Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Hi (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Hi
Exiled
Member # 14410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope my pals on ES are doing well, my journey began few days ago and i am presently in Sanaa. I chose this free stopover to Africa rather than Cairo because it was cheaper and more intertesting.

So far so good. I posted this here in order to post some pics, but later, for now i am going pharmacy to pharmacy looking for Immune Serum Globulin (immediate protection from Hep A). It was too costly in the Hashemite kingdom, but elsewhere it is pretty cheap like $20-$30.

Anyway - take care and be good and the next destination is Ethiopia. I can only say that i am living in a different time era now, defintely one before i was born.

Check this out like a block away from Bab-al-Yemen there is a big screen monitor and there was a crowd of men last night and i do mean a big crowd. You know why they were standing there?

Tp watch the olympics: NO! To catch glimpse of a sexy french commerical, sexy women that is [Big Grin]

LOL

peace - see you later.

Posts: 2418 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i love yr pics.. cant wait to see some..
and have a good and safe trip///

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sanaa??? It's my dream to go there Exile, have fun [Smile]

I scheduled it for the autumn but may be another more interesting idea [Wink]

Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Habeeby
Member # 14429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Habeeby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exiled have a good and safe trip my friend [Smile]
Hurry back i am missing your food threads, you not only cook well but the journey from the purchase of the ingredients to the production of the meal is always interesting [Wink]

Posts: 1797 | From: By my husband's side | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiled
Member # 14410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone,

I will reply to tina, shah and habeeby in this thread as the internet here is very slow to say the least. Currently I am in Addis Ababa but more on that after I reply to the ladies:

Tina: I’m glad you like my pics but it seems that I won’t be able to post them until I return home. I did not bring my laptop which has photoshop to resize the pics and even if I did I don’t think I would be able to upload them with the slow speed of the internet here. I am trying to remain safe but unfortunately the climate difference here was too much for me and I caught a bug. I am feeling much better and despite having had an itchy throat and feeling hot and cold I still went out every day. My wife will be joining me in a few days and think that will further increase my morale.

Shah: If you visit Yemen, you will have an amazing time. I simply stayed in Sanaa for my stopover but I mentioned in a previous thread that I visited yemen for a few months, several years ago. The capital pretty much remains the same but there were visible improvements such as modern taxis. There is a flat fee of 2000YR($10) from the airport to downtown or old Sanaa. I mentioned Shaibani restaurant to you well they have several branches now and not simply 2. Wonderful food!!!!!!! I ate a BBQ fresh fish for breakfast at around 6:30am [Big Grin] one day, the guy gutted the fresh fish for me right then and there.

The people in Yemen are amazingly nice and their culture is visible in their attire and behavior. I have great shots of Old Sanaa. I actually was taken aback by it all, just simply awesome. They say pictures speak a thousand words and in this case they did as I took a few hundred there. The kindness shown to me was beautiful, I was just doing my thing walking and just enjoying it all. Taking pictures left and right with people saying ‘sewarnee’. It was awesome, the women were reserved I mean even this little girl who walked like ½ a block just talking to me and I asked her could I take your picture and she was like “la’a” (no) the boys and men though were like take pictures of us.

I met several other foreigners there and the ones visiting were dressed western conservative but the European women living there (studying Arabic) were dressed pretty much like arab women, all though you can spot them a mile away. It was really great and the new Mosque that was supposed to be completed a year ago but construction is still going on the compound looks to be beautiful and grand. It was a different time era for me and when I was looking for ISG to no avail, a doctor in a hospital went out of his way to help me.

I just want to state that I appreciate it so much when people want my company not for ulterior motives such as money or whatever but simply for my company. Yemen offered that: it was beautiful. If you go just be prepared that it is a poor country and it shows everywhere.

