Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » POTATO LEEK SOUP

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: POTATO LEEK SOUP
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for those cold winter nights

POTATO LEEK SOUP

3 leeks
4 potatoes, quartered
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup light cream
1 qt. water or chicken stock
1/4 teaspoon fresh chopped chives
2 T each chopped celery and shallots

parsley to garnish

Peel and quarter the potatoes.

Prepare the leeks by removing the green portions, reserving for another use if desired. Cut down the center lengthwise and wash thoroughly. Chop the white portions finely and saute lightly with the chopped shallots in half the butter for 5-7 minutes. Add 1 quart of water or chicken stock, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, the quartered potatoes, and simmer 20-25 minutes. Remove potatoes and leeks to a small bowl, reserving using a potato masher, mash to a puree in return the puree to the cooking water. Stir in the milk, cream, and remaining butter, reheating one minute if needed. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with parsley and croutons.

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
melissa87
Member # 17186

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for melissa87     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the recipe! my mum and my favourite soup, cant wait to make it [Big Grin]
Posts: 140 | From: Ireland | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You read my mind Micky. This is something that will hit the spot on this chilly evening. I'll leave soon to get the missing ingredients. Hope I'm not tempted to eat out [Razz]

I have 2 questions, when you say 3 Leeks do you mean 3 leaves or 3 stalks. And if three stalks does that include the white part (the head?) or just the green.

And light cream, something like Carnation milk?

See you soon Chef.

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never mind about the Leek question. The recipes explains it well. [Smile]
Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
 -

I came home much later than expected, so I'll probably cook this recipe tomorrow. I didn't find fresh chives and the celery they had was awful. This is expected on Fridays in the Middle East. The produce is simply not as fresh. Maybe I'll have better luck tomorrow with the celery. I did snap a pic of the ingredients like I traditionally do before cooking one of Micky's dishes.

Back in the day (last year [Big Grin] ) I would have made the chicken broth from scratch. But this organic chicken stock is cool, no preservatives, no additives and no MSG.

Micky where is the recipe for Monday? It'll be nice if you post it so I can get what I need tomorrow.

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry exiiled, just got home from work.as usual this time every night,still thinking of a recipe ..you have to help me out ...what would you like to cook?
you can use a half and half cream . i use i quart of heavy cream for the soup ..it comes out richer tasting [Razz]

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
So you had a long day. Go relax, take your time and whatever recipe comes to mind I'll cook it. Nothing with flour though [Razz] (remember the sponge cake, took me like 10 hrs to get 50% right [Big Grin]

If you're at an impasse you can simply give me 2 recipes and I'll pick one. But for now go relax, drink a cup of hot cocoa and when a recipe comes to mind, post it. [Smile]

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what cuisine would you like ...ex. Italian , Chinese, etc.help me out here...i am having brain farts [Big Grin]
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
 -

This recipe was bigger than I anticipated. I started sauting the leek and onions in a skillet but realized it was inadequate for the quart of broth and potatoes. So the genius that I am I used put the sauteed leeks and onions in the larger pot.

Everything is going fine. The ingredients are simmer now. So I'll let you guys see how it turned out when it's fully cooked.

Micky for tomorrow's recipe I would prefer Italian over Chinese. And this recipe would have been good yesterday but great today. It's cold and chilly and jackass I can be I went out few days ago with wet hair. I know, I know wet hair is not the reason to catch a cold (according to scientist) but these are the same imbeciles who said we originated from primates.

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
 -

This recipe tasted absolutely delicious. It's soups like this that make a cold day more pleasant. Thanks Micky, and I give it 10/10. I also appreciate the fact that it was nutritious and healthy.

I didn't use celery but it still tasted great, also didn't have croutons so I improvised by tosting/grilling bread with a spread of butter. Yummy! The lemon wasn't even necessary but considering that I'm a little under the weather, a little Vitamin C, seemed like a good idea.

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
erm, micky, can I use Spring Onions (Scallions to you Americans) if I cant get leeks? [Frown]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
did not wanna sound stupid but wat are leeks?

wow just looked it up and its mixed with potatoe soup ooo i like me sum potatoe soup..but never ate leeks knowingly before.

Leeks are most commonly used in soup, most notably in vichyssoise, a lovely soup composed of potatoes and leeks and served cold -- excellent for summer day lunching. If you have a favorite potato soup recipe, try adding some sliced leeks next time you prepare it -- leeks, potatoes and carrots in a chicken broth is about the best soup there is. Leeks are also edible raw, and can impart a great crunchy flavor to salads or when eaten with a dip. Cut leeks in half lengthwise and rinse thoroughly to remove and dirt or grit, then add to a platter of crudites.

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tina kamal:

Exiled's first pic has them, like big oniony thingies [Big Grin]

'ello dunes, welcome back [Cool]

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
quote:

eww i hate onions but like potatoes
Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ayisha:
erm, micky, can I use Spring Onions (Scallions to you Americans) if I cant get leeks? [Frown] [/QU
erm...NO [Big Grin]

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
quote:

Hi Ayisha and thanks for the welcome. I think you will find leek in Luxor. Maybe, maybe not but Leek was never a problem finding. But sometimes they have the small leek, the ones with no head.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com