Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » rabbit

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: rabbit
Dawn-Bev*
Member # 15190

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn-Bev*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
any recipes for rabbit meat dishes, a friend of has been out poaching, and is going to skin and gut a few - Rabbit casserole is the only dish I can think of, are there any others, what goes well with rabbit?

thanks

Posts: 712 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dutch Breaded Rabbit, Graul
2 rabbits
1 tablespoon flour
2 eggs,beaten
1 cup milk or cream
1 cup fine bread crumbs
Salt, pepper

Clean, wash, disjoint rabbit in several waters, and parboil for 10 minutes (water boiling when you put in the rabbit). Then take out and dip the pieces in beaten egg, then in bread crumbs; season with salt and pepper and fry in butter and lard, mixed, until brown. Then thicken the gravy with the flour and add the milk or cream and let come to a boil. Pour this over the rabbit, and add also onion sauce.

another one [Razz]

Rabbit in Cream:

(Serve with applesauce and fried potatoes)
1 large rabbit, cut into serving pieces, 6 tbs. flour, salt,
black pepper, 2 tbs. butter, 2 tbs. oil, 1-1/2 cups light cream
Wash rabbit pieces and pat dry with paper toweling. Dust with 4
tbs. flour and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat the butter and
oil in pan, brown the pieces on each side, cover and cook for 30
mins. or until the juices run clear.
Place the meat on a heated platter. Add the remaining 2 tbs.
flour to the pan drippings, stir and scrape the bits from the
bottom. Slowly stir in the cream and cook, stirring, over medium
heat until the sauce is thickened, at least 7 mins.
Spoon sauce over the meat before serving.

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dawn, here in Germany we eat rabbit usually with boiled potatoes or dumplings and red cabbage with apples. Sorry can't give you the recipe as my mom is cooking it only.

-

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unfinished thought.
Member # 16076

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for unfinished thought.   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By Matthew Fort
The Guardian

'Any chance of the recipe?" I asked the old lady. She scowled, then disappeared back into the kitchen of the taverna, never to be seen again.

I had a bit of sympathy: you spend years perfecting a dish, getting it just so, then some clever clogs ups and offs with it, and the next moment it's all over the internet and yours no longer. It was a pity, though, because we recipe writers are always on the lookout for new ideas, and the lady at the taverna at Perithia in the middle of Corfu had been responsible for one of the most delicious rabbit dishes I've had in ages. In the course of a holiday there and on Ithaca, I came across several dishes that moved us happily and seamlessly through long afternoons of conversation (followed by sleep) and animated evenings (followed by sleep). Lapis seas, lavender skies, the scents of wild herbs, the zithering of cicadas - and lunch or dinner. Does a chap ask for much more?

All recipes serve four.

Rabbit stifado

I have recreated this dish with the help of Flavours Of Greece, by Rosemary Barron (Grub Street), and Greek Food, by Rena Salaman (Harper Collins). The secret, I have decided, is in the number of onions. You need lots.

115ml red-wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic, lightly crushed
4-6 grains allspice (or ¼ tsp ground)
1 stick cinnamon
4 bayleaves
1 orange, zested
1 large rabbit (or 2 small), jointed
80ml extra-virgin olive oil
140ml red wine
1.5kg small onions, peeled
2 tbsp tomato purée
1 tsp honey
Salt and pepper

In a bowl, mix the vinegar, garlic, allspice, cinnamon, bay and orange zest. Add the rabbit, stir to make sure the meat is well covered, then leave to marinade overnight or for 24 hours.

Preheat the oven to 170C/325F/gas mark 3. Take out the rabbit bits and dry on kitchen towel. Heat the oil in a casserole, and fry the rabbit, a few pieces at a time, until golden all over. Once browned, put all the rabbit bits in the casserole, add the marinade, wine, onions, tomato purée and honey, then add water to cover and bring to a simmer on the stove-top. Transfer to the oven for an hour and a half or so, until the meat is falling off the bones. Check the juices for seasoning, and if necessary reduce to an intensity you like. This needs just a green salad and good bread by way of accompaniment.

Posts: 3773 | From: unfinished thought | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dawn-Bev*:
a friend of has been out poaching, and is going to skin and gut a few

-
Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unfinished thought.
Member # 16076

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for unfinished thought.   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Posts: 3773 | From: unfinished thought | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalila : )
Member # 14517

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalila : )         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
any recipes for rabbit meat dishes, a friend of has been out poaching, and is going to skin and gut a few - Rabbit casserole is the only dish I can think of, are there any others, what goes well with rabbit?

thanks

[Eek!] Dawn !! Mixi anyone ?
Posts: 3945 | From: ' Res Contr ' Amor non es guirens, lai on sos poders s'atura | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kalila : ):
quote:

thanks

[Eek!] Dawn !! Mixi anyone ?
Oh aye, if it has a tumour on the skin or a weeping eye sling it...

If it is healthy you could try rabbit in a white wine sauce...

Then give the remains, uncooked to a ferret to devour... whenever my dogs caught a rabbit my partner would skin it and give it to the ferrets as a treat. (We also used to collect fresh dead phesants off the roadside for them).

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

How could u stew me in wine or fry me in hot oil??..sniff..sniff!!...aien't I cute sniff.. [Frown]

Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brada-Anansi:
 -

How could u stew me in wine or fry me in hot oil??..sniff..sniff!!...aien't I cute sniff.. [Frown]

or: [Frown]
 -

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Micky, I hope you don't turn into a vegan cook now!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
Micky, I hope you don't turn into a vegan cook now!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

never girly [Wink] i just dont eat things that are so cute. [Big Grin]
rockytsang
Member # 18290

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rockytsang   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
walked by, our mother [u]tods t bag[/u] mother commented that her kids were "so [h3]givenchy replica handbags[/h3] "so unruly." The woman responded to our replica jimmy choo handbags our actress. "I've
never seen anybody tie fake breitling watches tie up children like dogs" before she [h4]bally replica bags[/h4] she continued on her way.Some parents even christian dior watch even told our

Posts: 96 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Momma_Dukez
Member # 16037

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Momma_Dukez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
w'the ****? ^^^^^^
Posts: 221 | From: philly | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com