Habeeby-Habeeby my Habeeby [Smile] – so you miss my cooking – typical of women – where they show appreciation [Razz] when men aren’t around [Razz] it will be my pleasure to cook again for ES. Take care girl

---------------------------------

I mentioned earlier I am currently in addis, it is such a pleasure meeting people during my journey. Yesterday I was invited to a coffee ceremony at an Ethiopian home. I met these kind people at one of the traditional Habesha restaurants where they serve dinner, drinks and a traditional dance show ensues. People here are wonderful and kind, even though it appears that a few rastas in my neighborhood want to see me weed. These are rastas from the Shamshadee community in South Ethiopia. They migrated here during Hallie Selasie years (he actually invited them) and speaking of Rastas, I danced all night Friday night to live reggae by a real Jamaican band. It was awesome it’s been more than a year since I danced all night. I loved it. I mean I danced and danced and danced and when it comes to reggae I really get into it [Smile] Even more so than hip hop and rnB – I just feel love for me and everyone else dancing to live bob Marley songs.

So I am most definitely chilling and it will only get better when my sweetheart arrives from Cairo. Traveling to Bahar Dar and North Ethiopia will take more planning. The rainy season here literally means torrential downpours that occur two times a day, the rest of the day it either drizzles or sunny. Without a doubt the weather here is crazy and my only concern is the roads as they can get muddy. I will see and we might just bypass the north and simply head south where it is sunny and dry. I really don’t care I am loving it here in addis, they are actually celebrating now in the streets: bekele just won a gold medal and the car horns are honking in similar fashion to a victory for Egypt’s Ahly or national team in Cairo.

I have only begun taking pictures around Addis, a short while ago I took some scenic ones from the Zebra Grill on the 9th floor off of Bole Road (pronounced Ball-lee). And here is a little info about Ethiopia. It is 7:18pm western time in Ethiopia (same time zone as Cairo) but the time here is 1:18pm. You see 6pm and 6am are 12 o’clock and then 7 o’clock is 1 o’clock and so on and so 9 o’clock would be 3 o’clock. And it is year 2000 in Ethiopia they celebrated the millennium last September [Big Grin] - I think Beyonce, ludicrous were here as well as Akon.

Don’t you just love different cultures [Smile]

Well I am feeling much better but I am lonely at night when I am in my hotel room but this will soon be remedied. I could go on an on sharing things, one pic 1 want to take is of a yellow kiosk on Meskel Flower Road that are selling Obama shirts and memorabilia. Yeah they love him here and hopefully he will become the next president of America.

I’ll see you guys around

Posts: 2418 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
awee i am so glad she will be joining u .. now u cane be cared after correctly lol..
i am glad yr feeling better and cant wait for yr return...
have a safe trip

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yemen,and it capital city,Sanaa...whoaaaaa!!Thats what i call exotic and interesting to read travel narrative.
Waiting here for your pics and info of the city,Exiled!
[Cool]

Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiled
Member # 14410

The internet here is killing me!

Tina: Thanks and you sure are sweet, well to me at least [Smile] have a lovely day

Sash: I will try to upload a few from here, if i can find a decent internet cafe with quality broadband, but if not then i'll post tons of pics when i return home [Smile] Have a wonderful day [Smile]

take care everyone

Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Desertgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, we'll wait for the pics [Smile] . Have a nice time!
Posts: 2932 | From: Just now and then | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i miss ya to my friend, be safe and well [Wink]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cbrbddd
Member # 3891

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbrbddd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a wonderful adventure . . . I am also waiting for the photos!

Stay well and safe, exiled and Mrs. Exiled.

--------------------
I fell in to a burning ring of fire . . .

Posts: 895 | From: NorthTexas, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Habeeby
Member # 14429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Habeeby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahhhhh Exiled i am so jealouse of your adventure, wish i could be your eyes at this time [Wink] I am happy that your wife will join you soon it is much better to share these experiences with the one you love and by the sound of things you need a woman to keep you under control [Razz] Enjoy your trip Mr and Mrs Exiled and stay safe lovebirds [Wink] Now get busy with that camera - YALLA!!!!!!
Posts: 1797 | From: By my husband's side | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lumos
Member # 14589

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Lumos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your travels sound like a lot of fun, Exiled. Ethiopia sounds amazing and I too would like to see photographs of the journey. Good luck on your adventure.
Posts: 1157 | From: Censor - Edit - Delete, but you will never take away my FREEDOM! | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiled
Member # 14410

Thanks everyone.

