Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Baked Falafel for the vegans

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Baked Falafel for the vegans
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vegan | Vegan Vegetarian Meals

Ingredients

2 Cups Chickpeas (garbanzo beans) - Rinsed and drained
1/4 Cup Onions, raw, chopped
1 tsp "no salt" seasoning
1/8 Cup Parsley
1/8 Cup Coriander
2 cloves Garlic
2 tsp Cinnamon, ground
1 tsp Ground Cumin
1 TBSP Whole Wheat Flour

3 tbsp Tahini (sesame paste)
1.5 tbsp Lemon juice

3 pitas, whole-wheat, small (4" dia) cut in half
2 Cup Romaine Lettuce, shredded
6 Black Olives
6 Red Ripe Cherry Tomatoes

Directions
Combine chickpeas, onion, "no salt" seasoning, parsley, coriander, garlic, cinamon, and cumin in a food processor. blend until mixture is quite pureed and transfer to medium sized bowl. Stir in flour; shape mixture into 6 patties.

Preheat oven to 400ºF

Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and place over medium-high heat. Add patties and cook until golden brown, flipping once, about 3-5 minutes per side. Place patties on a baking sheet that has been sprayed and bake 10 minutes.

In a small bowl, stir together tahini, lemon Juice and water. stir until consisitency is a smooth paste.

Take 1/2 of a whole wheat pita, insert 1 falafel cake, add lettuce, 1 cherry tomato and 1 black olive. Drizzle about 1 TBSP of tahini mixture on sandwich and enjoy!

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love falafel. But they are vegan by default. [Wink]
Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i thought you were vegan ...tats why i posted it [Wink]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a semi-vegan. [Cool] I try to avoid dairy products but do eat cheese sometimes.

I like the fact that those are baked and not fried, and I still have a batch of chick peas in the freezer, so I'll give them a try.

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
please let me know if they are any better then the good old fried ones...i know they would be healthier for you.
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked the fried ones.
This is how we cook a similar one [Smile]

Zucchini Pate / Mujver

1 medium size zucchini
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
2-3 fresh green onions, chopped
1/2 cup parsley, chopped
1/2 cup fresh dill weed, chopped
1 tbsp flour
2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 or 2 eggs
1 tsp baking powder
Black pepper

-

First grate zucchini and then squeeze with your hands to get the water out. Then add all the ingredients above, with the egg going in last (as it makes the mixture watery quickly). Mix with a wooden spoon.

Pour some sunflower oil in a large skillet, about 1 cm deep. When the oil warms up, take a lump of the mixture (a couple large spoons' worth) and put in the skillet. Fry each side approximately 3 minutes at medium-high heat. When done, put the pieces on a plate with a paper towel to soak up extra oil.

Serve with a bit of yogurt on top of each piece - yogurt with garlic especially goes well. Mucver can also be a great sandwich for lunch

http://www.turkishcookbook.com/2005/03/zucchini-pate.php

Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
I've made these often, Shah, they are absolutely delicious!  -

I just hate the process of grating the zucchini, ugh. My mother used to grate them in a machine which saves a lot of work and time.

'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohh yes Dalia I hate it as well and it is the only reason for my cooking it rarely [Frown]
Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com