Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » coconut and lime prawns

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: coconut and lime prawns
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet but savory coconut and lime sauce tops prawns. Jumbo shrimp are often referred to as prawns in the US, however, this recipe will work for any shrimp-like creature, no matter the term.This goes together quickly.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients:

* 1/4 cup sweet coconut flakes
* 1 Tablespoon peanut or canola oil
* 3/4 pound large prawns, shelled, deveined and butterflied
* 1/2 Tablespoon minced shallots
* 1/2 Tablespoon minced garlic
* 1-1/2 ounces lime juice
* 1-1/2 ounces rice wine vinegar
* 1-1/2 ounces sake or dry white wine
* 1-1/2 ounces Coco Lopez or coconut cream
* 1/8 cup chopped green onion
* 1/8 cup chopped cilantro
* 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
* 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
* 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
* Salt and pepper to taste
* Lime slices and/or green onion flowers for garnish

Preparation:
Toast coconut flakes in a 350-degree F oven until light golden brown. Remove and set aside.

Heat the oil in a saute pan over medium heat. When the oil is hot enough to make a piece of shallot dance around in the pan, carefully add the prawns and cook them for about two minutes or until they are three-quarters of the way cooked. Quickly remove the prawns from the pan and reserve them on a plate.

Add the shallots to the saute pan. Cook until opaque, then add the garlic and the acidic liquids (lime juice, vinegar, and wine). Reduce the mixture by half and add the coconut cream. Stir around, add the prawns, green onion, cilantro, vanilla, and sesame oil and cook the shrimp all the way through. Season with salt, pepper, and (if desired) red pepper flakes. If there is not enough sauce, add one ounce of water to the pan before serving and re-season).

Serve with your favorite type of steamed rice, garnish with toasted coconut, lime slices, and green onion flowers.

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiled
Member # 14410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are soooo quick and thank you [Smile] I will cook this recipe this Thursday evening for dinner, being the weekend and all [Big Grin] Shrimps are aphrodisiacs aren’t they [Razz] and I will serve it as recommended with steamed rice, and toasted coconut ( how do I toast them? On the skillet?)
Posts: 2418 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiled
Member # 14410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nevermind my ignorance Micky, i read the directions throughly and i know how to toast the coconut [Big Grin]
Posts: 2418 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
in the oven or a skillet. just by themselves , no oil or nothing . be careful it burns quick. so watch it.375o for like 5 mins. or in the skillet on medium turn the coconut turns brown

you beat me to it [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiled
Member # 14410

quote:
Originally posted by MICKY A:
in the oven or a skillet. just by themselves , no oil or nothing . be careful it burns quick. so watch it.375o for like 5 mins. or in the skillet on medium turn the coconut turns brown

thanks, and i will be careful [Wink] - look forward to this meal, you know me too well, coconut and shrimps just turn me onnnnnnnnnn [Big Grin]

[Razz]

cbrbddd
Member # 3891

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbrbddd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmm, I must be from another country because I thought that we always called them SHRIMP no matter what the size. Love those JUMBO shrimp from the Gulf . . . ya know, the one in the south . . .Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas have lots of "shrimpers" down here.

But being the anal person that I am regarding "words", I had to go google "shrimp vs prawn" . . . seems there is universal confusion, hehe . . . depending on what part of the world you live in.

http://www.calorie-count.com/forums/post/78077.html

http://museumvictoria.com.au/crust/caribiol.html

So no matter what you call them, enjoy!!!

Posts: 895 | From: NorthTexas, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohhh dear lord I've died and gone to heaven, these sound GREAT!
So, in Texas we call them Shrimp, but they're the jumbo types? [Confused]
(btw, thank you Micky for not posting a picture, I honestly don't think I could have handled it~)
[Big Grin]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i love the fried butterfly shrimp!!!

-

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiled
Member # 14410

Micky, don't want to disappoint you but i'll cook your recipe either tomorrow or after, i'm lounging tonight [Wink]

Yeah i need to get out.

Momma_Dukes
Member # 14252

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Momma_Dukes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the sauce recipe!!! i bought a box of coconut shrimp with lime and mango sauce at aldis and they are sooooo good. now i can make them me self! [Smile]
Posts: 2757 | From: YOU CAN ONLY SEE WHAT I CHOOSE TO SHOW, THERE IS SO MUCH MORE YOU JUST DONT KNOW | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com