I can happily say that I am close to 100% health wise. Yesterday I visited Mercato (supposedly the largest souq/market in Africa). It was completely different than what I had expected. I was expecting a bazzar of some sorts. What I saw was a market that sold everything from metal scraps, to some odd looking wood chips. The people there are mostly muslim judging by their kofis, beards, women’s dress and all the crescents and stars painted above butcher shops. To my surprise they were not as friendly as Ethiopians in central Addis Ababa. I mean I simply sensed it and maybe I was wrong but I did feel just for a few minutes uncomfortable. Maybe I should have worn my kofi [Big Grin] and maybe it would have helped matters if I didn’t shave. Please don’t get me wrong because what I am referring to were ‘stares’ from 20 something year old men. I cut my travel short because I assume their must me a better entry point than the crazily crowded and pushy entry I went through. I went there by minibus (usual fare is about .9 cents/9 pennies [Big Grin] for the entire route of a minibus). It was very crowded, polluted, hectic, pushy and not touristy one bit hence I loved it [Big Grin] I did not see another traveler the entire time. I was thinking to myself I will keep walking to find a scene worth taking a pic of for you guys. I walked and walked and the scenes disintegrated into more alleys of commerce that weren’t interesting. I did however snap several pics of the activity but literally for blocks and blocks I was in an area where they sold bulk oil, water, rice etc. I think it is also the wholesale district of Addis Ababa, I will however make another visit and explore it again and see if I can enjoy sights of some exotic products like maybe Ethiopian artifacts. I could have hired a guide but to me that seems burdensome and in a way just takes a little bit from the moment. This is of course my opinion.

The most wonderful aspect of traveling is meeting different people and left and right I continue to meet such people from all walks of life. I met a fellow American yesterday who works for UNHCR up north near the Eriterian/Sudan border. He was funny I comically albeit sarcastically said “isn’t great to get away from the high-speed internet, ipods and flashiness of the west ” [Big Grin] He laughed and said ‘those things sound great to me right now” [Big Grin] Anyhow he gave me his card and extended an invitation to his home, one he said he labored arduously to make comfortable like the one back home. I am sharing the kindness of people here and it seems that westerners are so much friendlier to each other when we are far away from home.

Something else I want to share, it seems like western couples are adopting Ethiopian kids, I have seen them in a few restaurants. What I observed was some couples actually adopted the kids and I am guessing because the children in this case seem dressed in western fashion and pretty much looked like any other western kids, they also seemed for bonded. Then there are some couples with scruffy looking kids and I am thinking these are children still living in the orphanage and are simply out with the western couple for maybe: a getting to know each other better process.

Today I will head out to Piassa, this was center for the Italian community during their occupation of Ethiopia. I had the most wonderful macchiato this morning, actually 2 for a total price of .50 cents. Coffee here or bunna as it’s called is everywhere. Some cafes, like Evians, Raizels, Tomaca, Kaldi’s are just as nice and posh as anywhere in the world but with drinks all costing less than $1 and sometimes as little as .10 cents. This makes me wonder *how on earth do they make a profit*.

I better get going it is sunny right now and I should take advantage of it before a downpour begins.

Bye

tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
damn i love reading yr adventures...it keeps me open minded like i am acturaly there.. u should write a book...most of the posts here on es are long posts do not capture my attention.. i just bypass them.. but yr writting is exciting like i wish i was there with u at a certain time and moment...and as for the pics u say u did not wanna show us the filth.. well we do wanna see that cas its a part of what yr experienciung.somethin we dont see in usa u know that.. when u think no i wont take a pic of that take one any ways.. cas it might be somethin someone woul;d enjoy looking at....
anyways when u write yr first book will u send me a copy signed plz.. and never forget all of us here on es knew ya first and read ur writtings first..
in other words i really enjoyed yr expressions and thoughts today.. and it should get more exciting when ur wifey gets there...
with peace out

tina...
and have a safe fun trip...i love traveling..

