Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » breakfast egyptian style

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: breakfast egyptian style
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i just made breakfast wanting to recreate what i had in Egypt ( missing it [Frown] ).can you tell me what i have missed...i made
eggs with cheese
fuul with tomatoes peppers onions and garlic
baba ganoush
hummus
i didn't have Egypt. bread so i used Naan [Razz]

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
help please , i need it for some special people coming
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
T3ameya!

Shakshouka instead of the eggs & cheese

Tahina

Naan is fine imo, but why don't you just bake some baladi bread?

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cbrbddd
Member # 3891

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbrbddd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
olives???

I always like cucumber, tomato and feta cheese (they have the other kinds too like laughing cow, hehe).

--------------------
I fell in to a burning ring of fire . . .

Posts: 895 | From: NorthTexas, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by cbrbddd:
olives???

I always like cucumber, tomato and feta cheese (they have the other kinds too like laughing cow, hehe).

yes i have the olives green and greek , and feta, forgot about them, ty
daliah: Shakshouka? isnt that eggs in a tomato sauce and other ingred? i thought that was jewish [Big Grin]

Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
olives???

That´s would be a typical Turkish breakfast along with other yummies,cbrbddd.And don´t forget the luscious yogurt.
Ask Sharhazat. [Smile]

Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
*Dalia* : found this recipe for the bread: did you ever make it?

Ingredient

1) 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour.
2) 7 oz. water.
3) 1/2 tsp. salt.
4) 1/4 oz. Dry Yeast.
Bake Like an Egyptian

1) Put flour and salt in an oversized bowl.
2) Mix Dry Yeast with the water.
3) Slowly add water.
4) Take turns kneading the dough.
5) Spread flour on a clean, flat surface.
6) Roll dough into small balls.
7) Form balls into flat round shapes or triangles.
8) Cover with a cloth for one to two hours only.

In one to two hours:
Bake bread on a greased sheet for 30 minutes at 350 Degree heat.

Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
¨Bake Like an Egyptian¨

And how do Egyptians bake,any special way? [Big Grin]

Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
thats what it says in the recipe
http://members.cox.net/ahmedheissa/recbread.htm
cant really answer ya sash [Big Grin]

Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Chef Mick:
thats what it says in the recipe
http://members.cox.net/ahmedheissa/recbread.htm
cant really answer ya sash [Big Grin]

We gotta ask the Egys here to perform for us a show & tell of how they bake....loooll! [Big Grin]
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
where is dzosser when you need him [Big Grin] [Razz]
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

daliah: Shakshouka? isnt that eggs in a tomato sauce and other ingred? i thought that was jewish [Big Grin]

Yeah, I don't think it's originally Egyptian. The first time I had it was in Tunisia, I think it's a North African dish. But it's yummy and most of the foul and tameya places sell it. I always order it along with the other things if I want to have a lush Egyptian breakfast. That, or "Spanish omelete". Both are basically scrambled eggs with some veggies and spices.

How about some Egyptian mussaka? That's delicious as well.

-
quote:

No, since it's so easy to get fresh bread in Egypt at all times. But I'm in Germany at the moment, and now that you mention it, I think it would be nice to give it a try. If you make it, please let me know how it turns out.

Too bad ... I had people over for brunch today, I should have made some Egyptian stuff! Oh well ... next week.

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
i have to get yeast but i will try the bread today...and you know me i will probably add some fresh herbs such as thyme or basil and garlic.i will divide the dough make some plain and some with the herbs
and ohhh i did make the Egyptian mussaka like 3 weeks ago ....awesome

Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by *Dalia*:
quote:

Yeah, I don't think it's originally Egyptian. The first time I had it was in Tunisia, I think it's a North African dish. But it's yummy and most of the foul and tameya places sell it. I always order it along with the other things if I want to have a lush Egyptian breakfast. That, or "Spanish omelete". Both are basically scrambled eggs with some veggies and spices.

How about some Egyptian mussaka? That's delicious as well.

-
quote:

No, since it's so easy to get fresh bread in Egypt at all times. But I'm in Germany at the moment, and now that you mention it, I think it would be nice to give it a try. If you make it, please let me know how it turns out.

Too bad ... I had people over for brunch today, I should have made some Egyptian stuff! Oh well ... next week.

The quintessential Spanish omelette contains potatoes and onions along with eggs,of course.I learned to do a mean one with my late mother in law,Dalia.Its one of the most delicious yet simple dishes you can taste.Make sure to use the best olive oil you can afford.
You can add 1-2 cloves of fresh garlic to intensify the taste.

http://www.tapas-recipes.com/spanish-
omelette.html

Sorry to hijack your thread,Micky. [Big Grin]

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
your link doesnt come up ...want to see it, and you didnt hijack it ..we are talking about breakfast [Razz] [Wink]
http://www.tapas-recipes.com/spanish-omelette.html
yummyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy [Razz] thanks [Smile]

Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
quote:
your link doesnt come up ...want to see it, and you didnt hijack it ..we are talking about breakfast [Razz] [Wink]
http://www.tapas-recipes.com/spanish-omelette.html
yummyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy [Razz] thanks [Smile]

Try again cause i click on that same link and it comes out.
By the way,Spanish omelette isn´t eaten in Spain as breakfast exactly,but mostly as a tapa or anytime along the day as a quick yummy dish [Smile]

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
got it thanks....you had it on 2 lines . i figured it out
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Sashyra8:

The quintessential Spanish omelette contains potatoes and onions along with eggs,of course.I learned to do a mean one with my late mother in law,Dalia.Its one of the most delicious yet simple dishes you can taste.Make sure to use the best olive oil you can afford.

