Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » zucchini bread for the holidays

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: zucchini bread for the holidays
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ingredients

* 2 medium zucchini, about 3/4 pound, grated
* 1 cup sugar
* 1 egg
* 1/2 cup canola oil
* 1 cup all-purpose flour
* 1 cup whole-wheat flour
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 cup whole or low-fat milk
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 3/4 cup dried cranberries
* 3/4 cup dark or milk chocolate chips
* 1/2 cup chopped pecans

directions
step 1
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare 4 mini loaf pans measuring 3 by 6 inches by rubbing the bottom and sides of the pans with butter and then sprinkling with flour to coat, tapping out the excess flour.
step 2
In a large mixing bowl add the grated zucchini, sugar, egg and oil. Mix well. Add the all-purpose and whole-wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, milk and vanilla. Mix well to combine.
step 3
Add the cranberries, chocolate chips and pecans. Stir to thoroughly incorporate. Fill each of the prepared loaf pans about 3/4 full with batter and bake for 45 minutes or until a wooden toothpick or a knife inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out clean.
step 4
Remove pans from the oven and allow them to cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Then run a small knife around the sides of the loaves to loosen them from the pans, and tip the pans sideways to turn the bread out onto the cooling rack, using the knife or a flat spatula to remove the loaves without breaking them. Once they are cooled completely, wrap the bread with Saran™ Premium Wrap or cellophane
[Razz]

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nasto
Member # 17091

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nasto   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chef Mike,

great recipe. Thanks. Do you know which flour in the local shops will go as "all-purpose" or "whole-wheat"? What I have seen, and believe me I've tried hard to find, was either plain flour or fine flour or self-raising. I am totally confused [Frown]

Posts: 132 | From: Alex | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am not sure , i am in the USA but i would guess it is plain flour
anyone else can help Nasto?

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
all purpose is plain flour, you're adding baking powder and baking soda to make it into self raising. Whole wheat is brown flour I think, never seen that in Luxor though [Frown]

Eng-Am translation: Baking SODA is Bicarbonate of soda in UK.

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nasto:
Chef Mike,

great recipe. Thanks. Do you know which flour in the local shops will go as "all-purpose" or "whole-wheat"? What I have seen, and believe me I've tried hard to find, was either plain flour or fine flour or self-raising. I am totally confused [Frown]

Nasto, the 2 best flours I have found so far are Doha brand (found it in Carrefour) and if you shop at Fathalla there is a flour that comes in a white and yellow (gold) paper bag, which says All Purpose Flour on it, don't know the brand name. It resembles the Gold Medal brand flour bag in the states. Both work great. Also keep in mind that the baking powder here is not as strong as in the states and I always add a bit more (sometimes double what the recipe calls for) when baking, if recipe calls for it.
Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Chef Mike,

oh by the way its chef mick or Micky [Big Grin] ...not mike [Wink]
Nasto
Member # 17091

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nasto   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Laura and Ayisha for the tips. I have a brademaking machine and it's quite demanding to the type of flour. I brought with me rye flour for brown bread and trying to find the wholemeal and wholewheat flour. Looks like I have to bring them with me every time I travel [Smile]

Chef Mick, my sincere apologies [Frown] (ashamed and red-faced)

Posts: 132 | From: Alex | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
quote:
Thanks Laura and Ayisha for the tips. I have a brademaking machine and it's quite demanding to the type of flour. I brought with me rye flour for brown bread and trying to find the wholemeal and wholewheat flour. Looks like I have to bring them with me every time I travel [Smile]

Chef Mick, my sincere apologies [Frown] (ashamed and red-faced)

no worries Nasto. it is all ok [Wink] where do you travel from?
Nasto
Member # 17091

Rate Member
Emirates - Egypt - Russia are my main routs. In both Russia and Emirates it is easy for me to buy whatever I need. Here in Egypt I have to rely on my husband (all written in arabic). But a woman cannot trust a man in such delicate issues like yeast or flour. For them (men) they are all the same [Smile]
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
quote:
Emirates - Egypt - Russia are my main routs. In both Russia and Emirates it is easy for me to buy whatever I need. Here in Egypt I have to rely on my husband (all written in arabic). But a woman cannot trust a man in such delicate issues like yeast or flour. For them (men) they are all the same [Smile]

isnt that the truth [Razz]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com