--------------------

EgyptianLiving_Com
Member # 15630

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for EgyptianLiving_Com   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
did you chew any Qaat whilst in yemen?

--------------------
www.egyptianliving.com

Posts: 77 | From: www.egyptianliving.com | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiled
Member # 14410

Tina: I try to relay what I see and experience and I am happy that you enjoy reading my ES online journal of my travels. I think you misunderstood me when I mentioned the re-size problem. I did not mean censorship of filth and whatnot because here it is apparent. The problem I have is resizing the pics and even if I did uploading them would be a problem because opening up a simply yahoo page sometimes takes minutes alone. We always hear about poverty and to me personally I have always associated this term with hunger. Hunger is a fact here because some kids will come up to and say the only word they know ‘hungggggry’/’I hunnnnngry’ maybe they were coached but there is no denying that this is real. When someone begs and uses the word ‘bread’ while stretching an open hand, one can not deny what is apparent and what further validates it is seeing the gratitude when they are given 1 birr (approximately .10 cents). So hunger does in fact exist here but it is nowhere near visible as the illnesses that I have witnessed walking street after street. Poverty on this scale is overwhelming and again very visible, I have not tried to photograph such misery. I could not do it and the only pic I took in this regard was of a man who was practically all bones, he laid covered on the pavement, his face, torso and thigh were covered but his mid section, Including his hips were visible. This sight was one of death lingering.

EL: I did not chew qat this time around in Sanaa, I am wary of the chemical they spray they spray the plants with. I however have chewed qat previously in Yemen when I studied Arabic and calligraphy there and I have certainly ‘keyifet’ or reached ‘mirkana’ as the Ethiopians would say here. In my honest opinion qat or chat as they call it here in Ethiopia is better than the types in Yemen. This is my opinion of course. I will briefly describe what qat/chat is to ES member:

Chat/Qat are leave on sprigs and you basically chew on the leaves for few/several hours, this is practiced by nearly all males in Yemen and many males and females in Ethiopia. It is also practiced in Kenya and Djebouti. The pics I will insha allah post of Sanaa will make the point clear of the magnitude of qat in Sanaa. You basically chew these leaves with people and you become more chatty and if alone you become isolated. You reach a state know as ‘keyef/mirkana’ which I can best describe as a utopian feeling. You simply feel real good, alert and completely sane despite the classification you might read that state otherwise. The only problem with it is afterwards, like after you chew and take out the chewed grinded leaves from the side of you cheek. Afterwards you become focused on what your mind is on so if you are into studies you can literally study until day break with great focus. If your mind is one something else well your ambitions will be magnified towards that goal.

I have eaten dinner once again at the Zebra Grill, and the food was pretty much awful again [Big Grin] But the views are magnificent as you can see all of Addis surrounded by Entoto Mountains. I mentioned how kind and inviting westerners are here and while waiting for my ribs, a French teacher simply came over and asked me if I was part of the teachers group that were to meet. I told her now; I wasn’t and asked her to ask the waitress. She came back few minutes later and told me she was too early by twenty minutes and invited her self to sit next to me. When I came to the Zebra Grill the place was practically empty but many tables hade a *reserve* sign on them. I wanted to be seated near the panoramic windows to take in the night sights of addis. Long story short I was accommodated as I told them I would finish my meal in 30 minutes max before the place is full. So here I am chatting with this French woman who has been teaching for 2 years but has only arrived today for her third year. I offered her a drink and began a nice conversation, and she recommended several places and one place in particular called *le badu lew* or something like that in kzanchis. Some French place which had a nice balanced clientèle. So I might head out there tonight to ease the lonely evening pass by. Don’t matter though as my loneliness will end before the sun rises tomorrow. I have come to accept the fact that I am approachable and I am happy that kind people are approaching me for no other reason than to say hi. This is a reprieve because traveling through poor countries you are approached all the time but by people who want something from you. Actually I don’t mind it but it becomes stressful when it happens again and again and sometimes I just like to walk alone and be left alone and it takes it's toll. Yes there are truly decent people who want to know where you are from and that they want to practice their English with you and all that and I have no problem with that. But we all have our moods and our times, so having my wife next to me will lessen this aspect of travel.