I know Spanish omelette / tortilla, Sash, and I've eaten it often in Tapa bars. But what the Egyptians call Spanish omelette is a different thing altogether. [Wink]
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sashyra8:

I know Spanish omelette / tortilla, Sash, and I've eaten it often in Tapa bars. But what the Egyptians call Spanish omelette is a different thing altogether. [Wink]
I guess they are yet another of those that when they say Spanish they mean anybody Spanish speaking.

But really,Spanish are those Spain nationals or born in Spain,but some also call them Spaniards.To many when they speak of Spanish they might want to mean all Spanish speakers,which is not exactly.

Ok,im a Spanish wannabe...but that´s another story. [Big Grin] [Razz]

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Sash i just went to the store for my yeast ans as i was going i heard on the radio " Tapa..they were advertising for a Spanish restaurant in my area, how ironic we were just talking about Tapas
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
quote:
Sash i just went to the store for my yeast ans as i was going i heard on the radio " Tapa..they were advertising for a Spanish restaurant in my area, how ironic we were just talking about Tapas

Yess,what a coincidence!!!
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
ok Dalia the bread is in the oven .....smells so good, will let ya know
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Micky for a belated response..was watching African football matches.. [Big Grin] You practically have everything included in your menu but dunno if you can find some 'basterma' to serve with eggs either fried or scrambled..that's one and for desert there's 'belila'..its wheat grain simmered in hot milk and sugar added to it..but basically you're doing fine with ta3meya, fuul served with either tahina or olive oil, and omelette '3egga'..greek cheese, olives and fetta cheese along with yoghurt to help digest the fuul.

Very important to have cumin or hot spice (red powder) for the fuul just in case, lots of lemon too.

I don't have breakfast btw..just tea with skimmed milk and biscuits (Lotus caramelised) [Razz] [Big Grin]

Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
i do have cumin or hot spice (red powder) for the fuul just in case, lots of lemon too...thats a must with me and thanks for the other suggestions
i love those biscuits [Razz]

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
its official Dalia, its Delicious, i took it out of the oven put some olive oil on it then took a garlic clove and rubbed it on the top ...wow. and it was so easy
cbrbddd
Member # 3891

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbrbddd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
olives???

yes i have the olives green and greek , and feta, forgot about them, ty

I forgot the yogurt!!

And I did have this in egypt . . . so it isn't just the Turkish ppl that eat this way, lol, although that is the b'fast I had at the turkish hotels when I took that trip too [Wink]

Posts: 895 | From: NorthTexas, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
i think i liked the Naan bread better...i just made it today...softer and easier to work with
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mmm garlic naan....

ooo peshwari naan...

Did you do the bhuna?

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
omg girly the bhuna was fabulous , and the NAAN! i roasted garlic in the oven first with olive oil then when it was done added it to the dough with just a pinch of cumin....i thought i died and went to heaven, what a great flavor
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your next mission is keema naan and peshwari naan.

Also for the main course try Rogan Josh

I am not changing the subject btw, I have been known on many occasion to eat this for breakfast [Big Grin]

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
the keema naan is just stuffed naan correct? and the Rogan Josh is mutton? i thought it was a guy. [Eek!] .... [Big Grin]
please i dont like mutton [Razz]

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
They are both lamb dishes but keema is minced and rolled flat.... LUSH.

Do peshwari then... that goes well with tandoori butter chicken... mmm.. I am now craving a proper indian curry.

*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:
i think i liked the Naan bread better...i just made it today...softer and easier to work with

Could you post the recipe?

I have several recipes for naan here, but using one that's already been tested by someone would be better.

I cook Indian food all the time but never made naan.  - Mostly out of laziness, my Indian menus usually consist of two to three different dishes already, so it's easier to just serve Basmati rice on the side.

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

I have several recipes for naan here, but using one that's already been tested by someone would be better.

I cook Indian food all the time but never made naan.  - Mostly out of laziness, my Indian menus usually consist of two to three different dishes already, so it's easier to just serve Basmati rice on the side.

here ya go DALIA [Smile]

Ingredients
2/3 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C) 1 teaspoon active dry yeast 1 teaspoon white sugar 2 cups all-purpose flour 1 teaspoon salt 1/4 cup ghee 2 tablespoons plain yogurt 2 teaspoons kalonji (onion seed)
Directions
Whisk the warm water with the yeast and sugar until the yeast is dissolved. Cover and let stand in a warm place for 10 minutes.
Sift flour and salt three times into a large bowl add the yeast mixture, half of the ghee and all the yogurt. Mix into a soft dough then knead on a floured surface for about 5 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic. Place the dough in a large greased bowl, cover and let stand in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours or until the dough is doubled in size .
Punch down dough then knead for 5 minutes. Divide dough into 6 pieces. Roll each piece out into 8 inch round naans.
Cover an oven tray with foil and grease the foil. Brush the naan with a little of the remaining ghee and sprinkle with some of the kalonji. Cook naan one at a time under a very hot grill for about 2 minutes on each side or until puffed and just browned.

