave them 2 recipes to do -
he has to do a Mexican Casserole with chorizo, mixed beans, chilli, cumin, peppers, coriander and cheese
and
then a mexican curry with
tortilla, greek yoghurt, cumin seeds, paprika, curry powder, turmeric, chicken, bail, cream and lime juice

I dont know if this is authentically mexican or not - sounds a little bit of everything to me!

he enjoys cooking and baking but if the food survives the bus journey home then usually my parents have eaten it all before Ive got home from work!

Posts: 712 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohhh wow the Chorizo should be really great, I would eat that up myself if it was beef and not pork. [Big Grin]

I am from Texas so we do a sort of combination Mexican Food called TEX-MEX. Never used Curry or Tumeric (that all sounds a bit Indian) but Mexican food is loaded with Cumin, chilis, limes and cheese galore. I'm sure it will have a nice taste. Let me know how he does, and the secret to Mexican food is that the meat (no matter what it is) should be VERY tender. The secret is to cook it with a little vinegar, makes any sort of meat nice and tender, but if the recipe doesn't call for that he might want to avoid it. [Big Grin]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn-Bev*
Member # 15190

Rate Member
well, Ive got 2 limes on my kitchen but not else that he needs!

better go shopping tomorrow for the lot

tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i cook alot of mexican food if ya want some recipes im me!

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn-Bev*
Member # 15190

Rate Member
I heard that you put chocolate in sauces for the chicken stews etc, is this right?
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Yes, it is not unusual to use chocolate, moreso like a powdered chocolate...we do it a lot for chilis or sauces. You would be surprised but it actually makes for a nice flavor. [Wink]
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for chili sauce i use 3 or 4 tomatoes and 3 chilis so its not so hot.
and 1 piece of garlic i boil them until the jalapinos and tomatoes are soft and then i strain almost all the rest of the water i save a little and add all of it in a blender and blend it with a little salt and some mexican liquid seasoning!!!
its really good

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn-Bev*
Member # 15190

Rate Member
Sam's mexican cooking exams went well - he enjoyed doing it and it tasted pretty good, mind you there wasnt much left as some of his classmates had tasted it and they liked it!

He was disappointed with his grade though, he only got a 'C'

[Frown]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com