Traveling alone from hotel to hotel and so on is rewarding but at the end of the day when the sights have been seen and the food eaten, there are several hours before bed and it is hard, especially for me because no matter what there is always 2 options, well actually 3

1- Go online on such a slow connection and chat with wifey

2- Watch DVDs from my portable DVD player or maybe satellite TV

3- Go out to night spots

# 1 is okay, but it can become tiring sitting in an internet café, #2 is okay but then it becomes boring #3, I actually like but it sometimes aggravates the situation because you see couples and groups smiling and having a good time and for me to be that way, I need to seriously drink a lot of beer which has repercussions the following morning because I wake up like noon, and just basically become so lazy.

So YES I miss my girl, I miss her to death, I miss her company and I miss each and every word that comes out of her mouth. Don’t get me wrong I will have fun tonight; I already had three kool-aids so I am relaxed and very sociable in a city and country that is pretty dark at night. Nothing and I do mean nothing compares with companionship, hopefully when she arrives we’ll make our way out of addis. I have already scheduled an Addis Ababa bus tour for us on a double-decker with open top, so she can see what I saw even if not to the degree that I have.

You guys be good, I am chilling, relaxing, keeping safe and enjoying our beautiful world with beautiful people of all colors and languages.

Peace

tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
wow seems like u have contraversies with yrself being alone.. when will yr wife get there???
hopefully soon so u dont go insane alone... and if u have a prob resizing pics email them to me and i will resize them and add them here for u np....
and i cant even begin to emagine seeing people so skinny and not enough food.... u dont see thata where i live everyone has a place to stay here.. and food etc... when americans say im starving i laugh cas they dont know what starving is until u have been to a country where there is not enough food...and once again great post keep us intriged and post everyday... thanks alot ..
i hate reading people blogs cas i dont wanna read that much but with yrs its different u acturally make me feel like im there experiencing it with ya.. its kinda weird.. thanks for that...and thats thr first time i have ever read somethin from someone and felt that way.. lets just say u have a great way with words.....
i dont mean there with ya like im pickin up on ya...i mean like i can see all u see thru yr eyes...

--------------------

tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
my friend cant login but she read this topic and said u should be a writer.. see u have exciting skills that make people wanna read what u write...

--------------------

KhrystianA
Member # 13967

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KhrystianA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beautiful writing.You should be a writer.
Posts: 46 | From: Ina Makha | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by KhrystianA:
Beautiful writing.You should be a writer.

i told ya he was good.... i love reading his experiences makes u feel like yr there seeing thru his eyes...u should see his pics they are good too..
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Exiled:
Tina: I try to relay what I see and experience and I am happy that you enjoy reading my ES online journal of my travels. I think you misunderstood me when I mentioned the re-size problem. I did not mean censorship of filth and whatnot because here it is apparent. The problem I have is resizing the pics and even if I did uploading them would be a problem because opening up a simply yahoo page sometimes takes minutes alone. We always hear about poverty and to me personally I have always associated this term with hunger. Hunger is a fact here because some kids will come up to and say the only word they know ‘hungggggry’/’I hunnnnngry’ maybe they were coached but there is no denying that this is real. When someone begs and uses the word ‘bread’ while stretching an open hand, one can not deny what is apparent and what further validates it is seeing the gratitude when they are given 1 birr (approximately .10 cents). So hunger does in fact exist here but it is nowhere near visible as the illnesses that I have witnessed walking street after street. Poverty on this scale is overwhelming and again very visible, I have not tried to photograph such misery. I could not do it and the only pic I took in this regard was of a man who was practically all bones, he laid covered on the pavement, his face, torso and thigh were covered but his mid section, Including his hips were visible. This sight was one of death lingering.

