Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Chutney Delight

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chutney Delight
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Share Your Chutney Recipes Here:

I shall begin. I love chutney. I love it so much I can eat it by the spoonful. Here is the most basic chutney recipe of them all:

Tomatoes
Garlic
1 Green Hot Chilli Pepper
Coriander Leaves
Cumin
Salt
Pepper

Blend Them.

You want to get funky with that?! Add some Istanbuly Cheese, that's right mix it in and thank me later.

I know you want measurements, I don't have none, just go in the order stated above and don't use too little or too much coriander leaves (Kuzbara) or you will literally ruin the taste.

You might ask, what do we do with chutney, well you can use it to compliment some dishes, such as chicken and rice, you can use it as a dip with pita bread (Yummy).

Put it this way, once you learn how great chutney, you will wonder how you lived without it and you will know how to use, better than ketchup and mustard!

You can even make a drink out of it with yogurt drinks, this is for people who hate drinking plain milk. Just add some chutney with some plain yogurt milk and you will be assured of getting you calcium intake.

If you want it spicier, you can add hot sauce (Yummy).

[Smile]

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Noobs [Big Grin]

Use 1-2 tomoatoe
2 garlic cloves
1 hot chilli (take out seeds if you want)
a handful of coriander leaves

season to taste (with the seasonings above)

use the smaller blender too, not the large one that doesn't blend tomoatoes.

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marydot
Member # 15932

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for marydot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not had chutney in years same goes for mint sauce!!!

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/marydotapple

Posts: 1048 | From: If you are given a blessing you may be envied | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by marydot:
I have not had chutney in years same goes for mint sauce!!!

Well maybe the last chutney you had wasn't all that [Wink]

Try the chutney above, if you like bits of tomotaoes in your chutney then don't blend them all the way into an almost liquid.

You can also blend it with Istanbully Cheese.

Istanbully Cheese I THINK is equivalent to ligtly salted white cheese, I could be wrong.

marydot
Member # 15932

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for marydot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the recipe I will have to knock this one up. [Wink]
Posts: 1048 | From: If you are given a blessing you may be envied | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Exiled I will give this a go. Nice and easy recipe.
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Homemade Mango Chutney Recipe

Ingredients

* 2 cups sugar
* 1 cup distilled white vinegar
* 6 cups mangoes (4 to 5), peeled and cut in 3/4-inch pieces
* 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
* 1/2 cup golden raisins
* 1/4 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
* 1 garlic clove, minced
* 1 teaspoon mustard seeds, whole
* 1/4 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes (hot)

Method

1 Combine sugar and vinegar in a 6 quart pot; bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves.

2 Add remaining ingredients and simmer, uncovered, until syrupy and slightly thickened, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Stir occasionally during cooking.

3 Pour into clean, hot jars leaving 1/2-inch headspace; close jars. Process in a water bath 15 minutes.

Makes 6 (1/2 pint) jars

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com