Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Moist Pumpkin Cake

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Moist Pumpkin Cake
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moist Pumpkin Cake

* 2 cups Sugar
* 1 cup Oil
* 4 Eggs
* 3 cups Flour
* 2 teaspoons Baking powder
* 2 teaspoons Baking sodas
* 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
* 1/4 teaspoon Cloves
* 1/2 teaspoon Ginger
* 1 teaspoon Salt
* 1 Can pumpkin pie filling
* 6 ounces Mini choc chips
* 1/2 cup Chopped nuts ( opt )

Mix everything in order given. batter will be thick. Bake in in a tube pan or two 9x5x3-inch loaf pans.
Bake at 350° for 65 to 70 minutes for tube pan and less time for other pans. A wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center should come out clean. Let stand wrapped overnight before cutting.
This is a favorite pumpkin cake

Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe

* 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
* 2 Tablespoons butter, softened
* 2 cups confectioners' sugar
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, optional
* water as needed

Directions: How To Make Cream Cheese Frosting

1. Using a large mixer bowl fitted with the paddle or beater, beat cream cheese and butter until creamy. Scrape down sides of bowl.
2. Add confectioners' sugar 1/2 cup at a time, beating after each addition until light and fluffy.
3. Add vanilla and cinnamon if desired and beat again.
4. If the frosting is too stiff, add a teaspoon of water at a time until spreading consistency is achieved.
5. Spread cream cheese frosting on cooled cake. Decorate as desired.
6. Cut pieces with a sharp knife. Wrap and refrigerate any leftovers.

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is pumpkin pie filling and can I make it myself?  -
Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it is just the pumpkin you get in a can. its like pureed pumpkin.
was the easiest cake to make also..my grandson cracked the eggs for em and stirred the ingred
 -

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chef Mick:
it is just the pumpkin you get in a can. its like pureed pumpkin.

Thanks.  - In Europe and Egypt you can't get pumpkin in a can, and I prefer fresh stuff anyway.

So I just put some pumpkin in the blender, right? Is hokkaido or butternut squash ok?

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
yes for sure , make sure it is drained of its water good though.butternut would be awesome
it really came out very moist and yummy
and when it calls for sugar in the icing use 10x sugar or what they call confectioner sugar ( the powdered sugar)

*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Thanks, micky, I was thinking of butternut as well. [Wink]

I'll make the powdered sugar by just throwing some regular sugar into the blender. But I am wondering if it's possible to create a vegan version of the frosting. Any ideas?
 -

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Lemon Glaze

1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice -- (about 2 lemons)

In a small nonreactive saucepan, combine the sugar and lemon juice. Heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar dissolves. Poke holes in the cake with a toothpick or small sharp knife and slowly pour the lemon glaze over it.
or any other juice you would like. maybe orange or lime

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
you could even just add water to the sugar to make the glaze and then add cinnamon or pumpkin spices
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Lemon glaze sounds good, thanks!
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
anytime *Dalia* [Smile]
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
A friend gave me a huge hokkaido pumpkin yesterday. [Smile] I will use of half of it for a Thai curry and then use the other half to try this recipe next week.

-

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
let me know how it turns out, plzzzzzz

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com