EL: I did not chew qat this time around in Sanaa, I am wary of the chemical they spray they spray the plants with. I however have chewed qat previously in Yemen when I studied Arabic and calligraphy there and I have certainly ‘keyifet’ or reached ‘mirkana’ as the Ethiopians would say here. In my honest opinion qat or chat as they call it here in Ethiopia is better than the types in Yemen. This is my opinion of course. I will briefly describe what qat/chat is to ES member:

Chat/Qat are leave on sprigs and you basically chew on the leaves for few/several hours, this is practiced by nearly all males in Yemen and many males and females in Ethiopia. It is also practiced in Kenya and Djebouti. The pics I will insha allah post of Sanaa will make the point clear of the magnitude of qat in Sanaa. You basically chew these leaves with people and you become more chatty and if alone you become isolated. You reach a state know as ‘keyef/mirkana’ which I can best describe as a utopian feeling. You simply feel real good, alert and completely sane despite the classification you might read that state otherwise. The only problem with it is afterwards, like after you chew and take out the chewed grinded leaves from the side of you cheek. Afterwards you become focused on what your mind is on so if you are into studies you can literally study until day break with great focus. If your mind is one something else well your ambitions will be magnified towards that goal.

I have eaten dinner once again at the Zebra Grill, and the food was pretty much awful again [Big Grin] But the views are magnificent as you can see all of Addis surrounded by Entoto Mountains. I mentioned how kind and inviting westerners are here and while waiting for my ribs, a French teacher simply came over and asked me if I was part of the teachers group that were to meet. I told her now; I wasn’t and asked her to ask the waitress. She came back few minutes later and told me she was too early by twenty minutes and invited her self to sit next to me. When I came to the Zebra Grill the place was practically empty but many tables hade a *reserve* sign on them. I wanted to be seated near the panoramic windows to take in the night sights of addis. Long story short I was accommodated as I told them I would finish my meal in 30 minutes max before the place is full. So here I am chatting with this French woman who has been teaching for 2 years but has only arrived today for her third year. I offered her a drink and began a nice conversation, and she recommended several places and one place in particular called *le badu lew* or something like that in kzanchis. Some French place which had a nice balanced clientèle. So I might head out there tonight to ease the lonely evening pass by. Don’t matter though as my loneliness will end before the sun rises tomorrow. I have come to accept the fact that I am approachable and I am happy that kind people are approaching me for no other reason than to say hi. This is a reprieve because traveling through poor countries you are approached all the time but by people who want something from you. Actually I don’t mind it but it becomes stressful when it happens again and again and sometimes I just like to walk alone and be left alone and it takes it's toll. Yes there are truly decent people who want to know where you are from and that they want to practice their English with you and all that and I have no problem with that. But we all have our moods and our times, so having my wife next to me will lessen this aspect of travel.

Traveling alone from hotel to hotel and so on is rewarding but at the end of the day when the sights have been seen and the food eaten, there are several hours before bed and it is hard, especially for me because no matter what there is always 2 options, well actually 3

1- Go online on such a slow connection and chat with wifey

2- Watch DVDs from my portable DVD player or maybe satellite TV

3- Go out to night spots

# 1 is okay, but it can become tiring sitting in an internet café, #2 is okay but then it becomes boring #3, I actually like but it sometimes aggravates the situation because you see couples and groups smiling and having a good time and for me to be that way, I need to seriously drink a lot of beer which has repercussions the following morning because I wake up like noon, and just basically become so lazy.

So YES I miss my girl, I miss her to death, I miss her company and I miss each and every word that comes out of her mouth. Don’t get me wrong I will have fun tonight; I already had three kool-aids so I am relaxed and very sociable in a city and country that is pretty dark at night. Nothing and I do mean nothing compares with companionship, hopefully when she arrives we’ll make our way out of addis. I have already scheduled an Addis Ababa bus tour for us on a double-decker with open top, so she can see what I saw even if not to the degree that I have.

You guys be good, I am chilling, relaxing, keeping safe and enjoying our beautiful world with beautiful people of all colors and languages.

