Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » question about Egyptian Gibna Turkey

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: question about Egyptian Gibna Turkey
mish-mish
Member # 10728

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mish-mish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Folks in Alex get a cheese called Gibne Turkey.
What is the common name for this cheese? It tastes a little like parmesan or asiago. Thanks

Posts: 62 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what i can see it looks like provolone..dont quote me though. its a sandwich with turkey and provolone [Confused] Gibne was the persons name who invented the sandwich
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I LOOKED FURTHER ...mish mish, try this link and go half way down , it says its similar to Greek feta cheese or Romano

http://www.iexplore.co.uk/travel_guides/Egypt/Food

hope this helps [Smile]

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mish-mish
Member # 10728

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mish-mish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone in Alex who can look the cheese wheel on Gibne Turkey and tell me what is says? It tastes like Romano, Asiago or Parmesan. We just had some fabulous cheese from our friend in Egypt and she called it Gibne Turkey. It doesn't taste like feta unless it's super aged.
Posts: 62 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mish-mish
Member # 10728

Rate Member
Or I mean if anyone has looked at the cheese wheel and remember what it says. Not go out and look only if your curious....LOL sorry, I don't mean to be a bother...
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi mish mish [Smile]

I think what you are referring to is call Romy Cheese. "Dik Romy" is the arabic word for Turkey, and maybe that is why they call it Turkey cheese.. [Big Grin]

It's an aged, salty and hard cheese. It's popular throughout Egypt, not just Alex. You can also buy the "newer" Romy (Romy gedida) which is less salty and has a more "rubbery" texture. I use it in place of mozzarella sometimes for a Pasta bake.

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Roomy is Greek not Turkish, while Gibna Istamboli is Turkish cheese.
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really wonder what you mean with those names [Smile]

Can you tell which one is roomy and which one is gibna among the folowings?

http://www.tptatpeynircilik.com/urunlerimiz/b_tat_eski_kasar.jpg

http://www.edirneden.com/getresim.php?id=594

http://www.alcamsatcam.com/r/kars-taze-kasar-peyniri-mb20757_158151_r1.jpg

Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first is Roomy or Greek cheese,(looks more like Kashkawal), the second is Fetta cheese an Istamboli derivative, as for the last one its more like Emental. [Smile]
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did not say that Romy was from Turkey Dzosser. I was only trying to figure out why mish mish referred to it as "Gibna Turkey", and since one of the arabic words for a turkey (bird) is dik romy, I thought this might be the reason.

Shahrazat, gibna is the general arabic word for cheese. The first pic you posted looks like the romy gedida, and the last pic looks like swiss cheese to me.

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohh okey.. Thanks Laura and Dzosser [Smile]
Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
of_gold
Member # 13418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for of_gold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shah, While flying Turkish Air I was served a wonderful white cheese that I had never had before. Do you have any idea as to what it might of been?

It was not the first or third image that you posted, possibly the second.

Posts: 3891 | From: No good deed goes unpunished. | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
the second looks like feta
of_gold
Member # 13418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for of_gold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had feta before but sprinkled in a salad. This was a thick slice served in a sandwich.

--------------------
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." (Sign hanging in Einstein's office at Princeton)
Leap and the Net will Appear.

Posts: 3891 | From: No good deed goes unpunished. | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
was it real sharp to the tongue?
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

quote:
Originally posted by of_gold:
Shah, While flying Turkish Air I was served a wonderful white cheese that I had never had before. Do you have any idea as to what it might of been?

It was not the first or third image that you posted, possibly the second.

Yes gold I know the yummy sandwiches you mentioned, and yes it is the second one that we call as the white cheese [Smile]
mish-mish
Member # 10728

Rate Member
Yes it's gibna Romy with pepper. Still can't find it in the US don't know what it's called here.
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Native cheese (gibna) comes in two varieties: gibna beida, similar to feta, and gibna rumy, a sharp, hard, pale yellow cheese. These are the ones normally used in salads and sandwiches in Egypt
karim
Member # 3077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for karim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think you will find it there.

quote:
Originally posted by mish-mish:
Yes it's gibna Romy with pepper. Still can't find it in the US don't know what it's called here.

Posts: 1226 | From: Egypt | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mish-mish
Member # 10728

Rate Member
I haven't found it yet here.
egyptianqueen40
Member # 13872

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptianqueen40     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a quick comment on the gibna problem.Its widely availiable in the US.Its called gibna roomy if u r looking for it at an arabic grocer or many large American chains have it. Not sure where u r in Us but in the south I can get it at Publix,Krogers EarthFare . Costco also,Its called Romano.I have been told its not the same as the one in Egypt. I always bring some for my hubby from Cairo. It will pass if u must have it(his words).
Posts: 2 | From: Guadalajara Mexico | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com