Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Paging Micky!! Ceviche recipe/tips??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Paging Micky!! Ceviche recipe/tips??
cbrbddd
Member # 3891

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbrbddd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just curious to see if you have made ceviche.

Now that I have made the mango-pineapple salsa with lime juice, yum!!! I have had the idea of ceviche spring into my brain. I am not a sushi fan but I had ceviche in Mexico . . . so I thought "why not try it?".

I bought some tilapia for the corn chowder recipe that I found. Then thought . . . maybe it is a perfect time to take a little bit of that to experiment.

Use lime or lemon (or both) to marinate the fish, then it is just a choice of jalapeno, onions, green pepper or whatever.

Got any helpful hints??

Posts: 895 | From: NorthTexas, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
use lime sweety...and crab
my friend makes tht all the time yucky for me.....i hate lime and lemon in the same food... i love lemon rinds with salt though hehehe im weird..

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mexican Ceviche

(30) RATE IT NOW Print Recipe

This dish is a regular served on the beaches of Mexico. Serve it as a seafood appetizer or as a side salad dish. You can alter it to suit your own taste. Make it as spicy or as mild as you wish. My friends all love it. I often use shrimp & fish or shrimp & scallops - when I do this I do not marinate the shrimp as the shrimp tend to get tough . I steam the shrimp and add them a few hours before serving as I mix all the ingredients together. In Mexico when they make this they often add sea water (not recommended). If you are using frozen fish choose a firm fleshed one and make sure that if is fully thawed with as much moisture as possible removed.

SERVES 4 -6 (change servings and units)
Ingredients

* 1 lb halibut fillet or sea bass fillet or red snapper fillet (or use a mixture of fish and shrimp)
* 5-6 limes (Enough Juice to cover fish)
* 1 cup diced fresh tomato
* 1 green pepper, sweet, chopped
* 4 tablespoons chopped parsley or chopped cilantro
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon oregano
* 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped (or more to suit your taste)
* 2 tablespoons white vinegar
* 1 medium onion, finely chopped
* 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
* 1 dash Tabasco sauce
* lettuce leaf (to line serving bowls)
* avocado (optional)
* black olive, sliced (for garnish) (optional)

Directions

Dice the fish (approximately 1/2-inch dice if using shrimp use cleaned shrimp).
Marinate fish in the lime juice in the fridge overnight (this step cooks the fish).
Stir often.
Pour off most of the lime juice (just leave it moist).
Add remaining ingredients except lettuce, avocado and olive. Do this preferably a few hours before serving & refrigerate.
Toss well and arrange in individual serving bowls that are lined with the lettuce leaves.
If you wish garnish with sliced avocado and sliced black olives.

[Razz] [Razz]

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cbrbddd
Member # 3891

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbrbddd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol . . . ok, i guess that means no "helpful hints" . . . I've been looking a several recipes from different countries. Some use all different kind of fish/shell fish/whatever . . . including squid, hehe. Some marinate for 45 minutes to 1 hour . . . or overnight . . . but someone says overnight will make certain fish mushy! OK, i'll take one piece and put some lime juice on it . . . then see what happens! I can always cook it with some feta cheese if I don't like it, hehe.

I think I will use lime only . . . I have a few around the house now. I love lime flavors.

I'll save all the lemon for the hummous and baba ghanouj.

I saw another recipe that added mango, lololol, the best of both worlds.

Oh, Tina, the crab sounds like a great idea, but I don't have any . . . not so easy to get fresh crab around here . . . or maybe it is and I just haven't looked.

Posts: 895 | From: NorthTexas, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dont yall have that imitation crab??
thats what they use here at our store if there is no fresh crab...when my friend gets off work i can ask him for a recipe hes from mexico...

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
USE ALL lime juice, sorry [Frown]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cbrbddd
Member # 3891

Rate Member
lol, that's what I did on my test piece . . . it is marinating now . . . maybe I'll put some pineapple with it.

Oh, imitation crab . . . yes, I am sure if I had looked at the grocery store it would have been right under my nose when I looked over the fish. . . just not at my house right now. A thought for future attempts.

--------------------
I fell in to a burning ring of fire . . .

tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
hahahahahaha
wat part of texas are u from??
do u have the fiesta store where u live or ponchos mexican buffet

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

cbrbddd
Member # 3891

Rate Member
I live in Dallas.

I am sure that I drive pass several Fiesta/Carnival stores at some point but I never stop for some reason. Ponchos is not too far away, but I haven't been there in a long time . . . trying not to go to buffets anymore, but they used to have great sopapillas!!!

--------------------

tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
i loved their food me and mmy dad went when i visited him in houston a few yrs ago before he died.....
i loved it cas i had my dad all to myself,,,
i liked buying texas tshirts outside of the fiesta store they were like 3 or 4 for 10$ really pretty texas logos and maps.. and the funny thing about texas is u have drive up water refills that was weird//// here we get our refills at the grocery store there in huston it was a blue like atm looking thing u can pay money and refill ur water gallons was cool though....

--------------------

cbrbddd
Member # 3891

Rate Member
Well, my test piece of tilapia turned out fine after soaking in the lime juice all night. I checked it before I went to bed then when I got up this morning. Tasted fine, texture is fine . . . so now I can make up more with the other ingredients.

Or maybe just throw it together with the pineapple-mango salsa as I made more of that last night . . . lime in both of them . . plus some cucumber and green/red peppers, which should round it out nicely.

Considering my penchant for salty, sweet and tart . . . this will satisfy all of them in one dish.

And my quest for the ingredients of a red curry paste led me to this website:
http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/index.asp

Bon appetit!

--------------------

tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
i applaude u for trying somethin so foul... i hate ceveche hehehehe the only fish i eat is long johns hehehehe
i love peopeys though...and jack in the box and churches mmmmmmmmmmm
im gettin hungry....

--------------------

cbrbddd
Member # 3891

Rate Member
Actually, it isn't so "foul", lol, the lime juice rather permeates the fish so the flavor is more "limey" than "fishy" . . . and once you add the other flavorings, I think that is the taste that you will notice.

I have to admit I do have a weakness for long john silvers . . . fish and more with lots of vinegar and salt!!! A heartattack waiting to happen . . . [Frown] . . . so I can't have it too often. Love those hushpuppies!!!

tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
ooooo yea i had some yesterday 12 for 179 hehehehe im guilty and ya know cheviche is raw fish right yuck.....
i tried some texas huspuppies and i cant get them cooked like long johns.... ewwwwwwwww
i want their recipe
hell for get that micky make us some puppies....... plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
something i dearly miss from texas is my family... my uncle live in nome texas and the rest is in huston and galveston and matagorda...
and the barbque ooooooooooooooo i miss so much houston has a kick ass zoooo... sorry off topic...

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com