Peace

i miss you my friend [Frown]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exile I tried to read some parts of your posts and really liked them [Wink] . You know, you feel very lazy to do something while on holiday [Big Grin] I still go on my holiday [Wink]

Today I went to the new hotels area called Kundu in Antalya. Hotels are amazing here. For those who would like to come to Turkey for next year, keep the name Merdon Palace Hotel in your mind please (and start to save money [Big Grin] ) It belongs to an Azari bussinessman and I haven't seen a hotel architecture in my life so far. The website of the hotel isn't ready and will post when the web address later on when it's ready. [Smile]

Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiled
Member # 14410

Hey, [Smile]

I will take you on a photo trip tonight of Sanaa [Smile] An ancient city in a modern world. Sit back and enjoy and please give me time to resize, tinypic 'em and post 'em here.

Fayrowla
Member # 15058

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fayrowla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hurry.......!
Posts: 76 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
wow finally.. we have all been waiting...

--------------------

Fayrowla
Member # 15058

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fayrowla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Tina. Was just reading these threads again and really think that they are the most interesting on here - and I totally endorse what you were saying about Exiled writing a book.....recipes and travel stories....
Posts: 76 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
yes he is very good.. he captures my attention.. and thats hard to do......makes me wanna read more.. but hes been so busy..

--------------------

Fayrowla
Member # 15058

Rate Member
And the internet is so slow in other places - we are so lucky! What time is it there?
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
5pm here

--------------------

Fayrowla
Member # 15058

Rate Member
Its 11.05 at night here in UK...
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
i thought yall were on the same time as egypt??

--------------------

Fayrowla
Member # 15058

Rate Member
No, I think there is one hour difference at the moment, now the clocks have changed...two hours in the summer
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
yes we are either 8 or 7 hrs behind..
its starting to get cold here but not to bad yet...

--------------------

Fayrowla
Member # 15058

Rate Member
Hope your summer has been better than ours! I don't think we've had it yet!! Quite warm tonight, hope it doesn't rain at the weekend, my other half is going up to mend the roof!
Exiled
Member # 14410

I am standing right in front of bab-al-yemen (literally gate/door to yemen). Inside is Old Sanaa and I will walk you through it. Inside is a maze of streets and alleys, very old buildings and most impressive is a great souk, known as souk al milh.

-

I am walking closer to the gate [Smile] , you can see some westerners on top of the bab video caming the action, this place is really a wonderful place and right out of an Indiana Jones movie, it’s just so old and so very real because people live in those buildings. Amazing
 -

Here, I simply turned right and took this pic to let you guys see how the side street looks like. Are you guys noticing the stuffed cheeks? These Yemenis are chewing Qat, yeah it makes you feel kinda nice :-D, not intoxicating in the least. Just a different kind of high – it’s okay.
 -

These guys are selling baharat, Yemeni spices and this spot is just before the gate.

-

I am finally inside the gate, inside Old Sanaa and this is the scene.

-

To be cont’d soon ……

tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
wow looked like a bunch of chimpmunks lol....
very nice pics and alot of people i hope you had a nice time there...is it me or are the buildings in the last pic slanted to the right quite a bit??

Fayrowla
Member # 15058

Rate Member
Lovely, I can sleep easy now, look forward to some more tomorrow....
Exiled
Member # 14410

Tina, you are not the only one who thinks that the buildings there are slightly slanted, i saw some building off of tahreer square and i told the taxi driver, hold up please stop, i need to take a pic of that building. I'll posted it later.

Fayrowla ... sweet dreams and i hope you enjoy the remaining pics 2morrow again sweet dreams, tisbahi ala khair [Smile]

tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
thanks again for sharing yr pics... i also will be waiting.. maybe u will have another story for us too..plz..
ooooooooo by the way did yr wife ever get there??
if so i hope safly..

--------------------

Exiled
Member # 14410

quote:
Originally posted by tina kamal:
thanks again for sharing yr pics... i also will be waiting.. maybe u will have another story for us too..plz..
ooooooooo by the way did yr wife ever get there??
if so i hope safly..

