Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Curried Cauliflower Bisque

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Curried Cauliflower Bisque
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MADE THIS AT WORK YESTERDAY...THE TASTE WAS AWESOME, I ALSO ADDED FRESH CILANTRO AND THE END FOR FRESHNESS [Razz] [Razz] [Razz]

Curried Cauliflower Bisque

Ingredients

* 1 head cauliflower
* 2 tablespoons canola oil
* 1 medium onion, sliced
* 2 small cloves garlic, chopped
* 1 tablespoon curry powder
* 1 1/2 cups low-fat milk
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
* 3 tablespoons very finely minced fresh coriander leaves
* 1/3 cup plain fat-free yogurt

Preparation

Trim the leaves off the cauliflower, coarsely chop the florets and stems and rinse them. Bring two quarts of water to a boil, add the cauliflower and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
While the cauliflower is cooking, heat the oil in a large heavy saucepan, add the onion and saute until tender, about eight minutes. Add the garlic, saute another few seconds, then stir in the curry powder. Cook, stirring, for two minutes. Add one-half cup of the milk and stir.
Place the cauliflower and the contents of the saucepan in a food processor, blender or food mill and process to make a smooth puree. Return the puree to the saucepan, add the remaining milk and bring to a simmer. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Mix the ginger and coriander with the yogurt.
To serve the soup, reheat it, spoon it into bowls and float some of the seasoned yogurt on each portion.

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egmond Codfried   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lovely recipe, I will make it, but I object to the low fat milk and fat free yogurt. Why, the Turkish supermarket has this 10% fat yogurt which is pure heaven. We will die anyway, let’s live happy. After you ate your soup you go to the club and work it out on the treadmill, no?

-

The other day I cooked dried eggplant which I had bought a long time ago at a Turkish shop. They form weird looking thin, dried, black cups on a string to be filled with a rice/meat filling. I soaked them over night then instead chopped them up en boiled them for an hour before making a tomato/pepper (paprika) sauce in which I boiled little Turkish, rice-like pasta. It really tasted and looked like fresh eggplant. The pasta absorbed the liquid and the whole thing became like a pilaf.

Posts: 5454 | From: Holland | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that sounds awesome too. and no i used heavy cream for my soup.it had a richer taste to it [Razz] [Wink]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True we will all die but these rich recipes (I won't dare use the word fattening [Big Grin] ) will make us die sooner. Ummm, really I shouldn't talk because I had a brunch today that was to die for. [Smile]
Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Egmond Codfried:
Lovely recipe, I will make it, but I object to the low fat milk and fat free yogurt.

Low fat milk and fat free yoghurt are yuck! If you want to cut down on fat or dairy fat, eat less cheese, or a smaller portion of meat etc. Yoghurt and milk are naturally low in fat already, does it really make sense to use a low fat / fat free version? How many calories would that actually save?

I agree on the 10% Turkish yoghurt, it's delicious. I like to use it for zaziki and dips.

-
But since I've gone mostly vegan, I've succesfully experimented with tofu-based dips and mayonaise.

-

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com