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

here ya go DALIA [Smile]

Ingredients
2/3 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C) 1 teaspoon active dry yeast 1 teaspoon white sugar 2 cups all-purpose flour 1 teaspoon salt 1/4 cup ghee 2 tablespoons plain yogurt 2 teaspoons kalonji (onion seed)
Directions
Whisk the warm water with the yeast and sugar until the yeast is dissolved. Cover and let stand in a warm place for 10 minutes.
Sift flour and salt three times into a large bowl add the yeast mixture, half of the ghee and all the yogurt. Mix into a soft dough then knead on a floured surface for about 5 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic. Place the dough in a large greased bowl, cover and let stand in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours or until the dough is doubled in size .
Punch down dough then knead for 5 minutes. Divide dough into 6 pieces. Roll each piece out into 8 inch round naans.
Cover an oven tray with foil and grease the foil. Brush the naan with a little of the remaining ghee and sprinkle with some of the kalonji. Cook naan one at a time under a very hot grill for about 2 minutes on each side or until puffed and just browned.

Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
quote:
omg girly the bhuna was fabulous , and the NAAN! i roasted garlic in the oven first with olive oil then when it was done added it to the dough with just a pinch of cumin....i thought i died and went to heaven, what a great flavor

I love that roasted garlic that you can use as spread over a slice of bread or cracker!
Another nice twist to garlic is this Spanish way:
Scratch a fresh,raw clove of garlic over a toasted slice of bread,even better if you use some sort of peasant or French bread.Make sure you do it all over the bread slice.Then also kinda scratch/squeeze half a very ripe tomato over the bread the same way.Pour a squirt of the finest extra-virgin olive oil you can afford over it,and sprinkle salt to taste.
Heavenly taste to enjoy! [Smile]

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
i also have did it with raw garlic...just gives the bread or toast a hint of garlic....nice.
there is nothing better then roasted garlic, it becomes so sweet

'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This looks good [Smile]

-

Bread with tomato paste:
Mix tomato paste with oregano, extra virgin olive oil and crushed red pepper. Spread on fresh Turkish bread.

Bread with extra virgin olive oil:
Pour extra virgin olive oil on a plate, sprinkle some oregano, red pepper, black pepper on top, then soak one side of a slice of fresh Turkish bread in the mixture.

Bread with feta cheese:
Mix crumbled white (feta) cheese, parsley (chopped), red pepper (ground) and extra virgin olive oil with a fork, then spread this mixture on a slice of bread. Set the oven to grill. Put the bread on the tray and place in the oven. Grill for a few minutes until the edge of the bread turns light brown.

Bread with egg:
Remove a small round piece from the middle of a bread slice. Pour 1 tsp of olive oil into a pan. Place the bread slice in it. Break an egg into the empty space in the centre of the bread and cover the lid. Cook until the egg white is cooked over low heat, do not over cook the yolk! Sprinkle some red pepper, salt and pepper on top and serve.

Bread with black olive paste:
Just spread some black olive paste, sprinkle some oregano and some crushed red pepper on a slice of fresh Turkish bread and enjoy...

http://www.turkishcookbook.com/2007/08/breakfast-suggestions.php

Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:
here ya go DALIA [Smile]

Thanks, Micky, I made this the other day and it was yummy.  -

I made a few changes to the recipe though, based on my time schedule and what I had available in the fridge: I used beer instead of yoghurt, fresh yeast instead of dry, and I let the dough ferment over night. And I added a bit of ground, dried fenugreek leaves.

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
i am glad you liked it...beer ? thats a good natural yeast..lol and i bet it tasted all so good [Razz]
i also posted a vegan post for you on this site..check it out [Wink]
Stir-Fried Vegetables with Toasted Cashews [Razz] [Razz]

*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:
i am glad you liked it...beer ? thats a good natural yeast..lol and i bet it tasted all so good [Razz]

I didn't have yoghurt and didn't want to buy any just for the two tablespoons used in the recipe. I figured it was basically used as some kind of catalyst for the fermentation process, so I thought beer might work well too. And, no, you don't taste it at all since it's such a tiny amount.

Btw., I even found a recipe online for a naan-like bread that uses beer as well:

-

http://seitanismymotor.wordpress.com/2009/09/01/beer-flatbread/

quote:
i also posted a vegan post for you on this site..check it out [Wink]
Stir-Fried Vegetables with Toasted Cashews [Razz] [Razz]

I might make this tomorrow because I just got a pound of fresh mushrooms, and I have broccoli in the freezer which I need to use up.
It's not entirely vegan / vegetarian if you use the oyster sauce though.  -

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com