My story Tina , is that I had a wonderful time, and enjoyed my time immensely, my wife is nothing like me, she doesn’t care for travelling or seeing the world. She pretty much thinks traditionally and I love her for that. I love her for keeping me sane [Smile] I love her more than I ever I did and in all honesty and in all fairness and in truth, I do not deserve her. But she was meant for me, and that pretty much sums that up. I wanted to remain in Africa spend Ramadan there; she did not want that, Ethiopia is not for everyone, it’s not for a lot of people. She wanted to spend Ramadan home and we will spend it home. It’s a beautiful feeling being back home, driving my own car, coming back to a nice apartment, shopping for Ramadan, taking my girl for an iced latte at one of our favorite spots. It’s beautiful, I am grateful for everything small and big. This trip further humbled me, gave me more patience, and made me more human, empathetic is the word. I know this should be about Sanaa and Addis Ababa but my wife stole the show. You know when you listen to music, like some great songs, I envision my wife, I think of her, I take her for granted from time to time, but you spend some days apart and then you see your love, it’s a different story.

I know where I belong in this world. [Big Grin] as if I am making any sense at all.

P.S Pics will continue but please stop distracting me Tina [Razz] - it's good to be back on ES [Smile]

Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wonderful,out of the ordinary travel pics!
Yemen is to culprit of exotic and far flung for me.That last pic depicts very well the local architecture of Sanaa in what is supposed to be a housing building.
Clear up that for me,Exiled.

Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cbrbddd
Member # 3891

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbrbddd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice! [Smile]

--------------------
I fell in to a burning ring of fire . . .

Posts: 895 | From: NorthTexas, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiled
Member # 14410

quote:
Originally posted by Sashyra8:
Wonderful,out of the ordinary travel pics!
Yemen is to culprit of exotic and far flung for me.That last pic depicts very well the local architecture of Sanaa in what is supposed to be a housing building.
Clear up that for me,Exiled.

Yes the buildings ahead are housing buildings, Sash. This is Old Sanaa and people pretty much live like they did centuries ago. The buildings are not merely for tourists pleasure or hallow, it is another world there. Old Sanaa is where many, many people live. They usually have shops on the ground floor of the buildings. I took some close-ups of such buildings and hopefully you will enjoy them.
Exiled
Member # 14410

This is only meters away from the last pic a direction leading to one of old Sanaa’s alleys

-

Pretty much at the same spot but looking towards the circle inside the bab(gate/entrance).

-

This pic is literally facing the inside the bab, i am walking you guys through Old Sanaa [Smile]

-

To be cont’d

Habeeby
Member # 14429

Exiled your pictures are works of art and your words are poetry [Smile] you are such a bohemian my friend [Wink] I have become addicted to your articulate posts and it is so wonderful to hear you speak so eloquently about your wife [Smile] I ask myself is this the same exiled who was posting last year??? I think not [Razz] Long may the fires of love be stoked and your happiness continue [Smile]
Exiled
Member # 14410

I picked a street/an alley and here we go: This guy was trying to sell some kind of necklaces.

-

These daggers are called “gambeeyeh/Jambeeyeh” and are traditionally worn by Yemeni males. Some very expensive ones have ivory for the grip/handle and are lined with gold Islamic dinars. They are mostly for show.

-

-

This souk (souk al milh) is beautiful and amazing, check out the shops, the cobblestone roads, the buildings, the people and how they dress, they are so friendly and even ask you to photograph them as I will later display. [Smile] Wonderful. I am glad you guys are enjoying these pics.

-

Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Sooo curious how the housing buildings elaborately painted decoration looks like it was hand drawn in heavy chalk work. [Smile]

I feel like im watching the Travel Channel here!

Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
That Yemeni guy all decked with his belt and dagger is such authentic view.
Habeeby
Member # 14429

My god those gambeeyeh are everywhere, see the guy with one in his waistband - wouldn't want to upset these people for sure [Eek!] Exiled didn't this make you feel a little intimidated? i think i would... please more pics this is great!!!!! [Smile]
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com