Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » DO YOU LIKE EATING PILAF AS I DO?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: DO YOU LIKE EATING PILAF AS I DO?
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 10 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are some recipes [Wink]

Pilaf with Lamb

2 lamb shanks
1 cup rice
4-5 fresh green onions, cut into little pieces
2 medium size tomatoes, diced
Salt, pepper
30 ml. butter, diced

-

First, place lamb shanks in a medium sized pot. Cover with water and cook on medium-high for 35-40 minutes. When finished, separate the meat, discard the bones, strain and put aside the remaining stock for use later.

Place washed, uncooked rice in a large skillet (not a pot). Put the lamb pieces between the rice equally. Put tomatoes, green onions, butter, salt and pepper as well around the lamb. Then, take the stock from before and pour it over. The stock should be 1 3/4 cups, if not, you can add water. Keep the lid half covered and cook on medium-low heat for approximately 20-25 minutes until the rice is cooked (water should be completely absorbed).
Suggested serving: With Shepherd's Salad.

Pilaf with Almonds

1 cup rice, washed and drained
2 cups water
1 tbsp butter
1/2 cup bleached almonds
1 tsp salt

-

Roast the almonds in a medium-sized pot until they're light brown. Put aside.

Pour the water in a medium sized pot along with salt and butter. When it starts boiling, add the rice. Cook on low heat with the lid half covered until the water has evaporated. Then add roasted almonds and stir. Serve while still warm.

Bulgur Pilaf with Roasted Vegetables

Pilaf:
1 cup bulgur, large grain, washed and drained
1 medium size onion, cut in small pieces
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp red pepper paste
1 3/4 cup hot water
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1 tsp cumin
Salt, Pepper

Vegetables:
1 zucchini, washed, cut in half lengthwise
1 small Japanese eggplant, washed, cut in half lengthwise
3-4 garlic cloves, do not peel
1 red pepper, washed, cut in half, discard the seeds
1 cubanelle pepper, washed, cut in half, discard the seeds
8-10 small mushrooms, brushed
1 onion, peeled, cut in 8
1 tomato, washed, cut in 4
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Salt, Pepper

-

Set the oven to broil (grill), and heat it up or use the barbecue. Arrange all the vegetables on an oven tray. Roast them on the second rack from the top in the oven. Check often as some will be roasted earlier. Peel the garlic, tomato, red and green peppers. Cut them all in bite sizes. Sprinkle salt and pepper and drizzle extra virgin olive oil all over them. Gently mix with a fork (picture).

Meanwhile to cook the pilaf: Saute the onion with olive oil for a few minutes. Add all the pilaf ingredients and stir. Cook over low heat with the lid on.

Gently toss all the roasted vegetables with the cooked pilaf using a fork. Serve it hot or warm.

AND SHEPHERD'S SALAD

1/2 cup cucumber, diced
2 tomatoes, diced
1 cubanelle pepper
1/2 red onion, sliced
1/4 cup fresh mint
2 tsp lemon juice
2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
50 ml feta cheese, crumbled
Salt, Pepper

-

Place all the vegetables in a medium size salad bowl. Add salt and pepper to liking. Add the feta, lemon juice and olive oil. Don't add any other dressings.

Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Millas
Member # 15374

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Millas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I love, especially if my wife cook it.I can't give up eating pilaf in every meal [Razz]
Posts: 186 | From: Eurasia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com