Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » request please...Arabic moussaka recipe

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: request please...Arabic moussaka recipe
MrMoussaka
Member # 17647

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MrMoussaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a very good Arabic cookbook written by Egyptian author Claudia Roden, but I somehow lost it. Could someone please post something on moussaka, just like the way they like it in Egypt and the rest of the Arabic world?

I know the Greeks and Turks make some sort of bechamel sauce for the top, but Arabs just use yoghurt for the topping, no? Yes? Or, is the top sprinkled with nutmeg and cinnamon as well? Yes, if someone could please post a recipe(or link)...

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 62 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems that this is the recipe you are referring to:

http://www.africa.upenn.edu/Miscellany/Egyptian_Moussaka_12912.html

Tbh, I never had Moussaqa in Egypt that way. The stuff I usually eat, is more like this, but without meat:

http://egyptian-cuisine-recipes.com/recipes/vegetables/mesakaa-moussaka.html

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrMoussaka
Member # 17647

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MrMoussaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about fish recipes? Any favourite Arab fish recipes here? I love my fish! [Cool]
Posts: 62 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SAYYADIAH - Fish With Rice

* 4 whole fish, each about 12 oz.
* juice of one lemon
* salt
* freshly ground black pepper
* 3 cloves garlic, crushed
* 1 teaspoon ground cumin
* 2 medium sized onions, chopped
* 2 tablespoons oil
* 2 cups long grain rice
* 3 1/2 cups hot water
* flour
* oil for frying ( preferably olive oil)
* lemon wedges and parsley sprigs for garnish

1. Scale and gut the fish and leave the heads on. ( well, you don't have to if you don't want to.) Rinse and wipe dry. Rub surfaces and cavities with lemon juice, salt and pepper. Cover and leave aside for 30-45 minutes. Prepare the garlic and mix with the cumin. 2. Gently fry the onions in oil in a deep pan for 15-20 minutes until very soft and golden. Wash rice, drain and add to onions. Stir over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, then add the hot water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover pan and cook gently for 20 minutes. 3. Make 3-4 deep slits on each side of the fish and fill slits with garlic-cumin mixture. Coat fish with flour and shallow fry in hot oil until golden brown and cooked. 4. Remove fish and keep it hot. 5. Add about 2 tablespoons of the oil in which the fish was cooked to the cooked rice. Stir through with a fork, cover pan and leave rice for 5 minutes. 6. Pile rice on a platter, arrange fish on top and garnish with lemon wedges and parsley sprigs.

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrMoussaka
Member # 17647

Rate Member
Thanks Dalia and ChefMick!(*smiles*)...nice...

--------------------
...'knock on the sky and listen to the sound'...Zen saying

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com