Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Field to supermarket

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Field to supermarket
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just been watching a programme about how we get out of season food to our supermarkets here in the UK.
They firstly focused on 'new potatoes' which are grown 70 miles west of Cairo in the desert.Apparently the crop is watered using a sprinkler system which is accessed from below ground. It takes 18 hours to water the whole crop [Eek!] Hubby said that his boss when he worked at the fruit factory told him he sold his potato tubers to Egypt. Right enough a few minutes later the Egyptian potato grower said all his potatoes originated in Scotland! So potatoes that have originated in my little town now produce millions of tuns of potatoes exported back to UK, they also import the peat from Ireland that is used to protect the potatoes on their travels [Big Grin]

Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marydot
Member # 15932

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for marydot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched this too YAH it was very interesting, I bet they are sold as organic potatoes.I never check on the label when i buy them were they come from,might keep my eyes open next time!! I bet Egyptian spuds taste awesome roflmao!

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/marydotapple

Posts: 1048 | From: If you are given a blessing you may be envied | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he had a point that it gives employment and money to the less well off countries. Same here Mary,I will look at my food in a different light!
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we get alot of our potatoes here from idaho. the potatoe capital of the us.

http://www.idahopotato.com/recipes

http://www.idahopotato.com/

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com