Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Stuffed Calamari

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stuffed Calamari
Exiled
Member # 14410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a mediterranean dish, Italian to be exact. Here is a link with instructions on how to cook it:

http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipe.cgi?r=41994

The Calamari turned out much smaller after I boiled it. This dish wasn’t easy at all because after stuffing them I BBQ them on the grill and was thinking they would turn brownish, well you know BBQ color but they didn’t and as a result of prolonging them on the grill they came out a little chewy. This is something that you don’t want because it takes away from the pleasure of eating calmari. But it nevertheless tasted delicious and I plan to make this again. The stuffing was also very delicious and a surprise in itself.

Ingredients: Calamari, bread crumbs, green onions, sun dried tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, parsley and fresh tomatoes.

-

Ready to stuff the cooked calamari

-

The salad consisted of peppers and the small lettuce (don’t recall name), anyway those are all peppers of different colors (yellow, white, green, red and even purple). I also opted to garnish the calamari with tomatoe sauce rather than the freshly diced tomatoes the recipe called for.

-

Posts: 2418 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds great, are you cooking this yourself? [Smile]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiled
Member # 14410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cooked it already (and yes alone [Razz] ), and it was a little difficult, the BBQ part was difficult because I have the regular Arabian BBQ and with those you have no control over anything. If you are going to cook this dish, be careful with the calamari.

To the best of my knowledge – calamari should be cooked between 2-3 minutes maximum or for more than 40 minutes (in boiling water) . I cooked it for 1 hour (followed the recipe). Then I grilled it on the BBQ for longer than I should have and it came out a little chewy.

The stuffing was great though, the sundried tomatoes gave a unique taste (to me at least) and it was very pleasant.

I know in Egypt most people deep fry their calamari, that's not my style, this is a nice dish, just cook a lot of it because the calamari turns out real small after boiling, 2 per person would be ideal [Smile]

Posts: 2418 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds delicious, I haven't had calamari in years, really puts a taste in my mouth for it. [Wink]
I'm going to save this recipe - thanks for it. [Smile]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com