Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » tradtional v's modern

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: tradtional v's modern
Jellies Bellies
Member # 16811

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jellies Bellies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just some of my thoughts here:

Some families dont eat together as a family because a)they dont have time b)everyone is busy and the food gets reheated as each member enters the household c)family members do as they please and often the youngsters eat out/take out etc.. d) mealtimes are not that important e)the primary carer actually works and doesnt supervise mealtime e)please add your own...

what is the manner of eating/meal time in traditional families, lets say rural ones maybe? is it common to find folk sitting on the floor eating altogether, or at a big table in the city waiting the parents to join the kids and stuff like that...

just interested in traditional v's modern family life i think. am very interested in the egytpains!
[Smile]

Posts: 10 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahala
Member # 16703

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rahala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok.
I live in both Countryside and Cairo,currently in countryside .
I ALWAYS have Lunch(middle of the day) on a table in both rural and Cairo.
not All people like me ,in rural Areas they sometimes eat on the floor and sometimes on what a so called TABLIA(which is a small table 20 cm higher the floor).
In Cairo ,people generally use big tables.
For breakfast,....most Egyptians do not have breakfast at home since they go work so early ,for example in rural areas they go in the dawn but in Cairo they start probably at 7 sharp ot even 6 so usually Egyptians have breakfast at work!! or in the break around 10 sharp for the students or even early in the streets before they go to work.
I usually have breakfast at home.
For dinner(end of the dAY),rural areas sometimes have launch sometimes they do not!
I do not!
I really would like to make you notice that there is no more rural areas!!!
just kidding [Smile] ,of course there are but rural areas has now evolved somewhere to towns like for Example Kafr El-sheikh or Quessna and some places evolved into TOWNIZED villages or sometimes into poor places and sometimes to very poor places!!!
Happy Excavations!! [Smile]

Posts: 2417 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahala
Member # 16703

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rahala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
to add:
forgot to say that countryside Usually and maybe always that family gather around in the same time to eat.\
In Cairo ,maybe yes maybe no!

Posts: 2417 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jellies Bellies
Member # 16811

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jellies Bellies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what do you mean about rural areas evolving? what are the poorest parts of cairo called? and rural villages - what are there names? do everyday egyptian visit these places...what makes it appoor area? do these people receive charity?
Posts: 10 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caitlin
Member # 16803

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for caitlin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
in uk in my home, you normally can not eat a meal without a tv on, dad is normaly at work when kids are fed and i sit them round kitchen bench on stools.
on odd occasion when i turn tv off they start fighting,throwing food etc.

now that it summer and to save them making such mess i am buying a picnic table to put in garden, they can sit out there.

my mum says i put them in the garage with the car, i owuld if i could, but cna not get away with it,

feeding time for me is like a visit to the local zoo. it is like a war zone,

i never sit down and have my food at same time, you can not relax, you have to feed baby etc,
i wait till they go to bed.

in my child hood we all sat round a table at a set time and ate as a family, no tv etc.

society has been destroyed in my view as this princible in th euk as virtually gone

Posts: 223 | From: london | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jellies Bellies
Member # 16811

Rate Member
Good point about the TV.
Is the usual place to congegrate as a family isnt it - tv dinners and all that.

you say you sat round a table in your own childhood with no TV, why is it different with your own kids if you dont mind me asking. I'm hoping to visit luxor/aswan later this year, i'm hoping to see life there and how people live and make my own comparisons. hope i get the chance. i thought that people in rural areas might not focus on TV that much defiitely not at meal times out of respect for food as i know is true in some cultures but then iremembered the little shack i'd seen in turkey with the huge sat dish on top. going off topic now i guess but thanks for sharing!

Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vader-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by caitlin:
in uk in my home, you normally can not eat a meal without a tv on, dad is normaly at work when kids are fed and i sit them round kitchen bench on stools.
on odd occasion when i turn tv off they start fighting,throwing food etc.

now that it summer and to save them making such mess i am buying a picnic table to put in garden, they can sit out there.

my mum says i put them in the garage with the car, i owuld if i could, but cna not get away with it,

feeding time for me is like a visit to the local zoo. it is like a war zone,

i never sit down and have my food at same time, you can not relax, you have to feed baby etc,
i wait till they go to bed.

in my child hood we all sat round a table at a set time and ate as a family, no tv etc.

society has been destroyed in my view as this princible in th euk as virtually gone

But at least the new generation can type. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6335 | From: Straight to my heart. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahala
Member # 16703

Member Rated:
Evolve means to develop gradually!!
The poorest parts of Cairo are those places around the Circle Road when going to Al-Remaya ,called Kafr Ghataty,Kerdasa,......
for rural villages probably they are not so poor in Delta but there are very poor villages in Upper Egypt.
Not everyone visit villages!
Yes people SOMEtimes recieve charity,but it has a complicated mechanism

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jellies Bellies:
Good point about the TV.
Is the usual place to congegrate as a family isnt it - tv dinners and all that.

you say you sat round a table in your own childhood with no TV, why is it different with your own kids if you dont mind me asking. I'm hoping to visit luxor/aswan later this year, i'm hoping to see life there and how people live and make my own comparisons. hope i get the chance. i thought that people in rural areas might not focus on TV that much defiitely not at meal times out of respect for food as i know is true in some cultures but then iremembered the little shack i'd seen in turkey with the huge sat dish on top. going off topic now i guess but thanks for sharing!

depends if football is on tv [Wink]
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caitlin
Member # 16803

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for caitlin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
look at generations gone by and the morals in society, gadgets are meant to make life easier but this is may have been the case but we have forgot about life.
kids have xboxs, internet etc, did not have these in my day, i am only 31, so not ancient.

a table used to be time when you talk about your day, relax etc, i have a lot of friends spanish and they have a lovely food time atmosphere, relaxing etc, the same can be said for my ex. they make a big point of eating a caertin time as family, even now.

do not know why, i suppose my family made time to be toghter mum and dad work patterns the same etc.

when i married, he worked away and when we evetually live together, i would leave at 7am and come back at 6pm, by then he would have been at work, so you get used to eating byyourself.

it became a way of life.

have one kid, work full time 7.30am-5.30pm, my child in the nursery, pickhe rup come to home, she had tea at nursery, used to bath her and then give her supper,
this carried on for 2nd child,
i was always in a hurry and had to do housework etc on top of my job.

i stopped work with 3rd child and then as i was always busy etc, no time to do anything,

i used the tv as a free babysitter.

my future plan when i get my ex out of the house is to convert garage into tv room etc, and then my living room will have no tv.

plus for 10 years my ex has used the table as an office, even low he has a study/office. i tidy the table up so we cna sit, he throw things back.
i swear i had 5 children, meaning he was biggest child of them all.

Posts: 223 | From: london | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com